Clicking relay behind the dash

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Yellow e

Post by Yellow e »

Had to take my e to the workshop today - in drive and reverse (but not when stationary) it developed a clicking relay behind the dash, clicking at about once a second irrespective of car speed, no warning lights. Diverted from my trip home straight to the dealer - about half an hour - and by the time I got there, there was also a faint electrical burning smell. Technician agreed with the tripping relay and smell but could not access the area behind the dash to locate the fault. Car kept at the workshop - the whole dash is going to have to come our to diagnose.
I’ll keep you posted!
Advance, Charge Yellow, little wheels, 3pin home charger.

Parker87

Post by Parker87 »

Yikes - that sounds iffy. I hope that it turns out to be something relatively innocuous and that you get your car back soon. Keep us posted please.
Yellow e

Post by Yellow e »

Still at the workshop. The whole dash has been removed along with the driver’s door inner skin. As of this afternoon, the faulty relay has not been identified - only one ‘e’ trained technician and they had some pre-booked services to do today. I get the dealer’s only loan car tomorrow and have it booked out to me until the 26th!!
Parker87

Post by Parker87 »

Heavy stuff. You can only be patient and trust that they know what they're doing. It's probably a pretty steep learning curve for the technician.
schodoodles

Post by schodoodles »

Ouch. Hope they fix it and it's quick and easy.
Think the worst bit might be the potential smoke smell imparted in the cabin as that's awful to get out.
Parker87

Post by Parker87 »

Any update yet Yellow e? Have they figured out which relay is at fault? Hope you're getting on okay with your loan car.
Yellow e

Post by Yellow e »

Nothing back from the workshop yet Parker87. One advantage is that I’ve done a lot of miles this week in their car not mine (but petrol costs a fortune at the moment!)
Parker87

Post by Parker87 »

Thanks for the reply. I hope that you get some news soon and can reclaim your car. It must take quite a while to reconstruct the dash etc.
Yellow e

Post by Yellow e »

The problem was traced to the door handle flip out mechanism which was sending a not closed message to the control unit in the dash. Whole mechanism replaced including the body coloured handle (which had to come from Belgium apparently). Car collected today but they had neither washed it or charged it. Glad to have handed the hybrid Jazz back, not a nice car.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Yellow e wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:09 pm The problem was traced to the door handle flip out mechanism which was sending a not closed message to the control unit in the dash. Whole mechanism replaced including the body coloured handle (which had to come from Belgium apparently). Car collected today but they had neither washed it or charged it. Glad to have handed the hybrid Jazz back, not a nice car.
I suspect that everybody should be getting a replacement door handle at or soon after their first service because mine was also recently replaced, though no reason was given.

BTW there's also an issue with the window/door switch on some cars because that was also replaced before the handle was.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post