Ongoing 12v battery problem

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

EEEE wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:04 pm I would also try a full software reset of the infotainment - it's so glitchy and bad it wouldn't surprise me if a software bug is to blame for not going to sleep when it should.
Pulling the AUDIO fuse for a few days would answer that.

It really happened to me that the infotainment wouldn't shutdown with the car and drain 12v but only if it was already unresponsive prior, not randomly.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂

Onthecharge

Post by Onthecharge »

I don't think it's parasitic drain The battery voltage goes from 12.90 volts down to 9.0 volts in a matter of seconds the voltage line drops vertically , this has happened 3 x times in the last 2 weeks as plotted on the battery monitor The car has been in the honda dealership for a week and it luckily ? has happened twice while there Honda has said fit a new 12v battery this will be the 4th one in 12 months. I think may have to have a chat with the dealer principal soon.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Onthecharge wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:29 pm I don't think it's parasitic drain The battery voltage goes from 12.90 volts down to 9.0 volts in a matter of seconds the voltage line drops vertically , this has happened 3 x times in the last 2 weeks as plotted on the battery monitor The car has been in the honda dealership for a week and it luckily ? has happened twice while there Honda has said fit a new 12v battery this will be the 4th one in 12 months. I think may have to have a chat with the dealer principal soon.
At the expense of you repeating yourself, are you sure all batteries were new when replaced? A drop to 9v is unrealistically low in seconds, minutes maybe, not seconds unless you have a massive short. A kind of short to cause a fire.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

FDAD wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:46 pm
Onthecharge wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:29 pm I don't think it's parasitic drain The battery voltage goes from 12.90 volts down to 9.0 volts in a matter of seconds the voltage line drops vertically , this has happened 3 x times in the last 2 weeks as plotted on the battery monitor The car has been in the honda dealership for a week and it luckily ? has happened twice while there Honda has said fit a new 12v battery this will be the 4th one in 12 months. I think may have to have a chat with the dealer principal soon.
At the expense of you repeating yourself, are you sure all batteries were new when replaced? A drop to 9v is unrealistically low in seconds, minutes maybe, not seconds unless you have a massive short. A kind of short to cause a fire.
Could it be possible the battery hasn't been replaced after all 🤔
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Onthecharge

Post by Onthecharge »

this is what the battery monitor shows

IMG_0076.JPG

londiniumperson

Has the dealership checked that this isn't linked to the door handle/window issue?

Mine repeatedly wound down the driver's door window, initially just a little every now & then but the dealership denied there was an issue for months and refused to do anything, then a couple of times I came out to the car in the morning and the window was down completely, which was not good when it rained overnight, again they were insistent that there wasn't an issue with the car and eventually the window chattered up and down almost constantly on a 2 hour drive. This time they said there was a known issue :roll: and once the parts arrived (after several weeks of using a car with a chattering window) it is now not an issue.

A couple of points:
  • A couple of times the car's 12v battery was completely drained by the morning, but the typically useless dealership ignored my issue about that as well, but again since the door parts were replaced I've not had a single issue with the 12v, though my battery monitor seems to think otherwise.
  • Don't believe anything the dealership tell you or expect that they will actually attempt to locate the issue until it is obvious.
Onthecharge

Post by Onthecharge »

I will suggest that to service reception when I new visit 2 x new door handles were fitted when I first had the car. when. I get the feeling when you suggest anything to garage staff they think you talking out the top of you head and just give you a blank look. When I told them about the drivers side door handle wouldn't closed and took them out to show them, guess what, a passenger side was ordered .
londiniumperson

Onthecharge wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:51 am I will suggest that to service reception when I new visit 2 x new door handles were fitted when I first had the car. when. I get the feeling when you suggest anything to garage staff they think you talking out the top of you head and just give you a blank look. When I told them about the drivers side door handle wouldn't closed and took them out to show them, guess what, a passenger side was ordered .
Every main dealer mechanic that I’ve come across has a huge ego and are arrogant, not able to accept that a customer might actually have an idea behind a fault. I had to take a new Renault back 13 times to get one single fault resolved, and guess what, the fix was what I had repeatedly asked them to look at. Rather than listen to me they replaced a lot of the front suspension when it was a faulty engine mount.

The sales team are no better; a few years ago after I had seen a national advert to test drive the e-Golf, I visited my local dealer in person. Only after repeatedly asking, they booked a date for a 30 min (not the 48hr test drive advertised), afterwards they wouldn’t entertain discussing with me the options around ordering one, but kept wanting me to buy a petrol version instead.
I gave up because of their attitude.

I hope that there must be someone that has had a good main dealer experience because I never had.
Onthecharge

Post by Onthecharge »

Dealership called me on Wednesday am to say they had contacted Honda and fitted a new 4th battery no contact since then I still have new Honda E demonstrator
Onthecharge

Post by Onthecharge »

Dealer has contacted me this morning, Honda UK have said the problem is that if the new 12 volt battery in not fully charge when fitted and is in a semi discharged state the E will only recharge the 12 volt battery to the semi discharged state as fitted ( if that makes sense ? ) I am not convinced this is the cause ,we shall see !

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post