Charge port glass lid shattered….

All Honda E related discussions
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:35 pm
MaXPainT wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:32 pm I am not sure that replacing tempered glass with a polycarbonate is such a great idea. Polycarbonate scraches much easier than glass. Since the part is glossy black it will start looking scuffed in no time. I am also concerned about polycarbonate's UV resistance. I would not want a piece of scratched yellowish plastic on my bonnet. Consider covering it with some protective film (or a ceramic coating) if you will go with the polycarbonate option.
It’s easy to obtain polycarbonate with UV protection, as for scratching, well the panel across the front (and rear lights) is polycarbonate and they’re a lot more likely to be damaged than a small horizontal panel on the bonnet.
Oh really? I had an impression that those are glass. Well in that case yes, polycarbonate with UV protection is a valid option.

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

The gap at the back where the glass meets the bonnet looks way too large.

I agree, it looks like its bent - like it may have been forced closed whilst something was underneath, or the mechanism was jammed?

Was the car lent to anyone or worked on by anyone? I got my car from the dealer, and bonnet is chipped from wipers so not even the experts know how to use it properly.

However it has happened , it sucks that the part cost is so high! If you got a quote with the part number , you could try amayama.com where the prices might be more favourable (Although I'm not sure how many of the parts for the e are made in japan).
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

EEEE wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:08 pm The gap at the back where the glass meets the bonnet looks way too large.

I agree, it looks like its bent - like it may have been forced closed whilst something was underneath, or the mechanism was jammed?

Was the car lent to anyone or worked on by anyone? I got my car from the dealer, and bonnet is chipped from wipers so not even the experts know how to use it properly.

However it has happened , it sucks that the part cost is so high! If you got a quote with the part number , you could try amayama.com where the prices might be more favourable (Although I'm not sure how many of the parts for the e are made in japan).
When I took an E for a test drive from a dealership I have checked the bonnets of the Es they had. All of them had the paint chipped by the wipers. This is why I have specifically requested to check if the paint is fine on the actual car I have purchased. In any case, it looks easier to mishandle the wipers than to break the charging port.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:28 pm
zemdega wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:34 pm It's only me or top part is bend quite a lot inside? Or it supposed to look like that?
I don’t think the the cover is fully closed.
Looking again and with zemdega’s post it does look like the cover has been bent, which if that is the case then it’s not surprising the glass has shattered.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

londiniumperson wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:00 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:28 pm
zemdega wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:34 pm It's only me or top part is bend quite a lot inside? Or it supposed to look like that?
I don’t think the the cover is fully closed.
Looking again and with zemdega’s post it does look like the cover has been bent, which if that is the case then it’s not surprising the glass has shattered.
The question is how it's done and how to avoid it.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Looks like the charging port was perhaps open, and then forced back by vandalism (kicked back?) There is no way you could easily bend it like that with the lid closed. I cant imagine it was open, something was between the bonnet and the lid, and then the lid closed (It would be more localised).

You cannot open the charging port when the car is locked, so I can only assume it was done when the port was open and charging.

If your car facing anyone when charging? I used to charge mine overnight only in the early hours, and that blue light could quite easily push someone over the edge (not that its a justification of course).
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Fakeplasticman

Post by Fakeplasticman »

Defo doesnt look right - you can also see that theres an impact point near the bottom - looks like a stone chip - that could have been the start of it?
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

Looking at it one more time I have a new theory :D Glass pattern suggests that there was impact point near bottom as Fakeplasticman noticed. Glass is very rigid so metal part of lid didn't need to be very strong. Now when glass is shattered lid becomes "soft" so closing it might bend it easily.
Garenio

Post by Garenio »

Smucker the exact same thing has happened to mine. It looks like a stone has hit it. Has yours been fixed. I think I will have to make an insurance claim. I’d also be very interested to hear if it’s a common thing. Very annoying!
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

Tempered glass have it's weakness. Start to think that I would like to put some protective film on it when I get the car.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post