Do the driving dynamics of the E make it all worthwhile?

All Honda E related discussions
Parker87

Post by Parker87 »

I've read and heard many positive comments about the E being a pleasurable "driver's car" in reviews and owners' forums so I'm inclined to think that it must be so. I had one (pretty short) test drive in one last year and I was impressed but didn't really have time to fall in love.
After much deliberation, I went electric early this year and bought a pre-loved Mazda MX30. This was because I thought that it offered better value than the E, having HUD, an opening sunroof and a heat pump as well as almost all the tricks of the E, and I had an MX5 to p/x and the Mazda dealer made me an offer which was hard to refuse.
Now, the MX30 is a very well put-together car - it's very well appointed, comfortable, and not at all bad to drive; the suspension's good and and it's limo quiet with little road noise and no rattles (so far). However, I just can't get excited about it and it doesn't stir my soul, which is a pity.
Therefore, I'm now (perhaps rashly) thinking of exchanging it for an E (pre-loved again). This won't be cheap to do of course so I suppose what I'm looking for here is reassurance from current owners that the E is indeed a very good drive. I'm not too bothered about the tech side of things - it's driving pleasure that I'm seeking and hope that you will tell me that the E has it in spades. :D

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Only you can decide, however from a driving point of view, realise that the MX30 is FWD, whereas the Honda is RWD, also the Honda is less of an SUV than the MX30 so you sit slightly lower, however performance wise the Honda is not particularly quick in relation to most EVs'.
I've not driven a MX30 but have been sat in the rear whilst my son took a test drive and I can see why someone would by it.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Before buying the e, I read and watched a lot of reviews on the MX30.
In the end, the suicide rear doors and access put me off. I also really wanted a small on the outside, roomy on the inside pure city car. The range between the 2 was similar and having test driven the e a couple of times, I never went and tested the MX30.

So whilst I would say the e is one of the best city cars available, drives really well and brings a smile to my face each time I drive it, it would not be my choice if I was regularly driving longer out of town distances and maybe the MX30 would be the better option here.

Maybe time for another test drive in the e to see if it stirs your soul more than the Mazda.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

If you want a 'drivers' car, then forgot about EV's.
The main reason is that they are just too heavy.

BTW - Only last month I bought an MR2 Mk3, and there are many reasons behind that decision and even though being mid engine & RWD was two of them, I don't see it as a driver's car mainly because it's too slow.

Maybe I should change my avatar even though I still have the Honda :lol: :lol: :lol:
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

try a frogeye Sprite?
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Surprised by some of the comments here from esp from londiniumperson, so here is what I think. I’m retired, just turned 73 yesterday, so my eyesight and reaction times are not what they used to be. It is time I “slowed down” a little.
But I think the “e” is great fun to drive and is quite quick enough (when the wife is NOT in the car). I love the ride, how quiet is, and precision and control of One Pedal Mode. For a car with 150bhp the quoted 0-62 rating seems to understate the acceleration possible.
I have never done track days, not an out and out boy racer, never rolled a motor. But at Uni in '69 I had a Morgan 4/4 and then a Lotus Elan, Peugeot 205i etc. More recent cars several Golfs, Audi A3 T, Honda S2000 and an Audi TT 2.0FSI mk2

Yes the Honda e is expensive, partly because of all the tech on board, and maybe because of the suspension set up, good tyres etc but it is far from boring to drive. It loves driving on quiet B roads with space to open up the throttle. Time to take another Test drive (alone).

DC3FEE74-51E6-4BD7-9CA2-1FC7F8CB0C6E.jpeg

Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I can't say that I find the e to be a drivers car. It is great to drive around town, the visibility, acceleration, turning circle etc make it ideal and fun to drive around town, its a little rocket. Its great for the commute (While it lasted - wife has stolen it now).

It performs fine on the longer drives too (lots of twistys here in Oxfordshire), but I don't find myself pushing it. Its a touch on the heavy side, and if you pumped your tyres up to get maximum mileage, you have compromised the grip and feel from the tyres. You sit quite high up so its not like a coupe or hot hatch. Also the front gets absolutely covered in flies!

