Heater/air vents question

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
captainzep

Post by captainzep »

Had our E standing for 3-4 weeks, (needed to charge 12v battery). All was fine until I came to drive it and there’s a horrible sickly smell coming through the air vents. I suspect a mouse has got in and I’m inhaling mouse urine -or rotting mouse. The fan is making a noise too as if it’s rotating against leaves brought in to make nest (or bits of dead mouse).

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get at the system to vacuum it out without dashboard out etc. (or handing £millions over to Honda?)

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

The cabin fan will be behind the glovebox most likely. If it's like most honda's, you can press in the retaining tabs and lower the glovebox completely. This should then let you access where the pollen filter is and access part of the fan. Can't be too much more specific as I haven't need to venture down there on the e yet.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
captainzep

Post by captainzep »

Many thanks. Will take a look.
captainzep

Post by captainzep »

IMG_0069.jpeg

Well, you were 100% right. The glovebox drops down quite easily to access the pollen filter. This is what I found, pollen filter chewed through and stained with mouse urine. Smell is horrible. I’ll probably need to see if I can drop the housing for the fan and check if I can remove more debris but it’s a good start. Thanks again.
captainzep

Post by captainzep »

Also… now reading about Hantavirus risk through rodent urine -given that I’ve now been inhaling fumes via my E!
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I'm sure you will be fine! I'm not sure where the intake for the blower box comes from, so not sure how a rodent would actually get in!

If you are likely to park the car for long periods where rodents are, you should look up some precautions as you may not always be so lucky that its just a cheap £20 pollen filter (Think wiring harnesses!).

As for the smell / virus , I'm pretty sure you can buy an air con conditioning kit from the likes of Halfords. You set off the aerosol can in the passenger footwell with the blower on recirc. It will then discharge into the intake continuously for a while, and distribute the product through all the vents. Should hopefully shift the smell if nothing else.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
captainzep

Post by captainzep »

Great advice again. Many thanks.

This isn’t the first issue we’ve had with mice under the bonnet. We needed a screenwash pipe replaced earlier in the year after a small hole had been nibbled just off the pump. One of the downsides of rural living probably!
madbiker

Post by madbiker »

Any sign of the intruder?
2022 Honda E Advance, Modern Steel Metalic, 16” rims.
2017 Honda MSX125.
2016 Nissan Navara Tekna on 4C air ride.
2009 Honda TRX700 road registered.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post