Unintentional high-beams?

All Honda E related discussions
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Hello everyone,

Has anyone else had a problem with finding that their high-beams are on when they didn't want it?

I only ask because I've now had it a few times and do not remember it happening before on any of the previous cars that I've owned. Today I was in an underground car park and someone stopped and got out to tell me. At least he was semi-polite about it but it still blinds the other driver and makes you look like a complete tool, no matter how innocent you are.

On at least one occasion I've felt the light/indicator stalk click back into place, but on the other times wonder if there is a function of the auto lights that it wrong.

Any ideas?

Verone

Post by Verone »

Under certain circumstances the high beams will come on automatically if you have the headlights set to "auto".

If there's low street lighting (or you're un an underground parking lot with shitty lighting) and the car detects this and doesn't detect oncoming vehicle headlights, it'll put your high beams on.

I very rarely use the "auto" headlights because I prefer having control over them, personally.
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I totally agree, it is not intuitive at all.
It's made worse by the fact that if you have them set as Auto, then switch them to dipped, this then then turns off the Auto function. So if you expect them to change automatically afterwards, you then need to set them back to Auto mode and the stalk settings are not easily visible.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Thank you for the replies - It's reassuring that it's not completely me being an idiot. I'll try to remember to switch to manual in places where this is likely to happen.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I once lent my car to someone and had this happen. They left the stalk pushed towards the windscreen. A few days later I was driving somewhere dark and the auto lights kicked in and it went full beam.

I've turned of auto fill beam entirely because it's a stupid feature also.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi