Gas pedal reaction different in low temp?

All Honda E related discussions
betonos

Post by betonos »

I have observed, that in low temps (around 0C and below) the gas reaction is slower than it used to be in warmer temps.

No turtle on dashboard, car was pre-heated etc. However, this still can be a) subjective due to me treating the gas pedal more gently due to snow, ice etc, b) due to low battery temp (thou there is no turtle).

What's your observations on this?

Mailforkev

Post by Mailforkev »

It's been cold in Dublin this week but I haven't noticed any change in the acceleration.

Although I have been driving smoothly and carefully for the last few days so I don't bin it on an icy road.

Rear wheel drive and a nice amount of torque means it's not difficult to light up the rear tyres on a wet road so I'm being extra careful when there's snow and ice.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I swear at times that the acceleration seems less - but couldn't correlate this to ambient temperature. That said, for the first time ever, the hypervolt did show a slower charging rate than normal (looked about 5kw), but I can never trust that app, it's nearly as bad as the honda one.

That said, I have just received for the first time the tortoise symbol, car was left at work overnight, 31% charge left after a preheat, short 2 miles drive, 2 mile drive back and the light came on. Have put the car on charge and hope not to see it again. Charger at work shows 246.6V @ 28.9A = 7.1kw

The manual is hopeless, the tortoise symbol can mean one of 5 things:

1) power system too hot - slow down / allow to cool
2) HV batt is too cold - warm it up / charge it up
3) Appears after the 12v charging system indicator comes on - contact a dealer immediately (this is the 12v battery icon).
4) power system is in diagnostic mode - you may see the 'exclamation in car' icon.
5) Appears when HV is very low - charge immediately.

So given that I didn't see the icons in 3 and 4, and it's not hot outside (-6c this morning), I'll go with cold/flat HV battery. Bit surprising given it was over 30% and had just been driven.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Another cold weather observation - my charging session from 30% to 100% yesterday at work had an unusual power profile. It did 7kw for the first 2x 10 minute buckets, then went down to about 4kw before gradually rising over 40minutes to the full 7kw again. Perhaps that was 20 mins of pure heating to bring it up to 0c , then a slow charge due to the temperature until it reached somewhere over 0c.

Another new dash notification not seen before occured last night/this morning.

After turning the vehicle off, before the drivers display turns off, I received a large white icon of a cable/plug.

Page 148 of the manual shows the icon (in white) meaning:

• Appears after you set the power mode to VEHICLE
OFF without connecting the charging connector
while the ambient temperature is low.

• Connecting the charging connector improves cold
startability.

I'm not sure if startability refers to pulling away from a stop, or for the car to power up? Perhaps when the ambient is below 0 (its -5c today), the 12v charging will happen automatically?
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
MattHero

Post by MattHero »

EEEE wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:09 am
Another new dash notification not seen before occured last night/this morning.

After turning the vehicle off, before the drivers display turns off, I received a large white icon of a cable/plug.

Page 148 of the manual shows the icon (in white) meaning:

• Appears after you set the power mode to VEHICLE
OFF without connecting the charging connector
while the ambient temperature is low.

• Connecting the charging connector improves cold
startability.
Oh thanks, *that's* what that means. As usual, I ignored this totally when I saw it a few days ago and as it didn't reoccur, I didn't get the manual out.
Advance Charge Yellow on 16s.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I suspect if the car is on AC power, and the battery pack / ambient temperature is below 0, the battery will be heated to 0 degrees or there about's.

If the car is in use everyday, I suspect it keeps it heat for days. But given the several days of very cold weather in the UK and little usage of the car and being parked out in the open - it wouldn't suprise me if the complete battery pack is below 0 degrees at times.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

betonos wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:29 am I have observed, that in low temps (around 0C and below) the gas reaction is slower than it used to be in warmer temps.

What's your observations on this?
Definitely the throttle response is slower with a cold battery regardless of charge. In a local roundabout, a dab on the throttle normally cause rear to break traction but on cold battery I only get understeer for this reason 😉 15min on the motorway and everything is back to normal.

By the way, during a cold period we get turtle mode when starting a ride with around 25% charge. Driving 10km and restarting the car and turtle is gone.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post