Hi all

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
YogiX

Post by YogiX »

Purchased a 2022 Honda E for my wife Saturday. She is very excited.

Have been looking at other EV since her previous car got totalled by a van driver. She wanted a car with 360 cameras and most of the of EV's just have dynamic reversing cars or you have to pay a lot. The Honda E has everything she needs and in her words "very cute".

Will be picking it up next week. Having a Honda dash cam fitted.

She is looking forward to feeding the fish and the possibility of watching Netflix with a coffee whilst waiting for after school clubs to finish.

Any quirks or interesting features you can share?

Isotope Toast

Post by Isotope Toast »

Congratulations! I have a 2023 that got delivered in December and I love it.
A few quirks:
- if it's moist and then freezes, your door handles might freeze shut
- sometimes the driver's side window goes slightly up and down, up and down, for no reason up and down. I think it might have to do with water/weather/sensor or whatever. It lasts some seconds but then has always gone away. It doesn't happen that often.
- Infotainment system will randomly tell me I don't have a curren subscription. I press ok, the notification goes away and everythings works fine just like before.
- I've had the tire pressure warning come on twice. The first time I was really concerened, checked all tires, everything was fine, so I just reset the sensor. When it happened the second time I also reset the sensor and since then, no warnings.
- You can only use the aquarium while in Park.
- Maybe not a quirk, but the Sport Mode does react faster to the gas pedal, however it has some automatic braking in it, so for max. range, use Normal Mode.
- Even with the charging cable attached, pre-warming uses 3-4% of my battery.

These are all things I can live with. The car is amazing and fun and I'm always excited to drive it. I hope your wife lets you use it now and then!
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I’m glad you’re enjoying the car.

As to the potential for the handles to freeze; if you preheat the car before you try and open the car then this is very unlikely. This will also help to unfreeze the windows because they need to drop to allow the door to open.
The driver’s window going up and down is a known issue due to a design issue with the door handle allowing water to run down the outside of the window into the internal mechanism.
In regards the tyre pressure warning. I’d keep an eye on that because if it happens again then it could be that you have a slow puncture.
In Sport mode it is possible to drive just as efficiently as Normal, it’s all down the driver, but then driving gently defeats the object using the Sport mode.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

It's a great little car. It drives and rides well, and has nearly all the gadgets you could wish for. It's quiet, fast, looks cool etc. As long as you don't need to go too far too often (public charging and time taken to charge), you'll love it.

It has lots and lots of little foibles that detract from traditional honda qualities, but not massively. As mentioned, the door handles feel a little poor, get stuck open or closed in cold weather, and eventually can fail with water ingress which leads to further problems with windows opening/shutting etc etc. 12v battery can (most likely will) go flat at some point etc etc. I try not to list all the quirks anymore as each will enjoy it on its own merit and come across problems or not. I'm a car person so minor problems I can fix and even though it's my daily, I have a spare car, and the wife has her own. I doubt it could be lived with as the only car in a household or indeed as someones only car. as a 2nd car its fine. Each to their own however.

Worrying about charge/range/quirks/etc only detracts from what a car is about, fun and effortless motoring within 40 miles of your home charger.

Let us know when you pick it up and what your thoughts are. No point loading you up with worrisome burden before hand!
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

EEEE wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:20 pm I doubt it could be lived with as the only car in a household or indeed as someones only car. as a 2nd car its fine. Each to their own however.
Yeah, counterpoint: it's my only car. It's still fine.
Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Everyones use case and personal circumstances are different. For me it works for the daily commute and most weekend 'light work' (shopping, visit to nearby town / cinema etc). But any kind of 'busy' weekend or purposeful trip (family trips/weddings/funerals etc), the car falls short, it's outside it's design envelope. It is limited in interior space / passenger count and mileage. In major towns and cities you might have numerous close rapid chargers, but in the sticks of Oxfordshire most towns may only have 1 rapid charger. Good luck with your busy weekend if you want to charge at peak time. Also, if you have a partner or spouse, its double the time wasted (that's waiting for and then charging, your time and their time). Don't forget the slight hassle of planning which charger to stop at if your not familiar with the area, maybe even having to drive a few miles out of the way to get to it.

This weekend I'm off to some air force base to photograph some motorcycle rider colleagues on a track day. It's just about in range. But given there is no charging at the destination (where the car would be parked up for ~4 hours of dead time), and its an early (perhaps cold) start, the trip there and back is just on the limit of what I'm happy to do. Public charging out of peak time is better, but who wants to wake up and leave even earlier to charge up early on the way there when the battery is mostly full. Saturday lunch time charging on the way back runs the risk of busy/contended chargers, making a 'half day' a bit longer. It's also not a productive time as most chargers are not in decent places (random library car parks, edge of industrial estates etc). Those are not faults of the car, but those facts further limit its utility.

Even with the prelude which negates the range/charging issue, even that isn't a solve all for me (2 door coupe). Need to get some long PVC waste pipe from screwfix? Pick up a new flat screen tv? What about picking up that MultiFunction a4 laser printer from work in its box? None will fit in the E or the prelude even lol. I can barely get 4 tote bags of food shopping in the e's empty boot (and it always seems to interfere with the parcel shelf making the clonking over speed bumps). Leaving a wedding and someone asks can you give them a lift? (nope, no 5th passenger allowed and I don't have the range lol).

