Tyre Pressure Warning

All Honda E related discussions
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

Just taken my E in for its second service and told them that I had had a the rear offside tyre changed due to a severe puncture and three attempts to recalibrate the warning system had failed. I was told that both tyres on the same axle need to be replaced by ensure an even wear or the sensor will register this as a fault.So basically one bad puncture will cost two new tyres! I will stick to my Fobo sensors on each tyre and just ignore the ridiculous system installed.

igb

Post by igb »

Unfortunately, that's true of most OEM tyre pressure systems, as opposed to the actual sensors you presumably have. They work by looking at the ABS sensor data in normal, straightline driving; they assume that if the steering wheel is straight and the stability control yaw sensor shows the car isn't turning, then the wheels on each axle should be turning at the same rate. If they aren't then they aren't the same size, which means either one's deflated or (unfortunately) one is more worn -- or is a different brand, or whatever -- to the other.

There are cars fitted with OEM pressure sensors, but they're relatively unusual. The system using rotation speeds is more common and, as I think you've found, often useless.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

The system is certainly sensitive enough to notice bright sunlight on one side of the car in colder weather. I have the same issue occasionally on the civic which has the same system. I haven't yet ran mis-matched tyres (wear wise) on the e, and like to replace them in pairs, but appreciate that's a costly puncture if you cant have the tyre repaired...

It would have been nice for honda to use actual pressure sensors, but I guess it would only have made the car more expensive. Software costs next to nothing I guess...
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

EEEE wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:27 am The system is certainly sensitive enough to notice bright sunlight on one side of the car in colder weather. I have the same issue occasionally on the civic which has the same system. I haven't yet ran mis-matched tyres (wear wise) on the e, and like to replace them in pairs, but appreciate that's a costly puncture if you cant have the tyre repaired...

It would have been nice for honda to use actual pressure sensors, but I guess it would only have made the car more expensive. Software costs next to nothing I guess...
"It would have been nice for honda to use actual pressure sensors" I think there are some sensors in it. Cause, had a nail in the tyre and it deflated very very gently. But the system had been telling me for 14 days that there was something wrong with the tyre and I had checked the pressure and it was right. It was only at the garage that they saw that there was a nail in the tyre. I thought it was clever of the system that it could do that. 8-)
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

It turns out that the tyre I had replaced,although the correct make and type was the wrong size,it was the size for the front but fitted to the rear so I am taking that up with the tyre company but it still doesn’t explain that a sidewall puncture could cost us two tyres
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Xanadu wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:27 pm It turns out that the tyre I had replaced,although the correct make and type was the wrong size,it was the size for the front but fitted to the rear so I am taking that up with the tyre company but it still doesn’t explain that a sidewall puncture could cost us two tyres
This is not the first time this has happened/been reported. People do not expect staggered setup on a small town car. Happened to me when getting 4 tyres fitted, multiple people working on the car and not thinking.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post