Mileage so far?

All Honda E related discussions
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

ZoeDave wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:03 pm It's unfortunately normal. Last week I had to spend the week in Leicester for a training course (I live in the outskirts of London). Travelling up in my Zoe was fine, but could I get a charge there? -redacted- no! Twice all the Tesco chargers were taken, an on the last chance I went to a Lidl and the one rapid AC was locked to a Kangoo ZE without a single electron flowing. A friendly DPD driver arriving for the CCS told me that the van was always hogging the charger. I thought it was fine, and then found out the hard way that the AC rapids had been removed from the service stations on the way home. The result was a limp to a Tesco, a long charge, and then another for 45min at a deserted car park on the outskirts of Milton Keynes, allowing me to get home while navigating around the angry queues for petrol.

I hope to pick up my e tomorrow, and my main takeaways are:

1. CCS will be brilliant. Range was the main reason I hesitated to order an e but CCS would have allowed me to charge at both the Lidl and any Motorway services along the way.

2. I don't think that enough thought is put into what chargers are installed into any particular location. Only putting 7 kW points into a supermarket car park, unless you are working there for an 8 hour shift, seems close to pointless, while many hotels and other places where you will spend 4+ hours lack even a 3-point plug.
Can you definitely use a 22kW type2 whilst either Chademo/CCS are in use on a rapid?
I believe that the 7kW chargers at supermarkets are perfectly adequate because a big shop will take about an hour & on the Honda that'll be a 25% charge, even 30 mins should provide an additional 10-15 miles range.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

londiniumperson wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:16 am Can you definitely use a 22kW type2 whilst either Chademo/CCS are in use on a rapid?
Not sure - I think it can vary from charger to charger, but in this case it was only the type 2 plug that was in 'use', with no charge being taken, so CCS worked fine for the delivery driver who arrived just after me.
londiniumperson wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:16 am I believe that the 7kW chargers at supermarkets are perfectly adequate because a big shop will take about an hour & on the Honda that'll be a 25% charge, even 30 mins should provide an additional 10-15 miles range.
Fair point - I definitely don't spend as much time when I visit the supermarket compared to many. And any charging point is better than none. It just strikes me that the time required for a useful charge on a 7kW at a supermarket is at the upper end of the typical visit time, whereas there are loads of places where most would spend 2+ hours with no points at all. Even a 3kW would net you more range in a typical visit.

Edit: I should add that I'm talking about points in a typical out-of-town with nothing else to do supermarket. In a town where you can walk to loads of other shops etc and come back before the maximum parking time is up, a 7kW is perfect.
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

I clocked up approx 7500 miles in first 12 months, with Lockdowns, retired, not working. Not sure how, just enjoying myself, and taking the wife out occasionally. Have had to do some long trips 200+ to Devon of late, so nearing 9500 now in 14 months.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
Swiss Navy Commander

Post by Swiss Navy Commander »

16,000 miles - only problem is the 12v battery - had it replaced under warranty, but I am far from sure that has solved the problem - and the problem is I don't know what causes the battery to die
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

SuperRocket61 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:01 am I would like to feel more positive about long journeys - is the strategy to research charge points carefully or to only use a known charge network or trust to the gods of fate? Do you have a lot of apps and/or RFID cards?
Overall we have not done that many long journeys but during September we had some regular journeys of over 100 miles each way, Fortunately there was an InstaVolt with 2 chargers midway, and a large Tesco with 4 PodPoints within walking distance of our destination. We knew both of these would be reliable and fortunately there were EV bays free. However I would recommend getting RFID cards for any networks you might use on a regular basis. These are far quicker to use, even with InstaVolt. And I like having Accounts with all the networks I use to keep track of Charge History, spend etc.

These are my current favourites ranked
1. PodPoint @ Tesco 7kW & Lidl Rapid 50kW
2. InstaVolt 50kW - 40p
3. MER - local 22kW Type 2 30p Dorset Council
4. SWARCO 50kW CCS 30p Somerset Council
5. BP Pulse 7kW Type 2 - just use Free ones where possible (old Polar, Local Council funded)
6. GeniePoint CCS - price is now 42p! @ Morrisons mainly - my local one at a Shell Garage never likes my car (yet to find out why it refuses to charge).

Also I update info on Google Maps. Have a List of Chargers I have used across SW England. Also use ZapMap and compare Availability with Network Apps
I have found info on BPPulse App can be Frequently incorrect! Posts shown to be Charging yet no one is there! I am always chasing them to send an Engineer out to faulty ones. But sometimes it's the Local Council, or ASDA that doesn't care. You will get to know your favourites in your region and build up confidence over time. Generally it's fine. ZapMap users feedback. Some are ultra negative, which is not always helpful.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
londiniumperson

advance2020 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:27 pm 6. GeniePoint CCS - price is now 42p! @ Morrisons mainly - my local one at a Shell Garage never likes my car (yet to find out why it refuses to charge).
I also cannot charge at the nearest Morrisons GeniePoint 11 miles away but can at the local town carpark GeniePoint.
Isow

Post by Isow »

2,300 miles
londiniumperson

To get back on track, I’ve done 8132 miles in the first 12 months and I would estimate that all but less than 500 miles is my work commute.
Swiss Navy Commander

Post by Swiss Navy Commander »

Imagenow at 29,319 miles

Faults to date: - just that irritating problem with the 12v battery - HOWEVER since buying NOCO boost jump starter - £100 from Halfords no problem at all - I suspect if I took it out of the car it would misbehave - in some ways I want the 12v battery to fail so I can try it out !

IMG_367D068EE37C-1.jpeg

Minky92

Post by Minky92 »

Minky92 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:50 pm 12,816 miles since September 2020. Many more road trips and long journeys up and down the UK than I'd planned for.
Now up to 31,320 miles... That's after about 30 months. She's been busy!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post