Short trip winter range.

All Honda E related discussions
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

It's first winter for our Honda e. First of all it's fun. We live in small town but as it's quite cold (about -10C during night and -5C during day) and a lot of snow (about 40 - 50 cm till now :D ), I'm driving my kid to school and after school activities almost every day. Charging once a week from about 30% to 80%. I'm trying not to use pre-heat and heating while driving except defrosting front window. Seat heating always on. Also it's quite slippery so esp flashing all the time while driving. Trying to switch it off once in a while but it's a bit scary at the moment to be honest (it's my first rear wheel drive car, quattro person here :D). And now about consumption - drum roll... with last 50% Honda made about 40 km.
I'm sure it would be much more if it would be made in one trip but heating battery every time to drive 3 - 5 km uses more battery then actual drive :D
We still really happy about Honda. Powering up 3.0L diesel for same trip would be either bad for engine if you are impatient or super time consuming if you heat it up as it should be done.
Anyone with same scenario to compare?

MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Yes, short drives result in bad efficiency due to battery pre-heats. Driving a longer distance in one go is better than the same distance with several stops in between.

It might be just me, but according to my observations the charge curve is not linear. So the time (power) it takes to drop from 100 to 90% is longer than from 30 to 20%. This makes me believe that one might get some more range from 100 to 50% than by discharging from 80 to 30%.

In the similar conditions I am mostly using heated seats with heated steering wheel. Typically, I have to turn on the defog a couple of times per trip since it gets pretty foggy inside. Excessive heat is the only thing I am missing from the ICE cars I had before :D
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

MaXPainT wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:40 pm It might be just me, but according to my observations the charge curve is not linear. So the time (power) it takes to drop from 100 to 90% is longer than from 30 to 20%. This makes me believe that one might get some more range from 100 to 50% than by discharging from 80 to 30%.
I know it's suggested not to charge till 100% all the time and as I was doing that all summer :) I decided that this is the time to give battery a chance to "recover" :D Not sure if it helps but I don't care about few more km at the moment. Charging at home so it doesn't matter if I plug it in on Tuesday or Wednesday :D
betonos

Post by betonos »

My observation is that using pre-heating with cabin heating (with temp set to +18c inside in my case) vs. not using pre-heating at all or not using cabin heating, does not make that much difference on short distances in winter, as the battery heater eats ton of current anyways. So in my case, I've put comfort above efficiency and I'm using pre-heating and interior temp set to +18.
Mailforkev

Post by Mailforkev »

A couple of mornings this week, I turned on the pre-heating with the key fob for about 15-20 mins before I left for the office and it used 5% of my battery each time.

The subsequent 16km drive into the city centre only used around 8-10%.

Basically, pre-heating in zero degrees chews up the battery.
betonos

Post by betonos »

Hes, but the thing is, without preheating you would’ve used more energy during the trip as the car would anyways use it to heat up battery and interior.
Isotope Toast

Post by Isotope Toast »

I can add my experience from this morning:

Car plugged in overnight, so at 100% this morning. Used pre-heating from the key-fob for about 15-20 minutes (with the car plugged in the whole time). When I got in the car, the battery was at 95%. I thought it'd be at 100%, because it would be using power from the wallbox, not the car battery. Or am I wrong?
miura88

Post by miura88 »

if the power of wallbox is not sufficient the car use the battery.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Afraid so - the car cannot be kept at 100% whilst pre-heating. It's just a poor design, even with a 7kw wall charger.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Isotope Toast

Post by Isotope Toast »

Well that really sucks. The wallbox is 11Kw so enough power there. :/

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post