Unable to start Honda e

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
craigw

Post by craigw »

The starting button is flashing, but I can't get the car to start! The button stops flashing and stays on when I press the brake pedal. Emergency lights work but absolutely nothing else does. Any suggestions as to what has gone wrong and how to start? Main battery is about 80% last time it was used (which was a few days ago).

iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Flat 12V battery? You're not the first and only one.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
Verone

Post by Verone »

My 12v battery went flat a couple of days back because I was a moron and left my lights on.

I had all sorts of strange behavior with my lights, but the behavior you're describing with your start button was one of the things that happened with my car.

Like many others on these forums, can't recommend enough replacing the factory Panasonic battery with something a bit more beefy.
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km
craigw

Post by craigw »

Cheers fire the responses. What did you replace the factory fitted battery with?
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

You can replace it with any '053' battery. You can get a Yuasa 5000 series '053' from halfords for just under 100quid, a straight swap.

I fitted a larger '005' battery, but this requires removing the battery tray and replacing the hold down bracket with something larger - and it doesn't really fix the problem of the phantom drain that afflicts these cars. I always recommend keeping a booster pack in the glove box, and practice opening the car with the key so that you know what to do the next time you get stranded.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

EEEE wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:08 am You can replace it with any '053' battery. You can get a Yuasa 5000 series '053' from halfords for just under 100quid, a straight swap.

I fitted a larger '005' battery, but this requires removing the battery tray and replacing the hold down bracket with something larger - and it doesn't really fix the problem of the phantom drain that afflicts these cars. I always recommend keeping a booster pack in the glove box, and practice opening the car with the key so that you know what to do the next time you get stranded.
Would be interesting to know how long your original 12V battery lasted, before you replaced it. Mine was replaced under warranty April 2022 (less than 2 yrs since Aug 2020) and now after nearly 2 years I have similar issues. Expect to buy from Halfords this week Yuasa 5000 for around £80 with discount.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I do not know the date of manufacture, but it was replaced simply because it had gone flat recently. At the time the car was about 27 months old (from registration date).

It went flat completely around the time the software update went out, and had gone flat previously when laid up for 2 weeks. Also went flat another time because I left the door open for 10 minutes having turned the car on and done the seatbelt.

Such a fragile car - I wouldn't want to lend it to anyone in case they left the drivers door open or sat in it for 5 minutes and flattened the battery...

What are your journeys like (frequency / duration)?
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
HondaNoMore

Post by HondaNoMore »

We had a similar issue today. Changed key fob battery and started. Seems to go through these wee batteries like sweets.

As to our saga of parasite drain of the 12v battery - after the E was with the dealer for about six weeks and much dealer to Honda chit chat - (probably with the second brainiest person in Japan) - both door handles were replaced and no issues since.

The car - like many EVs and other modern cars is over engineered. Keep it simple as possible as all mechanisms will fail and the more complicated fail sooner.

Old Mr Honda will be turning in his grave ...
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

HondaNoMore wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:59 pm Changed key fob battery and started. Seems to go through these wee batteries like sweets.
Weird, I've had my car over 3 years and both fobs are on their original batteries, though I only use one of them.

I use auto unlock/lock so it's rare I actually press a button on it, also do you leave you fob fairly close to the car when it's locked - that could be a possible cause for it to go flat quickly.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
HondaNoMore

Post by HondaNoMore »

We used the autolock as well. Key is kept well away from car. Maybe will get better batteries in future rather than Home Bargains " specials "....

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post