CarPlay & iOS 17

All Honda E related discussions
markostanley

Post by markostanley »

Anyone else having Carplay connectivity issues since upgrading to iOS 17?

I was having problems with Carplay being slow/unresponsive so decided to disconnect and "forget" the connection between phone and car. And now reconnecting is very spotty, google maps wont load a location, spotify will play but with no audio coming out of the speakers etc. Generally unresponsive and just not working. Was working fine on the latest version of iOS 16 - all the trouble started when I upgraded.

Anyone else having this issue and can suggest a fix, other than hoping Apple release some point releases to address bugs soon? Thanks

markostanley

Post by markostanley »

Fixed it.

For the benefit of anyone reading this in future, here's what I did.

Having tried forgetting the car on my phone, and the phone on the car I tried the last resort which worked - resetting the car to defaults.

WARNING - Doing this clears all your preferences across all the cars settings, and sets absolutely everything back to factory defaults but it did the trick. Having done this, I just set the phone up again with the car and set all my preferences across all settings back to where I wanted them. I

How to do this:
All Apps - General Settings - System - Factory Data Reset
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Thank you for this - I've had problems with CarPlay and it's the most annoying thing I've had with the car. It connects most of the time, but the 10% when it either doesn't connect or the connection fails is inevitably when you really need to make a call or listen to the music on your phone.

I still suspect that RF interference is partially to blame (I use wireless), as sometimes it fails as a motorbike or truck with a large diesel engine passes by, and I've had bad radio reception in similar circumstances with many cars.

The most infuriating part of problems like this is that there are potentially two parties to blame - the car and the phone - so I fear even mentioning it in my upcoming service, as Honda are likely to blame the phone and Apple probably wouldn't care.

The one question I do have is whether or not the reset on your car also made you have to reset the app?

Thanks again, and please don't let these posts be your only ones. There are some really nice and knowledgeable people on here, who even tolerate my sense of humour!
Sousaphone

Post by Sousaphone »

I've had similar problems on/off over the past three years and about four iOS versions. I've found that waiting a few weeks works as well as resetting the car for me. YMMV.

When it comes to interactions between digital devices involving more than one vendor, they will all blame (one of) the other(s) until a third party does all of the debugging for them. Having tried CarPlay in many different cars I'm going to lay at least 80% of the blame on Honda for this one, not least since it's present both on wireless and wired connections (which probably rules out RF interference as the only issue).
hondaero

Post by hondaero »

Updated to 17.0.2 -> works flawlessly.

HTH
~amo~
2023 Honda e Red Advance on 16" Michelin 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

hondaero wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:31 am Updated to 17.0.2 -> works flawlessly.

HTH
~amo~
Isn’t it too soon to be sure?
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I don't use iOS , but I too seem to notice mostly the wireless will conk out when I'm in a queue of traffic, so perhaps there is some correlation.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
hondaero

Post by hondaero »

londiniumperson wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:02 pm
hondaero wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:31 am Updated to 17.0.2 -> works flawlessly.

HTH
~amo~
Isn’t it too soon to be sure?
it might happen however used it for the last 2-3 days and all the functions i'm using are working properly ... no impact on performance or functionalities i use.
i'll report if something strange will occur.

~amo~
2023 Honda e Red Advance on 16" Michelin 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Since update to iOS 17.0.2 it works flawlessly (like before iOS 17). With both of our iPhones (ES 2023 and 14 Pro).
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only
ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

For what it's worth I had my car serviced a couple of days ago - £250 for an excruciatingly well-documented cabin filter change!

I did mention the problem to them and afterwards they told me that there were no software updates but had done a software reset of some sorts. All my settings still seemed to be there, and as I returned at 4pm after somehow running out of London to occupy my time, and they had only just started to look at the car, I can't imagine a huge amount was done. I've only done a few short trips since, but it has worked fine so maybe they did something?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post