If your a city dweller, or not a busy person then perhaps it is fine as the only car, but id say about 50% of the weekend times, the e cannot meet my needs (whether space or range), luckily the civic has both (even though I don't really like it in itself).
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
YogiX

Post by YogiX »

Isotope Toast wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:55 am Congratulations! I have a 2023 that got delivered in December and I love it.
A few quirks:
- if it's moist and then freezes, your door handles might freeze shut
- sometimes the driver's side window goes slightly up and down, up and down, for no reason up and down. I think it might have to do with water/weather/sensor or whatever. It lasts some seconds but then has always gone away. It doesn't happen that often.
- Infotainment system will randomly tell me I don't have a curren subscription. I press ok, the notification goes away and everythings works fine just like before.
- I've had the tire pressure warning come on twice. The first time I was really concerened, checked all tires, everything was fine, so I just reset the sensor. When it happened the second time I also reset the sensor and since then, no warnings.
- You can only use the aquarium while in Park.
- Maybe not a quirk, but the Sport Mode does react faster to the gas pedal, however it has some automatic braking in it, so for max. range, use Normal Mode.
- Even with the charging cable attached, pre-warming uses 3-4% of my battery.

These are all things I can live with. The car is amazing and fun and I'm always excited to drive it. I hope your wife lets you use it now and then!
Thanks for your post. Hopefully my wife won't experience too many issues. I know her last car had tyre pressure problems :D
YogiX

Post by YogiX »

EEEE wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:20 pm It's a great little car. It drives and rides well, and has nearly all the gadgets you could wish for. It's quiet, fast, looks cool etc. As long as you don't need to go too far too often (public charging and time taken to charge), you'll love it.

It has lots and lots of little foibles that detract from traditional honda qualities, but not massively. As mentioned, the door handles feel a little poor, get stuck open or closed in cold weather, and eventually can fail with water ingress which leads to further problems with windows opening/shutting etc etc. 12v battery can (most likely will) go flat at some point etc etc. I try not to list all the quirks anymore as each will enjoy it on its own merit and come across problems or not. I'm a car person so minor problems I can fix and even though it's my daily, I have a spare car, and the wife has her own. I doubt it could be lived with as the only car in a household or indeed as someones only car. as a 2nd car its fine. Each to their own however.

Worrying about charge/range/quirks/etc only detracts from what a car is about, fun and effortless motoring within 40 miles of your home charger.

Let us know when you pick it up and what your thoughts are. No point loading you up with worrisome burden before hand!
Thanks. Picking up this weekend. Fortunately my wife only has short journeys so range hopefully won't be a problem.
YogiX

Post by YogiX »

EEEE wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:42 pm Everyones use case and personal circumstances are different. For me it works for the daily commute and most weekend 'light work' (shopping, visit to nearby town / cinema etc). But any kind of 'busy' weekend or purposeful trip (family trips/weddings/funerals etc), the car falls short, it's outside it's design envelope. It is limited in interior space / passenger count and mileage. In major towns and cities you might have numerous close rapid chargers, but in the sticks of Oxfordshire most towns may only have 1 rapid charger. Good luck with your busy weekend if you want to charge at peak time. Also, if you have a partner or spouse, its double the time wasted (that's waiting for and then charging, your time and their time). Don't forget the slight hassle of planning which charger to stop at if your not familiar with the area, maybe even having to drive a few miles out of the way to get to it.

This weekend I'm off to some air force base to photograph some motorcycle rider colleagues on a track day. It's just about in range. But given there is no charging at the destination (where the car would be parked up for ~4 hours of dead time), and its an early (perhaps cold) start, the trip there and back is just on the limit of what I'm happy to do. Public charging out of peak time is better, but who wants to wake up and leave even earlier to charge up early on the way there when the battery is mostly full. Saturday lunch time charging on the way back runs the risk of busy/contended chargers, making a 'half day' a bit longer. It's also not a productive time as most chargers are not in decent places (random library car parks, edge of industrial estates etc). Those are not faults of the car, but those facts further limit its utility.

Even with the prelude which negates the range/charging issue, even that isn't a solve all for me (2 door coupe). Need to get some long PVC waste pipe from screwfix? Pick up a new flat screen tv? What about picking up that MultiFunction a4 laser printer from work in its box? None will fit in the E or the prelude even lol. I can barely get 4 tote bags of food shopping in the e's empty boot (and it always seems to interfere with the parcel shelf making the clonking over speed bumps). Leaving a wedding and someone asks can you give them a lift? (nope, no 5th passenger allowed and I don't have the range lol).

If your a city dweller, or not a busy person then perhaps it is fine as the only car, but id say about 50% of the weekend times, the e cannot meet my needs (whether space or range), luckily the civic has both (even though I don't really like it in itself).
Thanks for sharing your experience. We took our old Sainsbury's shopping boxes when we test drove the Honda and they just fit with the charge cables.

I too have a Civic so we use that as the family car. :D
YogiX

Post by YogiX »

Does anyone have any thoughts on the charge port cover?