Snow Driving?

All Honda E related discussions
Verone

Post by Verone »

Hey hey :D

My Honda Dealer has confirmed that I'll be getting my e in March!

It was initially sometime in Q1, hopefully in January, but given the demand is apparently really high for the cars in Iceland (as high as it can be in a country of 360k people) and the fact there's limited stock coming here, it's a bit slower than initially thought.

Winter is battering us here and we've had early snow this year, so I'm just wondering how people's experiences have been driving in snow with the e? Less focused on range (it's not going to be a problem as the car is being purchased for short commutes with charging at both ends, and as a grocery getter). More thinking about grip and drivability in snow and on ice for those who live in colder climates?

I've had an extended 4 day test drive of one, so I managed to get some windy driving (the wind is really bad here) and some wet driving done, but I'm still a bit in the dark when it comes to snow and ice, so I'm wondering how they handle there - it's probably more of a question for fellow Nordic residents.

Right now I'm running an old 2007 Subaru Legacy wagon, and my boyfriend is running a slightly lifted 2005 Impreza wagon, so we're no strangers to off road driving over here, and driving in really crappy conditions. I intend on keeping the legacy for hauling large items, and for longer out of town trips when needed, so it's possible that it might end up being my snow car too.

I've ordered a second set of wheels with my e, so that I can have both summer and winter (probably studded) tires on the car when needed, so just curious how the little beast will handle on a set of decent winter tires and wondering if anyone has experience with how they handle in sub zero temperatures, when things are all frozen?
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km

asjo

Post by asjo »

I'm in Denmark, so no real experience with driving on snow - but I have had some snow on the car and freezing.

The only problem I have had is when ice forms at the bottom of the windows, you have to be careful when opening/closing the doors, if the windows can't pop down properly.

We very rarely have below freezing temperatures here for more than a couple of days, so it hasn't been a big deal for me, but I could imagine door handles and windows being a little tricky in your conditions.
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

Drifting is all good. I mean if you know what you are doing it's a cool drift car. 300 Nm torque like all the time, no turbo lag what so ever, super small turning circle is almost as in modified drift beast and brakes actually work while your foot is on gas (for example my other car just cuts gas at the moment you touch break pedal). Still trying to find some snow/ice track close to home as range is terrible in winter (driving 50 km to track and 50 back will give me like few minutes of fun on track :D) but as much as I tried it in parking lots it's a lot of fun. But there's one huge but - it's heavy (and only rear wheel drive) so if you stuck somewhere it's big probability you are not getting out by yourself. Once I got in little spot where snow wasn't cleared and it took me few minutes to get out. As wheels spin quickly at slightest touch and with all this weight they digs in. And I'm on new winter tires. So if you are going to get nuts with it bring some friend with 4x4 car and hook :D
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Since both your cars are Subaru, I am assuming both are 4x4. The E is a rear driven car with an instant torque, so you have to be extra careful with the gas pedal if you don't want your rear knocking other cars from the road. I had no getting stuck in snow issues since I am fully aware that the car is heavy and pretty low. But I had a couple of icy mornings. It is extremely easy to swing the rear on ice even with traction control on. I have never felt in danger in my Honda, but for someone coming from a 4x4 ICE car I would recommend to be extra careful with the gas pedal until you get used to a rear driven EV.

Btw, it is oddly satisfying to slowly drive the E over a thin layer of fresh snow. Without the sound of an engine all you can hear is the snow crunching. Makes me feel like sailing on an icebreaker :D
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Everyone is saying you have instant torque, from my experience very rarely that happens... torque 'kicks in' at about 5 to 10kmh. It kind of has a 'soft start'.
Wet roads will make it spin faster but I don't think it's that problematic and I say that with VSA off.. with it on it wont even let grass be damaged if a wheel steps in it ;)
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + โœŒ๏ธ๐ŸŽ‚
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

Just realised I read snow driving as snow drifting. Having abundance of snow probably tricked my brain :D But yeah, it's a city car. Don't go anywhere where hard surface isn't visible. I have a little slope where my road meets main road. Sometimes when there's ice it takes about 10 second to get out and I just hope that nobody is "flying" in my direction.
And about instant torque - when switched to Sport it's instant enough to me.
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

FDAD wrote: โ†‘Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:26 pm Everyone is saying you have instant torque, from my experience very rarely that happens... torque 'kicks in' at about 5 to 10kmh. It kind of has a 'soft start'.
Wet roads will make it spin faster but I don't think it's that problematic and I say that with VSA off.. with it on it wont even let grass be damaged if a wheel steps in it ;)
I am not very experienced with EVs so what seems to me as instant torque might not be the case comparing to other EVs. However, even if it kicks at 5-10kmh, with normal driving off a traffic light one will reach that speed in a second. I am not saying that the E is a crazy fast car, but it has plenty of torque to make you go circles if not careful on an icy road. This might be especially true for someone who is used to a 4x4 ICE car. Better safe than sorry :D
betonos

Post by betonos »

Comparing my experience to driving 4x4 Subaru Forester and 4x4 Lancer Evo X (with well, plenty of torque ;)) + various FWD cars earlier.

Actually, the Honda is much better on snow that I've feared. If you operate the gas pedal carefuly, actually it can oupterform ICE cars I think, because of the smooth power delivery and ability to start rolling very carefuly and slowly. Actually I think it was better on packed snow and in packed snow + some loose snow on top (city parkings etc) than FWD I've driven. But said that, it's nowhere near as capable in snow as my 4x4 cars.

Another issue with Honda is, that altough it has really good suspension (in my opinion the rate of comfort to performance is close to perfect, with my Evo being super performant but not so comfortable and Subaru being comfortable but too soft to actually do some proper driving), the overall driving feeling is more like driving in a video game. You are too disconnected from the surface by various systems along the way to actually feel it properly. This tends to be a problem - in my other cars I usually feel much earlier that either I'm on the edge of loosing grip, or have just lost grip, and what's really happening. In Honda, loosing the grip very often manifests itself by ESP doing its job rather than me feeling I've lost it.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

betonos wrote: โ†‘Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:34 pm Another issue with Honda is, that altough it has really good suspension (in my opinion the rate of comfort to performance is close to perfect, with my Evo being super performant but not so comfortable and Subaru being comfortable but too soft to actually do some proper driving), the overall driving feeling is more like driving in a video game. You are too disconnected from the surface by various systems along the way to actually feel it properly. This tends to be a problem - in my other cars I usually feel much earlier that either I'm on the edge of loosing grip, or have just lost grip, and what's really happening. In Honda, loosing the grip very often manifests itself by ESP doing its job rather than me feeling I've lost it.
Really :o ? I don't think it's that soft, I guess each one has their own feeling of how the car behaves!

One thing that I love is to be able to push it and still be able to feel the tires loose grip before loosing control.

I have pilot sport 5s and they are a noticeable improvement over the 4rs If your driving fast, otherwise there are cheaper tires that do the job.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + โœŒ๏ธ๐ŸŽ‚
tiitsu

Post by tiitsu »

IMG_20221124_124053.jpg

I have been driving in snow conditions now here in Finland. I have 16" weels for winter and using Michelin X-Ice North studded tyres. 205/55 on every corner. There has been no issues... If weather goes crazy. Then using our Honda CRV, but once roads are cleared. No problems with Honda e. Below some bad picture about conditions...

-Timo-

IMG_20221211_133502.jpg

Honda e Advance 2020