Potential new 'e' owner

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

Hi, Just signed up but not yet purchased the 'e', so looking for some advice.

I know the range is not particularly high - has this created any issues for owners?

Are then any options that I should ensure the car must have.

Is internal space an issue?

My current EV is the MG ZS EV Trophy Connect Long Range.

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Hello.
As for answering your questions they are all down to your personal choice and preferences as everyone has different priorities. We can’t answer on your behalf.

Hasn’t your current car only just been released, what’s making you want to switch so soon?
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

I've had the ZS EV for 9 months.

Okay on lack of answers :-)

Guess I will look at a mini.
Verone

Post by Verone »

Hey Chewy,

Not sure why this thread is so quiet - take a look at a similar thread I created earlier in the year. Based off the responses I got, I ordered my car and I'm currently waiting on delivery!

Hope this helps!
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Oh no, don't get a mini! Get the E instead!

No issues with the range so far. I don't even have to charge it everyday!

Get the advance model. Heated seats are a must!

There is plenty of internal space. I don't even mind the back seats not being a split!

Now a bit more seriously. The E is a perfect car for me. Is it a perfect car for you? I have no idea cause I don't know you and your situation. Unfortunately, your message doesn't provide enough inside on your range or internal space needs.

As for looking at a mini... We are not selling the E's here, look at whatever car you want. If it was intended as a threat it was completely unnecessary and came out a bit childish.

Hopefully, this isn't too harsh, since no offence was intended. Take care, mate :)
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

Lack of back doors and feeling that you are sitting in a tank was decision making points not to choose Mini. Range is about the same in both cars, so If it's is an issue then you should look for something else. Also I like fact that there is no doubt about Honda (that it's EV) but Mini looks like a usual Mini :D
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I know the range is not particularly high - has this created any issues for owners?
Yes, if you ever want to go more than 40 or 50 miles from home, you have to use public charging if you want to get back. This is acceptable off-peak but can involve waiting at peak times (Saturday/Sunday). If applicable, factor in how prepared your passengers may be to wait for this (The wife generally is not keen to wait so that we can take the little green car, when other cars are available that can refuel much quicker and easier). For non time -sensitive trips this might not be an issue, but if you had a wedding to attend or similar, you cannot rely on public charging. You also can't offer to pick people up en-route because you have limited miles. For day to day commuting its fine and not an issue, but for all my weekend journeys out of town, the e normally takes a back seat.
Are then any options that I should ensure the car must have.
Arm rest for practicality, it makes for a nicer relaxed drive. For looks, I'd like the sill illumination garnishes. Front spoiler thing is silly, you can hardly see it black on black. Glad I didn't pay for it.
Is internal space an issue?
Boot is tiny - you'll get 4 plastic bags of shopping in there, not much more. Remember, if you carry your charge cables with you, you'll be moving them about from boot to rear floor and interfering with rear passenger leg space. Front sitting passenger space is OK, but getting in and out I find my infrequent front passengers banging their knees and turning on the heated seats. Rear seats are OK for short journeys, but wouldn't want to sit in there for 2 hours as an adult.

If you have the luxury of multiple cars, the e is a great companion for most of your commuting and day to day journeys - but it cannot really be the main car unless you very rarely go far and are prepared for the jeopardy of public charging / waiting.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Chewy

Post by Chewy »

Thanks for the replies and some good pointers.

The link to the other similar thread was excellent and covered a lot of questions. Thanks @Verone.

The ZS EV is my main car and is perfect for long distance driving and this won't be going anywhere because it is such a brilliant EV (we have a Range Rover to pull our caravan as I see no way any EV is suitable for doing that). I am looking for something that is a bit different to other cars on the road for a second EV car and the Mini electric, Fiat 500 electric and the 'e' are really the only choices.

Quick question: does the 'e' use AA/CP wireless or plugged?
555djx

Post by 555djx »

Chewy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:53 pm Quick question: does the 'e' use AA/CP wireless or plugged?

If you search for Tech Jamo on YouTube he did a video some time ago that showed how to enable wireless Android Auto; I’ve been using it regularly but it can be a little slow connecting on occasions.
2021 SEAT Mii electric Tornado Red 09/21 - 11/22 & 04/23 to ??
2017 Honda Civic 1.5L VTEC Turbo Prestige Auto Orchid White Pearl 12/22 to ??
2022 Citroën Ami Pop 11/22 - 04/23
2020 Honda e Advance Platinum White Pearl on 17s 12/20 - 12/22
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Chewy wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:53 pm
Quick question: does the 'e' use AA/CP wireless or plugged?
I've tried to use it wirelessly with my Samsung 10e and found it to be unreliable to the point that nowadays I prefer to plug it in. Sometimes it just doesn't want to connect and I had to turn things on and off again which is not ideal when you just want to sit and go. So your mileage may vary. I would not count on this feature when making the purchase decision.

As a former Fiat 500 ICE driver I was also considering the new 500e. Took it for a test drive as a matter of fact. The infotainent screen is nicer on the Fiat and with the bigger battery it has a longer range, the rest of the features are nicer on the E. Keep in mind that the Fiat uses a camera for collision detection, which can be blinded by sun, fog, rain etc (happened to me during the test drive). Meanwhile the E uses a lidar so I consider it a safer car.

And to be honest, after driving the ICE 500 for more than 5 years I don't trust the Italian quality regardless how many Maserati jackets Fiat workers are wearing while assemblying the 500e. Honda has a much better reputation in this regard.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post