Lowest Charge State driving

All Honda E related discussions
Nick68

Post by Nick68 »

Was on a wee jaunt last weekend and due to a faulty public charger, we had to move on to next town.
We arrived on 13% and charged up to just over 80% before heading home - about 70 miles.
The last 30-40 miles included quite a few hills which fairly depleted battery so 4-miles from home we crested the last one just dipping to 9% which I managed to get back up to 10% going down the far side then 11% down the lane and reversing into garage at home - the remaining range was showing as 12 miles.
Question - how low can you go before it calls a halt?
Is 0% the same as an empty petrol/diesel gauge where you can still maybe eke another few miles out of it? I do know that I once coaxed a BL FreightRover with a Rover V8 about 4 miles and up a short hill before coasting about 20m to a garage where I put maybe 75l into a 70l tank.

nyx

Post by nyx »

In one test they drove 19.8 miles after hitting 0%, so there’s a healthy margin. Knowing that has made me a bit more daring.

https://hond.ae/new-owner/#subzero-range
Patte

Post by Patte »

Interesting, that would mean that we have 80% of total battery capacity to play with (80% of 35,5kwh equals 28kwh).
This will show as 0-100% in the dashboard.
As we all already know.

19.8 miles (31,8 km) below 0% would mean that we have about 12% extra (of the 35,5kwh) to drain from the battery.
But I guess we will never be able to unlock the rest 8% when charging…
nyx

Post by nyx »

I know people talk about batteries having top and bottom buffers. I've never understood quite what the distinction is, but https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-e ... st25276668 gives me the impression that perhaps each battery cell won't drain below a certain limit (bottom) nor charge to their full capacity (top)?

If so, perhaps one could think of the ~12% as a kind of "soft" bottom buffer (you can use it, but it's discouraged by being "sub zero"), and the remaining ~8% as being split between a "hard" bottom buffer (the car never letting you use it because it would damage the battery) and that top buffer?

I'm guessing wildly and most probably wrong. But I'm hoping that being wrong on the Internet might invite someone more knowledgeable to correct me :)
Nick68

Post by Nick68 »

nyx wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:54 pm In one test they drove 19.8 miles after hitting 0%, so there’s a healthy margin. Knowing that has made me a bit more daring.

https://hond.ae/new-owner/#subzero-range
A daring experiment - I might try it when my good lady isn't with me. Helpfully, my insurer will recover me to the nearest EV charger as part of my policy, so a bit of a safety net if I get it wrong.
scotty c

Post by scotty c »

ive hit 0% about 2-3 times now an often get into single figures. i use 20-30% on my commute so push 2 days out of a charge if the charger is being used at work.

I will add i lease my car and only have a 2 year lease, I apologies to the next owner in advance now.
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

I think that Honda went a bit too far with safety margin. 28,5 usable of 35,5 is 7 kwh and it's about 20% (other brands have less then 10%). So imo we can be pretty sure battery will be fine for a long while.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post