Wheelbase & Track comparison

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Not sure about others, but I get more than a little frustrated by many Reviews talking about the e as a “cute little car”. Although it may be marketed as a City Car, and smaller than many modern SUVs and Crossovers that have entered the market over recent years, I don't feel the e is that small.

So I thought I would spend a little time comparing the stats of cars I have owned, and here are the results, which you might find surprising. I could add more like Mini Cooper etc, and others might compare with other City cars, like Fiat 500, Ups etc, not to mention Clios, Peugeots, Corsa, Polo etc.

We know Honda worked hard to stretch the Wheelbase, but the track width is also “a useful size” if you get my drift. It is also the tallest in this list, which IMO adds to its appeal.

24D45EBB-6810-4F88-B0C7-97F548D81024.jpeg

Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons

Left4Cookies

Post by Left4Cookies »

Nice. It’s always interest to compare these “small” cars.

A while ago someone in here posted this site where you can overlap all the different cars on top of each other, as well as see the dimensions obviously. It’s pretty cool and though it’s small, it’s by no means the smallest.

https://cardiff.aray.jp/cardiff_g_detai ... m2=8&k2=12
bogga

Post by bogga »

Interesting, great link too.

What you do have to remember about car widths is, they do not include the mirrors... So the E can fit through smaller gaps and 'feels' thinner.
ChesterUK

Post by ChesterUK »

Get it into a standard parking space, and it doesn't feel small at all, and the figures reflect that.
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

The most common comment from people I meet, is that the E is larger and more roomy than they thought it would be. It is short though (good).

I much prefer cars about 4m length for 98% of my driving. Unfortunately smaller cars are most often more basic/cheaper in construction.
The Mini (2015-) and the E are exceptions proving that small cars can have 'large car handling' qualities without loosing the small-car advantages. These days where most people apparently 'need' a 2ton SUV to drive the kids to school, and infotainment is more important that handling, high quality small cars are unfortunately niche 🙄
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Look at this.

F6181AAB-44B2-4DBA-84C3-684C8B5B9B80.jpeg

1BE1A9BC-12F8-41F1-8147-A91166A518B4.jpeg

Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

iHansz wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:16 amLook at this.
That's because only one of these two cars has a usable boot! :lol:
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

advance2020 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:58 pm Not sure about others, but I get more than a little frustrated by many Reviews talking about the e as a “cute little car”. Although it may be marketed as a City Car, and smaller than many modern SUVs and Crossovers that have entered the market over recent years, I don't feel the e is that small.

So I thought I would spend a little time comparing the stats of cars I have owned, and here are the results, which you might find surprising. I could add more like Mini Cooper etc, and others might compare with other City cars, like Fiat 500, Ups etc, not to mention Clios, Peugeots, Corsa, Polo etc.

We know Honda worked hard to stretch the Wheelbase, but the track width is also “a useful size” if you get my drift. It is also the tallest in this list, which IMO adds to its appeal.
Half an inch wider, and two and a half inches taller than the Golf! :shock:

The wife's first comment when we saw the e in the flesh was "it actually looks quite a bit bigger than I though it would". She currently drives a Golf.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Glad you guys are finding the comparison chart useful. I agree with others, who thought the 'e' in the flesh looked bigger than expected first sight. Certainly my reaction, when I first saw the Prototype e at Design Museum, July 2019 - maybe part of the reason I was sold there and then. My aim was to compare the footprint of these cars - i.e where the rubber hits the road. Having no ears (wing mirrors) does make it easy to drive into my garage. Cleaning the roof today required a step up to reach the centre, so the e must be tall and wide. Never had that problem before.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

advance2020 wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:52 pm Cleaning the roof today required a step up to reach the centre, so the e must be tall and wide. Never had that problem before.
You might be shrinking. :lol: