Traffic sign recognition system display - Re-enabled on startup?

All Honda E related discussions
ZeroEmissionRequiem

Post by ZeroEmissionRequiem »

I'd like to disable the traffic sign recognition system, as I find it very unreliable and distracting. While the owner's manual makes no mention of disabling this system, I did find the following option in the safety config menus:
Once set to "None", the traffic sign recognition disappears from the instrument panel as expected.

Unfortunately, it reappears upon next startup, so clearly the setting does not persist.

Is it possible to permanently disable this feature?
2022 e Advance

Verone

Post by Verone »

I don't believe that it's possible to disable this completely, as other safety systems rely on it - namely the Intelligent Speed Limiter, plus I believe the Adaptive Cruise Control also uses it.
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Verone wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:46 pm I don't believe that it's possible to disable this completely, as other safety systems rely on it - namely the Intelligent Speed Limiter, plus I believe the Adaptive Cruise Control also uses it.
To correct the above, the ACC doesn’t use the sign recognition system, though the manual states that ISP does.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Verone wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:46 pm I don't believe that it's possible to disable this completely, as other safety systems rely on it - namely the Intelligent Speed Limiter, plus I believe the Adaptive Cruise Control also uses it.
Interesting, any idea how the cruise control uses it? I've definitely had times where I've come off a fast road onto a slower one and accidentally hit resume instead of set and needed to cancel as the car lurched forwards and seemed to want to go back to motorway speeds on a side road.

I really like the feature in general, as it's a bit of extra info about signs you may have missed a little way back, but as it almost always reads one local 20 sign as a 50, I can see why if your local signs are dirty or in a strange font it could get very annoying very quickly.
ZeroEmissionRequiem

My car constantly mistakes other signs for speed limit signs. For example, every time I enter a shopping centre nearby, I drive past this sign instructing people who park there (for up to 12h) and continue their journey by subway:

Apparently the circled "12h" resembles "120" so much that the car thinks it's fine to do 120kph in an underground car park:

I've had "70" in 30kph zone and "100" in a 40kph zone, too. It's completely unreliable and needlessly distracting; I'd rather just disable it altogether...I'll ask about this in the upcoming (first) service.
2022 e Advance
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Yup, definitely can see why 120kph in a car park would be annoying!
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

RAL7004 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:25 pm
ZeroEmissionRequiem wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:34 pm My car constantly mistakes other signs for speed limit signs. For example, every time I enter a shopping centre nearby, I drive past this sign instructing people who park there (for up to 12h) and continue their journey by subway:

Apparently the circled "12h" resembles "120" so much that the car thinks it's fine to do 120kph in an underground car park:

I've had "70" in 30kph zone and "100" in a 40kph zone, too. It's completely unreliable and needlessly distracting; I'd rather just disable it altogether...I'll ask about this in the upcoming (first) service.
Hahaha !

Regardless of the recognition technology, which city has this great car park offer?
ZeroEmissionRequiem

ZoeDave wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 8:51 pm Yup, definitely can see why 120kph in a car park would be annoying!
Yeah, the range really drops at that speed and the car park is vast.
RAL7004 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 9:35 pm Regardless of the recognition technology, which city has this great car park offer?
Espoo in Finland, but it requires you to have a valid public transit ticket (be it subscription or a single ticket), and then you get to park for 12 hours for a 2 € charge. It's very common in the capital region, in an effort to move commuters from cars into trains/subway.
2022 e Advance
Fed

Post by Fed »

londiniumperson wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:45 am
To correct the above, the ACC doesn’t use the sign recognition system, though the manual states that ISP does.
So is it correct to say that the speed you have set for your ACC will not change in a dynamic way based on the speed limitations signs the car picks-up ?

Example : I have my ACC set to 50 and I enter a road portion where the limit is 80. The AAC will not be able to automaticaly move my ACC limit up to 80. I will have to manually increase my ACC speed with the steering wheel buttons to increase the ACC speed.
Carpasio

Post by Carpasio »

Quite a few villages in my area have set up imitation speed limit signs such as “20 is plenty” in a 30 mph zone. The car recognises the 20mph even though it's not legal.