Range Calculations, Batt & Outside Temp, Heater Use and my Understanding

All Honda E related discussions
Isotope Toast

Post by Isotope Toast »

I don't fully understand how the e is calculating range. I know it's done in combination with SOC of the battery, outside temp, battery temp, if I'm using the heather or not and how economic I am driving. However, with all this taken into consideration, I still have a question. Here is the scenario:

I drove to work yesterday morning. Car was left plugged in (charged to 100%) and preheating for ca. 30 minutes was used. (Car sits outside, no garage or carport).

Got in the car, battery was at 97%, outside temp, 5 °C.
For the first 3/4 of the trip, I drive no faster than 53 kmh, the last 1/4 is about 100 kmh.
Anytime I turned the heat on during this trip, I was shown that, without the heater, I would get a plus of 38 km.

At work, car sat outside, not plugged in, for ca. 8 hours. Outside temp, 5-6 °C.
On the drive home, it's the exact opposite as above. First quarter ca. 100 kmh, last 3/4 about 50 kmh.
In using the heat on the way home, I only ever saw a plus of 9 km, if I turned the heat off.

Why is there such a huge difference when most variables are the same?

Doesn't leaving the car plugged in while pre-heating also warm the battery to some degree? Wouldn't the battery be warmer in this instance as compared with sitting outside and not being plugged in and no pre-warming used?
I would think that the projected range without heater, for my scenario here, should be reversed, right?

Or, does anyone know what I'm not understanding here?

Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Pre heating or AC does not warm the battery. They are 2 different systems as far as I know. I don't think that the liquid that goes around the battery is ever cooled or warmed up. I assume it is used to dissipate the heat of the battery. The battery gets warmed up when charged or discharged. In fact the fan that I hear sometimes when charging is extracting the air, not the opposite. You can feel it with your hand under the front bumper.
Range is calculated according to your efficiency. Speed is not everything. If you go 50km/hr uphill is different than going 50km/hr downhill. You have to see the elevation. The car would not know the elevation of your planned trip so won't pre calculate. It uses the last few km of your journey. So it is not reliable.
How it estimates the gain when switching off the heater must be also according to your efficiency, but gets more complicated to explain.
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

What also counts is whether you have wind ahead or against. Tyre pressure is also important and how fast you press the power pedal. Also noticed that you shouldn't drive with one pedal on the highways. Didn't think that mattered, always rode with one pedal from the start. Now when I do a motorway ride, I just turn it off and use active cruise control. The car is then immediately a lot more economical, than in the past. The fact is, but that applies to all electric cars, that as soon as the temperature drops below 20 degrees, they consume more. Anyway, the e is not most efficient electric car.
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post