Quick Plug-in charging system problem

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Taskinen

Post by Taskinen »

I also contacted Recharge (the operator of the charger) and they contacted Kempower (the manufacturer of the charger). Kempower wanted more diagnostics information and work order from the service. But I will have them tomorrow at the earliest.

Let's see what Honda service says tomorrow. I also have warranty (German terms) still valid, so in any case I will not pay anything. I don't care if Honda or Recharge (or even Kempower) pays the repairs :)

Taskinen

Post by Taskinen »

I went to the service and they just cleared the error codes. Now the car charges fine also with a DC fast charger, and no errors are shown in the dashboard.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Taskinen wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:00 pm I went to the service and they just cleared the error codes. Now the car charges fine also with a DC fast charger, and no errors are shown in the dashboard.
Did they say what the problem was or just delete the errors? I am actually curious.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
Taskinen

Post by Taskinen »

Well, they just deleted the errors.

I tried asking the customer service guy, where the problem was but he was unsure. "Maybe some software bug. Who knows. Modern cars are like this."

It's still very suspicious that a different Honda e suffered the same thing with a same brand charger. I'm suspecting a software update which was recently made to the charger.

I forwarded my experience to the charger operator and the charger manufacturer. I'm pretty sure they know something more that we don't. Let's hope it was something they have fixed already.

I don't know if I am brave enough to try Kempower chargers anymore :D Have you @Omniv had your car "fixed" already?
keithr

Post by keithr »

Yes, it's probably a software problem in the charger. It reminds me of a problem I had with my POD Point home charge point. Before the Honda e I had a Nissan LEAF 40kWh. It used to charge with no problems, but then it started terminating the charging after about 30 miuntes of charging, which was rather annoying. I read in the LEAF forums that a software update to the POD Point charge point would fix it, so I e-mailed POD Point and within a day they remotely updated the sofware (it connects to the Internet via my home Wi-fi router) and as expected that fixed the problem. It was probably an update that they did without me knowing that caused the problem, and it was a problem that only affected Nissan LEAFs, not other models.
nate42

Post by nate42 »

Another Kempower victim here. Charge stopped at 98% and same exact faults. A bit annoying that you have to go to dealer to reset those faults. Could have something to do with the charge rate dropping very low at the end of the charging. It doesn't make much sense to fast charge these cars above 95% the last 5% is painfully slow. My guess is that also those Kempowers are usable if you just stop before full charge.
Taskinen

Post by Taskinen »

Well I stopped my Kempower charging at 70% when the charging rate was still (relatively high) 32 kW. So it can't be the reason.

See my image "seconds before failure" from:

viewtopic.php?p=13086#p13086

Has anyone charged a Honda e successfully from a 250 kW Kempower unit? Or any Kempower unit?
Stiwaz

Post by Stiwaz »

My dealer told me there is a fix for this now. Getting mine 25. august. They called it a battery mangment update..
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Stiwaz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:14 pm My dealer told me there is a fix for this now. Getting mine 25. august. They called it a battery mangment update..
Great to hear that, software updates are always welcome.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
pauketju

Post by pauketju »

Taskinen wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:35 am Has anyone charged a Honda e successfully from a 250 kW Kempower unit? Or any Kempower unit?
I charged from 30 to 97% without issue on the 250kw kempower chargers here in Norway last week.
Advance Platinum pearl white 17"

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post