I had to move the prelude off the drive yesterday to work on the civic, and ended up taking the prelude for a drive in to oxford, and it made me realise that I'll never jump in the e to go for a drive 'just because' in the same way. Engine noise, high revs, gear changes, downshifts all good fun, and sadly missing in the e. The prelude is an unfair comparison though as that could be described as a drivers car. If I had to compare it to the 10th gen civic 1.5t sport (CVT), i'd probably choose the e because the CVT in the civic is just terrible, despite being a reasonable chassis.

If you want to hoon it about and love driving like that, the e isnt the car for it (despite taking off like a rocket). I personally have slowed down since driving the e - which is a positive in my mind.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Parker87

Post by Parker87 »

Thanks all for your replies.
I agree that I must have another Test Drive and I should be doing that next week.
As for EV's being too heavy to be good "driver's cars", I should have mentioned that I'm not expecting hot hatch or Frogeye Sprite characteristics, delightful as they may be. However, as a former professional driver, I like to 'drive' rather than just get from A to B with as little effort as possible, so I'm looking for something with a bit more pep and excitement. Like others here though, I'm not into hooning anymore and I actively seek to stay within the law and the good ol' Highway Code.
The MX30 is a perfectly fine car but it's about 15% heavier than the E, and I've decided that I would rather be a saloon than a SUV person, whatever that means!
It's all a matter of degree - I need a sensible dog-crate and single passenger carrier and as I'm determined to Go Electric and I have a limited budget, I acknowledge that I'm not going to find something with the same finesse and seat-of-the-pants sensation as my MX5. The Mini is a good car but I'm afraid that I'm bored with the Mini design and think that the E is the best looking of the 3. It's all swings and roundabouts though - Bjorn Nyland found the E to be the noisiest of the 3, with the MX30 matching much more expensive cars in the serenity stakes!
My usage is mainly in town and on rural B roads and I've only made one journey of more than 50 miles this year, so low range doesn't bother me.
I've placed a reserve on a 21 plate Advanced which should be ready for a test drive next week so decision time looms!
Thanks very much again for your input - I'll keep you posted.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Just to add to my comments, my e replaced a BMW 118i and the e is just as much fun to drive as the 118i and probably quicker to accelerate.

To say forget about EV's as drivers cars is a bit extreme, Porsche Taycan and Audi e Tron GT come to mind.

Is the e a drivers car in the scheme of things, no, but its got a low centre of gravity and well sorted suspension and if you watch the Fifth gear Recharge episode when they group tested it, you will see that it won the track test, with surprising handling, won the overall test and was the car the testers wanted to take home.
Enjoy the test and post your findings
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Some of the comments here make me wonder what people expect from “a drivers car” Not sure why people knock EVs because they miss the sounds, engine revs, etc. Seems so retro now. Been there, done that. Performance*, handling, ergonomics, ease of driving, get in go - the e has these IMO but what does it for me (for nearly all the cars I have bought) do I love it, take pride in owning it, does it make me smile, it is fun.
*in reality many modern cars (and EVs) are over powered for most conditions. How often do we come across a clear road where you can “open up the throttle” not in the UK - well not in Southern England

Enjoy your test drive: glad it’s an Advance - and although you don’t think you need all of the tech loaded, you might find you learn to love it. Like I love One Pedal Mode - not EVs work the same when it comes to regen. Some are fixed, some “intelligent”, some just weak - I rarely use the brake pedal.

One final thought about “I need a sensible dog-crate ” the e does have a small boot, but rear seat is very easy to drop down, and then there is plenty of flat space. Once saw a dog in the back of an electric Fiat500 - about all the rear seats are good for.

Oh and I forgot. Many online reviews and comparisons are mixed. But the ones that count in my view are Jonny Smith CarPervert and Chris Harris. If these guys like the e and they do, then it’s good enough for me. I think many other reviews are “influenced” by those that help fund their channels.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons