Blocking air intake to prevent heat-loss

All Honda E related discussions
pauketju

Post by pauketju »

I assume this goes against the recommendations from the manufacturer. But in winter - would it help to prevent heat loss and excessive cooling to the system by blocking off the intake?

I want to 3D print a cover with adjustable intake slats for reducing heat loss at high-ish speed. Would it affect the efficiency at all?
The heater probably does not circulate through the front radiator. So maybe all the heat gets dissipated through the cabin... Maybe it can also work for aero cover when cooling is not a problem the rest of the year also.

Just a thought
Advance Platinum pearl white 17"

MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Tbh, I haven't noticed a great passive airflow with the intake open (cabin air recirculation turned off). I used to get much more air in all my ICE cars. At 90km/h it was comparable to the first fan speed. This is not the case with the E. Another thing that I've noticed is it takes ages (like 10 minutes or so) for the outside thermostat to update the temperature when I am exiting the underground parking which might also be related to low passive airflow. This makes me believe that covering the intake physically won't do much to prevent heat loss.
pauketju

Post by pauketju »

I was thinking more in line of battery and motor cooling. It probably tries to reach optimal temps and then goes in a cycle for holding a temp by both cooling and heating.
We get below -10 but i have not yet felt the need to take a longer trip to see the actual efficiency after it evens out.
Would be fun to try anyways. To insulate a but.
Advance Platinum pearl white 17"

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post