Screen behind steering wheel shutdown

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
GreasyWeasel

Post by GreasyWeasel »

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue?

I picked my car up on Friday evening which is only 5 months old with 1300 miles on it. I absolutely love the design of this car and it's great to drive however less than 48 hours after I picked it up the screen behind the steering wheel suddenly went off while I was driving. No speedo anymore, I couldn't tell if my indicators where working since there was no display and no noise. I also lost regen braking even though I was set in one pedal driving mode at the time. All of the mirror cameras were still working but it was not able to display the all round cameras or reversing camera.

Luckily I wasn't too far from home and managed to get back but the car wouldn't lock or anything. I was able to perform a factory reset from the infotainment system which was still working. This brought the screen back to life however I got a series of warnings, one after another, that all of the various safety systems weren't working. I ended up having to leave it overnight and it appears to be working correctly again this morning but I'm obviously concerned about it doing this again.

I can see people have had issues with the infotainment screens but I haven't seen anything about the drivers display not working. I've obviously contacted the dealer who is going to pick up the car and take a look at it but my concern is that they won't find anything wrong since it's back to normal now.

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Welcome to the forum.

What you describe hasn't been mentioned before.

Whilst it sounds worrying - i suspect the 12v battery went flat or failed to take a charge, probably due to the car not being used recently and the cold weather. The 12v battery does not charge when you charge the high voltage vehicle battery from the mains. The 12v battery only charges when the vehicle is turned on and I believe the seatbelt is fastened. Given the cold weather and possible lack of recent use - my first bet would be to check and charge the 12v battery and see if all is well.

Let us know how it goes.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
GreasyWeasel

Post by GreasyWeasel »

Thanks for your reply and info. The dealer has literally just picked up the car and they mentioned they believe it may be an issue with the 12v battery. They've taken it away to sort it out but it's good to know this info, especially if the car is left unused for any period of time.

This sounds like the sort of thing they could resolve with a software update. I'm sure as the cars get older, this sort of issue may well present it's self more often.

Cheers.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I've never had a problem personally, but the car is used 5 days a week so ive not had chance for the 12v to get flat just yet. I purchased a cheap 12v jump starter pack (the smaller lithium ones) on the offchance i have a flat one day. If the car powers off and is completely flat on the 12v side, you will not be able to turn the car on at all. the 12v battery is pretty mall capacity wise considering the ammount of 12v systems.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

It never happened to me but it looks like a software hic-up. Resetting it was the best thing to do and I think all the warnings are normal after a reset, I would not be concerned.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Reuben80 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:12 pm It never happened to me but it looks like a software hic-up. Resetting it was the best thing to do and I think all the warnings are normal after a reset, I would not be concerned.
+1
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I’d confidently say that it’s a 12v battery issue as well.
When mine went completely dead I was on my drive, but like you had no display, couldn’t lock the car & the windows didn’t retract when door opened or closed, I couldn’t even charge the car’s traction battery.
As this happened whilst you were driving I’d request a replacement 12v battery if they haven’t already.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Jan44

Post by Jan44 »

When I saw references earlier in the forum to potential 12v battery problems, I bought a Lidl battery charger.
My question is:- If I leave the car unused for a week can I just connect the charger to the 12v battery terminals or do I need to disconnect it first?
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Jan44 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:24 am When I saw references earlier in the forum to potential 12v battery problems, I bought a Lidl battery charger.
My question is:- If I leave the car unused for a week can I just connect the charger to the 12v battery terminals or do I need to disconnect it first?
What does the charger manual state?
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
keithr

Post by keithr »

Jan44 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:24 am When I saw references earlier in the forum to potential 12v battery problems, I bought a Lidl battery charger.
The Owner's Manual says you should disconnect the battery cables before charging the 12 volt battery, but I've been connecting a 5amp smart battery charger once a week for over a year to my Honda e, just connecting to the battery terminals with the battery still in the car, and it has not caused any problems. I did the same with the Nissan LEAF that I had before I bought the Honda, again with no problems.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post