Turn lane keep assist off forever?

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
irrotational

Post by irrotational »

I know it can be turned off when driving...but is there any way to turn it off permanently? Via hacks or long combinations of button presses or something?

I've had several instances where it tries to nudge me INTO oncoming traffic and I'd really rather it didn't.

We have bumpy country roads here, often with no white lines but black ridges in the road from trenches dug etc. It seems to just make up its own markings or incorrectly read those black lines.

Permanently enabling safety features that are only ever additive to safety is fine imho, permanently enabling a feature that easily glitches and gives false warnings EVERY drive, and actively tries to kill you 1 in 50 drives is a bit much imho.

MattHero

Post by MattHero »

I don't believe so and I think having it activated by default is part of the vehicle's Euro NCAP rating.

But I hear you as I do a lot of my driving on the same sort of roads and have to keep an eye on this behaviour. It can be very insistent can't it?
2020 Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
irrotational

Post by irrotational »

Ah ok thanks for the reply. It's just a stupid decision/implementation.
Hammo

Post by Hammo »

😬 I agree, it’s the same same with a few of these ‘safety features’ constant beeping about lane departures, hands on the wheel etc, hoped they would have an opt out by now👍
Verone

Post by Verone »

The only part that annoys me about the system is that it sometimes flags up a warning when I'm changing lanes, with my blinker on.

I don't understand why Honda couldn't have programmed it to know that the car's blinker is on, and to mitigate sending alerts because a lane change is in progress.
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Are you sure the warnings are for the lane assist and not for the blind spot? I have never seen a lane assist warning with my blinker on. I often see a blind spot warning when indicating a turn with something being in the blind spot.
upsilon

Post by upsilon »

I think it requires us to activate the turn signal before we turn the steering wheel to avoid the warning popping out. Quite often when I did both at the same time, it activates the warning.
Verone

Post by Verone »

upsilon wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:53 pm I think it requires us to activate the turn signal before we turn the steering wheel to avoid the warning popping out. Quite often when I did both at the same time, it activates the warning.

I always activate the blinker and let it flash a couple of times before I change lanes, so it's not this.
MaXPainT wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:40 am Are you sure the warnings are for the lane assist and not for the blind spot? I have never seen a lane assist warning with my blinker on. I often see a blind spot warning when indicating a turn with something being in the blind spot.
Nope, it happens even when there are no cars there, and it's the lane departure warning icon that flashes up on the dash, without the warnings illuminated under the blind spot monitor.

It's really weird behavior, and it's literally the only thing that annoys me about the car :lol:
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Maybe you have over sensitive sensor? I've never witnessed this in 3 years.

It'll probably start doing it now I've posted that :-)
Ex e owner
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Verone wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:15 pm Nope, it happens even when there are no cars there, and it's the lane departure warning icon that flashes up on the dash, without the warnings illuminated under the blind spot monitor.

It's really weird behavior, and it's literally the only thing that annoys me about the car :lol:
I'm forever getting the Road Departure Mitigation System warning even on a perfect weather & road conditions, it'll regularly disables & reenables itself many times on most journeys.

Note that this is different from LKAS (Lane Keeping Assist System), which requires the use of the indicators before changing lanes.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post