Bidirectional charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Seven companies based in Switzerland have joined forces to test the installation of bidirectional charging for electric vehicles. And the lucky car is the e! So it is possible, only they have to turn it on.

https://www.gims.swiss/news/v2x-suisse- ... l-charging and https://www.mobility.ch/de/v2x
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

The Honda e was always purported to support V2G with hardware & software that was V2G capable before any standard was ratified & there was a collaboration between Honda & Vattenfall to design a EVSE capable of supporting V2G. This was touted as being an option under the e:Progress product range, however in the UK until recently they had not made L2 chargers available, let alone V2G options.
One of the reasons I purchased my e over another make/model was the possibility of V2G, however my hopes of this becoming reality have long since faded away.

This subject has been mentioned a few times in this forum, have a search if you want to find them.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

londiniumperson wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:06 pm The Honda e was always purported to support V2G with hardware & software that was V2G capable before any standard was ratified & there was a collaboration between Honda & Vattenfall to design a EVSE capable of supporting V2G. This was touted as being an option under the e:Progress product range, however in the UK until recently they had not made L2 chargers available, let alone V2G options.
One of the reasons I purchased my e over another make/model was the possibility of V2G, however my hopes of this becoming reality have long since faded away.

This subject has been mentioned a few times in this forum, have a search if you want to find them.
Same as me...
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
keithr

Post by keithr »

londiniumperson wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:06 pm One of the reasons I purchased my e over another make/model was the possibility of V2G, however my hopes of this becoming reality have long since faded away.
I thought that the second generation Nissan LEAF (40kWh) that became available in the UK in March/April 2018 was the first car that was V2G ready, through its CHAdeMO DC connector. I see that Nissan have approved its first vehicle-to-grid charger for use in the USA - Nissan LEAF getting first ever V2G charger. (That web page says that all LEAFs since 2013 have had V2G capability, and "Until now, they have lacked a charging unit capable of leveraging that capability in the US, but today Nissan announced availability of that very thing".)
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

keithr wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:07 pm I thought that the second generation Nissan LEAF (40kWh) that became available in the UK in March/April 2018 was the first car that was V2G ready, through its CHAdeMO DC connector. I see that Nissan have approved its first vehicle-to-grid charger for use in the USA - Nissan LEAF getting first ever V2G charger. (That web page says that all LEAFs since 2013 have had V2G capability, and "Until now, they have lacked a charging unit capable of leveraging that capability in the US, but today Nissan announced availability of that very thing".)
Every ev sold in japan has been V2X compatible for quite some years now by law. Being CSS is were the E has an upper hand.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

keithr wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:07 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:06 pm One of the reasons I purchased my e over another make/model was the possibility of V2G, however my hopes of this becoming reality have long since faded away.
I thought that the second generation Nissan LEAF (40kWh) that became available in the UK in March/April 2018 was the first car that was V2G ready, through its CHAdeMO DC connector. I see that Nissan have approved its first vehicle-to-grid charger for use in the USA - Nissan LEAF getting first ever V2G charger. (That web page says that all LEAFs since 2013 have had V2G capability, and "Until now, they have lacked a charging unit capable of leveraging that capability in the US, but today Nissan announced availability of that very thing".)
The Honda e is the only EV available for purchase in the UK that is CCS V2G capable (hardware & software); I didn't want a Leaf nor any car that uses a CHAdeMO connector because I felt that they were the Betamax of video players and felt that CCS would be more commonplace in the years to come.

However I was tempted in early 2020 when there were some consumer electricity suppliers that had a subsidised trial lease deal on the Leaf with the bidirectional Wallbox Quasar dc charger, which I seriously considered because the lease was very cheap and the V2G charger would become the leasee's at the end of the lease, considering that they cost approx £4000 it seemed a bargain deal. However, I lived just outside the trial area :(
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post