Honda e Key and Battery

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
welshhonda

Post by welshhonda »

So, having only owned my 2020 Honda e for 4 weeks it has spent 2 of them in a Honda Dealership. So I believe I was struck by the same issue as many others having come out to my car to find the alarm going off and a flat battery. What makes this more frustrating is that we were unable to gain access from the key.

So I guess there are two questions

1, How do I know if the car needs a software update of this nature that would render the car unusable?

2, Any idea on they key, I tried both, so did the Honda technicians no one could gain entry.

I am now at the point of returning the car and walking away, so any advise is greatly received.

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

The key is slightly fiddly. I tested the exact process this morning and can see how people might get it wrong:

1) pull the handle only to the 1st position of the resistance (eg, very lightly, the position they go to when they pop out), not a full open/pull (that is the 2nd position).

2) once the handle is pulled out to the 1st position only, put the key in the lock. It will practically touch the paintwork of the car. You may want to put some masking tape on the door

3) turn the key anticlockwise, it will hit some resistance/spring , keep turning and then hold the key against the spring (eg fully turned)

4) then, and only then, pull the handle to the 2nd position - the door will open.

If you get step 2 wrong, and pull the handle to stage 2, and then turn the key - the door will not open. Maybe I need to do a YouTube video...

Regarding software updates , there are 2 types:

1) the infotainment software update - you can do this yourself over USB or WiFi. This updates the infotainment and nothing else. It may prevent software bugs in the infotainment from draining the batteries. Who knows, it was only release a couple of weeks ago. There may well be updates to other modules, but these are dealer only and would only be done if you had a known issue. As far as I know, no one here has access to the list of bulletins.

2) If I had my chance again, I'd probably get rid of it. Car has already had 2 new door handles under warranty. My 12v battery has gone flat 3 times and I had to buy a new one out of pocket (bigger one fitted). It is not going to last as long as Hondas of the past, I suspect it will be nothing but small annoying glitches every year from here in... My alarm has never gone off though, only when washing / pressure washing near the rear hatch / handle area....
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
welshhonda

Post by welshhonda »

Thank you for the detailed response a video be ideal but to be honest the car will unfortunately need to go. It has developed a knocking noise from the passenger side as if the door is trying to lock itself and also the passenger window is no longer flush. Annoying none of these faults were there before its latest visit to Honda.

Taking the advice from another Honda e owner I think the view is if given a second chance don't buy. A shame for what could have been a fantastic little car.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

There are 2 noises you can get from the front doors.

You may get the occasional door handles trying to retract. This mostly happens when you come to a stop and drive off or periodically when stationery. The door handles are common failure points it seems. If the handle doesn't retract (Because the mechanism is worn, worse when iced up) , the car just keeps trying to close them. Very annoying.

I have also had the other noise, which is that of the electric window trying to close every other second. It's closed and fully up, but for some reason it thinks the door has just closed, so tries to put the window up again. Its already at the extent of its travel and its just flexing the mechanism. One user reported an electrical burning smell as it persisted for so long the motor must have gotten pretty hot. I suspect there is a microswitch in the door latch mechanism responsible for this.

If your window is not sitting flush (eg , it didnt drop down when the door was opened), then I would suspect the door latch.

Like you say, it is a shame that the other compromises you take in the car (space, range, price) cannot be rewarded with the usually excellent honda reliability :(
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

welshhonda wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:14 pm Thank you for the detailed response a video be ideal but to be honest the car will unfortunately need to go. It has developed a knocking noise from the passenger side as if the door is trying to lock itself and also the passenger window is no longer flush. Annoying none of these faults were there before its latest visit to Honda.

Taking the advice from another Honda e owner I think the view is if given a second chance don't buy. A shame for what could have been a fantastic little car.
As another Honda e owner, I would avoid ALL Honda cars if you think that you might ever have to contact ANY Honda dealer, they are beyond useless & dishonest. I cannot discuss any further due to on-going legal reasons.

You have 100% made the correct decision to hand the car back.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post