Windscreen crack

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
igb

Post by igb »

I've just had the windscreen changed on my 22 plate Advance.

The crack started from the driver's side A pillar, about half way up, and extended about a foot across horizontally.

Autoglass ordered the part, but said it would be several weeks. I decided (as it was going in for a service anyway) to see if Honda would do it under warranty, as it looked like a stress fracture and I couldn't find any impact point.. They agreed, but by the time I had got enough information in their hands to order the part Autoglass had actually got a Honda-marked OEM windscreen, and fixing it was more important than the £75 excess. I ended up at the Autoglass training centre in Birmingham and the guy who did the work, who appeared to be one of their managers, pointed out the very small impact mark near the A pillar and said that impacts where the glass is supported from behind (a) don't leave as large a mark and (b) often result in cracking. Whatever, they did a tidy job and the car's fine. Nearly four weeks to get the glass, though.

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD »

Hi all,

a tiny stone hit my e today and left a crack across the windscreen so this will have to be replaced :( Made an appointment at the local carglass but didn't hear anyone mentioning any trim as described above. What kind of trim parts need replacing?

thanks!
happyV

Post by happyV »

Carglass war very confused with my e also. My recommendation is that you tell them in advance that you have either the heated or the non-heated windscreen - those are the two relevant trims for Carglass.
ChrisD

Post by ChrisD »

Thanks! Will check this, as I have the heated one.
ChrisD

Post by ChrisD »

Update: My windscreen has been replaced successfully! They did mention it was quite a pain to remove the black pillar trim pieces because of the many bolts Honda used to secure them. And to access them they had to remove all rubber door seals. Anyway, the result is looking good :)