All-season tire reccomendations

All Honda E related discussions
vulgaris_magistralis

Post by vulgaris_magistralis »

Since the "Tyre wear" thread branched out quite a bit, I'd like to move the conversation here. I was focusing on summer tires but seeing that I need to ride in winter too (no snow, barely gets below freezing point) I switched my focus to all season tires.

I want good tires on my car and my research is leading me to Michelin Crossclimate 2. Anybody has any experience with those? Or any other reccomendations?

I'm not happy with the current Yokohama's that came with my 16'' wheels. Hard to explain but it feels like the tires are not grabbing the road (although I haven't slided) and I'm already a slow driver. Same feeling with braking too. It just doesn't give me confidence.

Verone

Post by Verone »

A LOT of people here in Iceland have the CrossClimate 2 on their cars, they're a very popular choice and have proven themselves to be a good all-rounder in Icelandic winters, which can be a real shitshow.

When you're out in the country, you need something more substantial, preferably studded, but it seems that most people get by on the CrossClimate 2 in the Capital Region here in Iceland. When my Pilot Sport 4s are worn a bit, and it gets toward winter in Iceland, I'll be swapping to CrossClimate 2s in October/November.

Nokian are also pretty popular here too, they offer some pretty solid winter and all season options.
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km
RAL7004

Post by RAL7004 »

We got
205/45R17*V KUMHO SOLUS 4S HA32 88V XL and
225/45ZR17*W KUMHO SOLUS 45 HA32 94W XL

Had – until the purchase – never heard of this company. Apparently, Mercedes, Hyundai and KIA use tires of this manufacturer in some models ...
So far, they have (in a Berlin winter and now in summer) cut a good figure...
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

After long research I bought Bridgestone Blizzak LM 005. Very OK all winter long. But most surprising thing was that I had long journey just before changing them to summer tires (about 250 km) and my average consumption was lower then on summer tires that was on when we bought it new. Not sure how that’s possible 🤷
vulgaris_magistralis

Post by vulgaris_magistralis »

Verone wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:12 pm A LOT of people here in Iceland have the CrossClimate 2 on their cars, they're a very popular choice and have proven themselves to be a good all-rounder in Icelandic winters, which can be a real shitshow.

When you're out in the country, you need something more substantial, preferably studded, but it seems that most people get by on the CrossClimate 2 in the Capital Region here in Iceland. When my Pilot Sport 4s are worn a bit, and it gets toward winter in Iceland, I'll be swapping to CrossClimate 2s in October/November.

Nokian are also pretty popular here too, they offer some pretty solid winter and all season options.
I live in the Netherlands and we almost have no snow but a lot of rain and cold (above freezing point) year round. Here is my dilemma with the CrossClimate2, apart from the high rolling resistance from the reviews I've seen;
- The snow performance is great (which is irrelevant to me)
- The dry performance is good
- However, the wet performance is just average. (which is the most relevant to me).

I'm debating if should I look for another good all season tire OR consider Michelin Primacy 4 since it has a better wet performance. I'm quite ignorant in the topic of tires so take my comments with a grain of salt.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I've only heard good things about the cross climate 2. Even if the rolling resistance is rated as being poor, a friend with them on his CRV says he recons they were better than the last lot of tyres efficiency wise. He cant rate them highly enough and suspects they will last a very long time based on the current age/mileage/tread remaining.

If you are not expecting snow/ice and its mostly just rain, uniroyal rainsport tyres are excellent at displacing the water. They are a little on the soft side so the e might chew through them a little quicker than something harder like the michelins.

I've had the rainsport 4 (fitted the prelude mind) with no complaints, and I believe they have now released a rainsport 5 version.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
hondaeboy

Post by hondaeboy »

apologies, double post
Last edited by hondaeboy on Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2021 Honda e Advance on 16" RC30 wheels with Goodyear 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
Wrapped in Red metallic with full black and cinnamon leather interior.
hondaeboy

Post by hondaeboy »

vulgaris_magistralis wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:24 pm I want good tires on my car and my research is leading me to Michelin Crossclimate 2. Anybody has any experience with those? Or any other reccomendations?
Yes, actually considered those as well. I hated the original tires, especially since the car came with two different types of tyres for the front and back (and weird brands at that). Because the dimensions were a little off, there were also not that many alternatives, if any.

I ultimately went with the ones that fit under there, that were of the same brand, that were relatively good in any most weather conditions, while also have all the mountain and show icons, the lowest rolling resistance, and be relatively quiet. But it's a difficult search. It's also that some tyres are not readily available, so that also limits your options sometimes.

- Goodyear 4 Seasons GEN-3 195/55 E16 91H XL (front)
EPREL: 578811/578812/578833
EAN: 4038526043351

- Goodyear 4 Seasons GEN-3 205/55 E16 94V XL (back)
EPREL: 577739/578689/578810/588335/588336/588337
EAN: 4038526043337

So far I love them, and the energy efficiency actually exceeded my expectations.
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

Do you mean two different sizes of wheels? Mine came with Yokohama Bluearth-a AE50 all round.
hondaeboy

Post by hondaeboy »

5thcivic wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:47 pm Do you mean two different sizes of wheels? Mine came with Yokohama Bluearth-a AE50 all round.
Yes, the front and rear wheels on the Honda e are different.

If you follow the *exact* wheel and tire specification given by Honda e, it's next to impossible to get the same brand of tires on both the front and the rear. Then, if you add the criterion that you want an all-season tire, that makes the choice of brand even more limited, if not impossible.

Wheel 16": 6.0×16 5×114 ET50 (front) - 7.0×16 5×114 ET45 (rear)
Tire 16": 185/60 (front) - 205/55 (rear)

Wheel 17": 6.5×17 5×114 ET55 (front) - 7.5×17 5×114 ET50 (rear)
Tire 17": 205/45 (front) - 225/45 (rear)

So, if you want to get 4 tires of the same brand, you have to change the size of at least 2 of the tires, as long as the circumference is still approximately the same.