Localisation disturbed – GPS|iPhone|Apple CarPlay

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
syy355

Post by syy355 »

Having this issue as well and wanted to chime in..

According to Reddit Carplay also uses compass information which may be off:
Does anyone know how to re-calibrate the compass on the E?

miura88

Post by miura88 »

You try to go at 32kmh or under for set gps.
syy355

Post by syy355 »

miura88 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:08 am You try to go at 32kmh or under for set gps.
Thanks! Let me try that, curious where did you find this information?
miura88

Post by miura88 »

my gps didn't work for a year and i couldn't find the solution and neither did honda, who passed me this official info for try
syy355

Post by syy355 »

Unfortunately driving under 32kmh for ~5 minutes with the car navigation app in the foreground did not fix anything for me :( I tried this multiple times over the last few weeks.
Strangely there was a period of a few days where it worked well, and it always seems to have an accurate location at the start of the trip, and then losing accuracy a few minutes / ~1km in, perhaps as Carplay tries to switch from phone gps data to the car gps?
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

When the issue occurs, I think it is something to do with the compass as mentioned. When it starts to go wrong, I notice that the arrow on the map tends to be pointing off at a tangent to the actual direction of travel on the road (should be pointing straight ahead).

I suspect that perhaps the car does not have a compass (but does have GPS), and relies on the phone sensor. Perhaps the phone sensor is being affected by the large electric currents between the battery and the motor , and after a while android auto just goes 'This data doesn't make any sense anymore'. It is hit and miss, most times it's OK, but occasionally it will start to lag behind and then get stuck - normally only a few minutes after use. Perhaps the phone orientation makes a difference too?

When it works, it works for the whole journey (aside from the normal connection/starting issue which is almost certainly a Xiaomi specific issue).
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I’m wondering if it’s a general phone issue and nothing related to the car.
My reasoning behind this is because on a recent drive from Newcastle to the South coast in another car (not our Honda e) both my iPhone and my son’s Nothing Phone lost the GPS signal a couple of times and zoomed off the route at so we had no idea of which direction to take at the next junction.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
hondaeboy

Post by hondaeboy »

londiniumperson wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:21 pm I’m wondering if it’s a general phone issue and nothing related to the car.
I agree. I always assumed that the car's GPS was not used anyway, if you are using CarPlay, because aren't you running the apps all from your phone then? If you use the car's on-board Garmin navigation, I would assume it would use the car's GPS, but if you use your phone apps, I would think it would use the phone's GPS.

I did have a localisation problem for a little while, until I realised I hadn't given proper location permission to the navigation app in my phone (Android though). I had set it to "Allow location use while using the app", but it stopped updating the location as soon as I put the phone away or close the protective lid. I had to set it to "Allow location use all the time" to get the navigation app to function properly again.
2021 Honda e Advance on 16" RC30 wheels with Goodyear 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
Wrapped in Red metallic with full black and cinnamon leather interior.
Deleted User 928

Post by Deleted User 928 »

Messaged removed
Last edited by Deleted User 928 on Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

HondaEOwnr wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:01 pm I'm not sure whether this thread is still live, but I've spent several hours testing this with a dealer. The problem appears to be specifically related to the Honda E and Apple CarPlay. We've tested Android Auto and the integrated Nav in the car and both work fine. The problem seems to be related to all Navigation apps running on an iPhone, such as google maps, Apple Maps, Waze Tom Tom, CoPilot, etc. We tested wired vs wireless, different iPhones, different cables, different iPhone settings and different Honda E's and all exhibited the same problem. Interestingly, other Honda cars, such as the Jazz, HR-V and CR-V don't have the same problem. The problem seems to be worse in some parts of the UK than others and I'm suspicious it could be something to do with the antenna. I've reported it to the Honda Customer Escalation team, who were very dismissive and told me to let Apple know they have a problem and if I wasn't happy, to talk to the Motor Ombudsman, which I intend to do.
Please do NOT spam lots of threads with a cut & paste of the same text.
You have only posted 3 times and ALL of these are identical on different topic threads.

This thread appears to be the most appropriate, so how about deleting your other posts and continue on only this one, that way people might be more inclined to provide advice or their experiences.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post