360 view, camera broken ?

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Gastarg

Post by Gastarg »

Hello lads, thanks for reading, im seeing a weird view always from my 360 camera, and I wonder if thats normal/expected or not
The quality of the rear camera used for the 360 view, is very bad, and I cleaned it, but is like seeing throught a bottle

Screenshot_20220210_085254.jpg

The alignments im pretty sure can be corrected with thar button combination to enter config mode, but if you see the image, only very near the car is good quality, I inow it has to deform the image because of the point of view of the camera, but i was expecting more quality, how is yours ? Any better ?

mogui

Post by mogui »

Yeah, I have the same sort of distortion on the back camera you have. It is quite bad indeed, my parents have a 2020 Mitsubishi Outland PHEV and their top down view/360 camera is flawless all around the car.
I was also very surprised the 360 camera stitch on the Honda E, looks so bad :(
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

It’s only useful as a basic guide, don’t ever try and use it to judge when very close (i.e. within 30cm) to anything because you’ll likely hit whatever you’re near.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

What you see is normal I'm afraid. The expectation is high, but the execution is a little underwhelming.

The colour temperatures don't match on my cameras either, with the sides and rears looking very different under artificial light (OK in daylight however).

Agree with Londinium - the very wide angle lens really distorts the perspective leading to a rapid acceleration of approaching objects. I still find reversing/reverse parking my E a complete pain in the arse - the mirrors and cameras are really unhelpful and mess with my otherwise decent awareness. I guess its fine for older people who don't move their neck much :o
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I took this today, as you can see it's 'standard' Honda quality for us all

IMG_0900.jpg

2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

EEEE wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:21 am What you see is normal I'm afraid. The expectation is high, but the execution is a little underwhelming.

The colour temperatures don't match on my cameras either, with the sides and rears looking very different under artificial light (OK in daylight however).

Agree with Londinium - the very wide angle lens really distorts the perspective leading to a rapid acceleration of approaching objects. I still find reversing/reverse parking my E a complete pain in the arse - the mirrors and cameras are really unhelpful and mess with my otherwise decent awareness. I guess its fine for older people who don't move their neck much :o
I am old and have restricted neck movement :cry:
I do find the 360 camera, irrespective of its resolution, very useful when parking in car parks, especially when you need to be central and square to the lines. With restricted movement, the issue I have is when reversing between cars or objects and I get a different perspective from the rear mirror, 360 camera and particularly the side cameras. At least there is the" Honda will brake before its hits anything" as a back up(one hopes)

I just changed my other vehicle to one that has a 360 camera view, for me it's a huge plus point to have.
Mathieu

Post by Mathieu »

"At least there is the" Honda will brake before its hits anything" as a back up(one hopes)"
My own experience: it does !!!
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

Gastarg wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:55 am The alignments im pretty sure can be corrected with thar button combination to enter config mode…
Wait, what button combination is that?! Do you mean this thing can be calibrated to remove that annoyingly large rear side blind spot that mine has had since new?
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:40 pm I took this today, as you can see it's 'standard' Honda quality for us all
IMG_0900.jpg
I love that picture, it makes it look like we drive Micro Machines!

But yes, quality is very variable. I can't rely on it as much as I had hoped, but I am still really happy to have it and all the other parking/safety aids that my old car didn't have. I can clearly see though that there must be other owners who have experienced better, and understand why they may not be so positive.
Mathieu wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:05 pm "At least there is the" Honda will brake before its hits anything" as a back up(one hopes)"
My own experience: it does !!!
I agree - and in my experience it seems pretty well dialled-in, and has never intervened itself other than when I was already in the process of starting to brake. One thing that did catch me off guard was a few days ago I was reversing into my parking space against a fence and was going a little quicker than normal and I swear that the collision warning came up and the car came to a much more abrupt (and further away from the fence) halt than I had planned. I had always assumed that the automatic braking was just linked to the radar at the front, but if Honda have also wired in the sensors at the back, I'm actually quite impressed. Maybe it's because it's the Advance and required for the auto-park?
rickwookie wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:26 pm
Gastarg wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:55 am The alignments im pretty sure can be corrected with thar button combination to enter config mode…
Wait, what button combination is that?! Do you mean this thing can be calibrated to remove that annoyingly large rear side blind spot that mine has had since new?
I'd also be interested in knowing about this.
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

i wonder is there a way to override auto braking feature? I mean if I need to park super close to or even come in contact with some bush or pile of soft snow?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post