The e has landed...

Post pictures of your Honda E here
Wee Peem

Post by Wee Peem »

I too get the rattle on certain road surfaces. It disappears if I have heat being ducted to the windscreen. I think I'll probably put up with it for now, rather than let someone with perhaps a less sensitive touch than I would like loose on my dashboard. 4 weeks of heaven now and still enjoying immensely. Black 16" wheels.

Isow

Post by Isow »

dVb9 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:21 am
londiniumperson wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:45 pm If it's anything like the typical Fiat, I'm surprised that the there's anything left for the windows to go up and down in :lol:

PS I wish that I could have afforded an X1/9, I passed my test whilst they were still being manufactured.

I genuinely think that the X1/9s were a patch above other Fiats in terms of build quality, as they were virtually hand-built by Bertone. Sadly, though, this didn't stop them from succumbing to tin worm and electrical gremlins.

I've had X1/9s since I was in my mid-20s, but unfortunately my current one had been off the road now for over 10 years and could do with a full restoration. Here it is in happier days:

Has it got the Abarth conversion to the engine ?
dVb9

Post by dVb9 »

Keithr, your Jaguar story puts me in mind of the time Peter Sellers was annoyed by a knocking sound coming from the boot of his Rolls-Royce.

One night he drove it round to Spike Milligan's flat in Bayswater Road, and asked Spike to get in the boot, the idea being that Peter would drive around and when Spike found the source of the noise he was to mark it with a bit of chalk.

Before long they were pulled over by a police car. The policeman heard muffled sounds coming from the boot, so Peter opened it to reveal Spike lying there with his piece of chalk. Reportedly all the policeman said was "Oh, it's you."
dVb9

Post by dVb9 »

Isow wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:24 pm
Has it got the Abarth conversion to the engine ?

'Fraid not, just the standard 1500. I did consider the Abarth option at one point, as well as the Uno Turbo engine, but if I was going to do anything with the powertrain nowadays, it would be an electric conversion.
dVb9

Post by dVb9 »

Wee Peem wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:46 pm I too get the rattle on certain road surfaces. It disappears if I have heat being ducted to the windscreen. I think I'll probably put up with it for now, rather than let someone with perhaps a less sensitive touch than I would like loose on my dashboard.

Yes, that's always the risk with these things. Glad it hasn't marred your enjoyment of the car.
dVb9

Post by dVb9 »

I think my Honda goody-bag has an inferiority complex...

rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

dVb9 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:21 pm Finally collected my car this afternoon, and I'm thrilled to bits with it.

The side cameras are fantastic (though I've not yet tried them at night or in the rain), and I've made a determined effort to leave the rear-view mirror in camera mode (as it was set at handover) to see how I get on with it. So far, so good, but I've noticed that in bright sunshine, as we've had in London today, the image can appear very washed-out, to the point that you can't really make anything out for a while.

A couple of niggles: while I'm generally very impressed with the quietness and ride quality (better than the Kona on both fronts), on certain road surfaces and at certain speeds it produces a cacophonous rattle from the front passenger side of the dashboard, and possibly from the door trim as well. I've tried emptying the glove box (just in case) but it's still there. The other annoyance is that the charging door is misaligned, which I didn't notice until after I'd got home. Hopefully both these issues will be sorted by the dealership.

Popping back on Friday so that they can set up the connectivity for the my Honda+ app (that is, I hope they can).

Oh, and yes - I did get the goody-bag. 8-) But not the floor mats - had to buy those myself, albeit with a discount.

Congratulations... and a nice crib you've got there too!
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

keithr wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:13 pm
dVb9 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:45 pm As for the dashboard noise, it's horrendous. Just hope I can reproduce it at will on Friday.
My Honda e also has a rattle, seeming to come from the middle of the dashboard, behind the screens. It's a buzzy rattle when going over some (not all) small bumps, but it doesn't rattle over big bumps, strangely. On a recent trip out of town I was driving at 50 - 55mph when the rattle became a continous non-stop rattle that lasted for 5 minutes or more, and only stopped when I slowed down. That was becoming a bit annoying! However, I had a 33 miles drive yesterday and I didn't hear the rattle once. The only difference that I can think of is that the sun was out and it had shone on and heated up the dashboard before the start of my trip. So if the rattle comes back in cooler weather then I think I'll have to take it to the dealer to see if they can fix it.

Someone named Nigel Sturgeon has posted a video of his Honda e dashboard rattle (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Qf9J6GxDs). It's a bit difficult to hear it, but it's yet another car with a dashboard rattle. So much for Honda making quality cars! The two Nissan LEAFs that I had been driving for the last 4 years never even once had a rattle. I had expected the Honda to be the same.
That's me!

Only just found this posting (and the others on this thread) about the mysterious dashboard rattle.

Briefly - a couple of weeks after I took delivery of my e, I noticed an annoying, intermittent 'buzzy' rattle coming from the direction of the dashboard. Worse on rough tarmac and concrete roads. Even my wife commented on it and she has less than zero interest in cars. Once it's 'in your head' you can't hear anything else, and it took the shine off my new purchase.

I took that short video and uploaded it in order to send it to the dealer for his comments before I took the car in. Before I knew it there were nearly 100 views :o One of whom was another e owner who had a similar noise in his car. He had traced it to the plastic casing around the base of the rear view mirror adjacent to the windscreen, he gave it a wiggle and it was OK.

As you would predict, the noise didn't manifest itself whilst the dealer had the car but it was back the next day. So I gave the plastic casing a good old poke and wiggle (I think there was a little click but I may have imagined that) and it's been fine since, nearly a week now. Fingers crossed ;)
Wee Peem

Post by Wee Peem »

Thanks for that Jaws. I've just "poked and wiggled" my plastic casing around base of rear-view mirror and rattle seems to have gone for good, even on our hellish Stirlingshire cart tracks called roads. I guess the heat when I ducted hot air up the windscreen to demist it was making the chunk of plastic expand and giving a temporary cure. Fingers crossed!
keithr

Post by keithr »

Jaws wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:51 pm another e owner who had a similar noise in his car. He had traced it to the plastic casing around the base of the rear view mirror adjacent to the windscreen, he gave it a wiggle and it was OK.
You're right, I'm fairly sure my rattle is coming from the forward facing camera unit that's behind (or in front!) of the rear view mirror. Unfortunately my wiggling and moving the cover didn't make the buzzy rattle stop - at one point it seemed to make it worse. I even tried squeezing something between the cover and the windscreen, but that didn't make any difference. So maybe I'll eventually have to get the dealer to try 'wiggling' it (or maybe even disassembling it and trying to find what's causing it).