Headlight colour has changed?

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
ZeroEmissionRequiem

Post by ZeroEmissionRequiem »

This is really weird, but a few days ago, when activating the front camera for driving into my parking spot, I noticed the light from the left headlight appeared very yellow on the screen:

IMG_20240102_230005s.jpg

The difference in tone on the left is nowhere near as obvious to the bare eye as it is through the front camera. Here's a phone camera photo; the light on the left is slightly warmer:

IMG_20240102_225857s.jpg

It has been like that since then. Naturally, I've made sure both headlights are clean.

I always use the front camera while approaching the wall at the end of my spot, and I find it difficult to believe I wouldn't have noticed this before. Furthermore, it's an underground car park, and the lighting conditions have always been the same.

Any ideas...?
2022 e Advance

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I swear I have noticed something very similar with my side mirror cameras. When I reverse out of my drive/cul de sac , the right hand mirror has a decidedly blue tint to the composite image / 360 view. The rest of the image looks natural.

But, after I have completed my journey or park up at my destination, the blue tint is never there. It only ever seems to be there first thing in the morning.

I suspect its something to do with that particular camera and temperature. Once its been in use and warmed up, perhaps it comes into spec?

That doesn't quite explain your image, as that is from the single front facing camera. As your second image proves, the headlights are naturally the same colour.

Its possible the lens coating has some effect or is inconsistent, but why it would be worse on one side and not the other is anyone's guess.

As a test, you could use a mirror to see what the right hand beam looks like when viewed from the left hand side of the camera/sensor. It could be that the LED has had changes to the non-visible light spectrum which is not visible to decent camera / human eye but is visible to cheap CCD sensors...
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
MrM83

Post by MrM83 »

It’s not something on the wall that is changing the colour or affecting it is it? Or something that’s causing some kind of glare as I appreciate the camera image, whilst not as extreme, still shows a warmth difference?
ZeroEmissionRequiem

Post by ZeroEmissionRequiem »

EEEE wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:46 pm I swear I have noticed something very similar with my side mirror cameras. When I reverse out of my drive/cul de sac , the right hand mirror has a decidedly blue tint to the composite image / 360 view. The rest of the image looks natural.
Oh certainly, the side mirror cameras clearly don't coordinate their image settings, especially tint or white temperature. That makes the 360° look a bit silly at times...
EEEE wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:46 pm That doesn't quite explain your image, as that is from the single front facing camera. As your second image proves, the headlights are naturally the same colour.
I disagree, the difference is visible to the naked eye, albeit only barely. To highlight it, here's an animation of that same photo, alternating between original and mirrored:

headlights.gif

One side is slightly warmer-tinted, but front camera vastly exaggerates the difference.

Well, at least the difference is only noticeable enough to be annoying when viewed through the front camera. I'll keep an eye on it, in case it changes more over time...while not very common, it's not unheard of for an LED headlight to go bad.
MrM83 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:07 pm It’s not something on the wall that is changing the colour or affecting it is it? Or something that’s causing some kind of glare as I appreciate the camera image, whilst not as extreme, still shows a warmth difference?
Shouldn't be; nothing has changed there. I also noticed the same thing at our office garage.

This tuesday I visited a dealership due to having a few error messages (quick plug-in charging system problem & power system problem, courtesy of a DC charger around here), and I first noticed this headlight tone thing when returning home that evening. Still, I can't really see how clearing a few fault codes and doing a 12 V battery test could be related to this, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Maybe I'll ask them, just in case.
2022 e Advance

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post