Early adopter Twickenham

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
chart70

Post by chart70 »

Hi, I’ve been running a white e Advance since August 2020, one of the first batch off the ship. We love it but two recurrent problems, one of which is covered in the forum but the other I can’t find.
1. On locking the handles don’t retract fully or at all. We had the passenger one replaced in summer 21 but it still happens, and the drivers side one is doing it now. The dealer said the part had to come from Wuhan!
2. Offside rear window seems to open randomly. We’ll report this on next summer’s service.
Otherwise, aren’t these the best fun in the city?!

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Hello there.
I think that you'll find both of these issues are related to the known faulty door handle because that exact same thing happened to mine (weird that it was also the offside rear window on mine) within the 1st year and I've just last week had the driver's door handle replaced a second time.

BTW - The dealer is talking bullshit, like they all do. When this happened the second time I went in full bore with the dealer and got it replaced within a week.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Has anyone investigated the reason behind the handle issue? Knowing what causes it might help more than constantly replacing. One Tesla 3 owner told me to lubricate the handles with spray silicon lubricant. I am thinking about trying it but not sure if it will do something and won't cause the dealership refusing to replace mine in case the method won't help at all. Good old normal handles is probably the top item on my wishlist with the E.
betonos

Post by betonos »

As for the handles, mine work normally, but I've observed that during some cold nights, when there was some water frozen in the handles, at first they didn't want to open at all. Bu then, after some time, they started opening, but didn't want to retract fully (sometimes no movement at all, later leaving maybe 1cm gap). Only after some more time, when the ice has totally de-melted, they began closing fully.

And I assume that was due to ice inside the mechanism causing enough friction to prevent retracting. And I believe even little friction prevents retracting - i didn't have to use any real force to close the handle by hand. It was minimal friction.

Said that, I believe, that dirt and such, getting in there over time, could prevent the handle from retracting, because even low friction does that. Therefore, maybe spraying silicon lubricant and/or giving it some pressurized wash (but don't overdo it, you can damage the handle by using too high pressure water!) could do the trick and fix the handle?