12V battery issues

All Honda E related discussions
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I don't get any issues either, but I tend to use the car for at least 2x 30minutes each weekday, and usually a bit at the weekends too. I keep the key fob out of range also.

I've left the car at my mums for the next couple of weeks, made sure the jump pack was charged but I have no reason to believe it will go flat.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

No problems with the battery for almost a year here either. Driving daily on weekdays, occassionally on weekends. Fob is far away, no connection, just preheating. I would like to know what people are doing with their cars to cause the issue. It would be nice to have some reccomendations what not to do to preserve the battery.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Just adding my experience over the year owned.
As a second car it was usually only used occasionally, sometimes once or twice a week, often several weeks without use. The majority of the journeys were 2-3 miles, the annual mileage was 1300 and I typically charged the car at home once or twice a month max.
I never directly charged the 12v battery and never had an issue.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Well I spoke too soon. In a change to the normal usage patterns, the car has been parked up at my mums for over 2 weeks. It was parked up with probably 20% left in the main battery.

Last week it was charged via 3pin plug up to about 70%.

Wife went to use it today, and said it was playing silly beggars, beeping, and basically refusing to work.

I can remotely connect with the app, but attempts to enable heating result in failure/disconnection. After a minute or two i can reconnect with the app. Suggests the 12v is dropping voltage too low when trying to power high power 12v circuits.

Will go over tonight and use the lithium jump pack on it (Didn't feel comfortable asking the wife to open the bonnet etc).

This might have just sealed the fate of the 'e', to be let down away from home is not a product quality Honda is known for or one I'd put up with. Perhaps a hard wired 12v cut out circuit is required or a reserve battery (not that there is much room for one under the bonnet!).
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

My sister managed to jump it into life with the cheapy jump pack, but only temporarily. She couldn't stay with the car left switched on (in order to let it charge the 12v itself). She encountered a fair few problems on my behalf.

240v charging didn't seem to start by itself until after jumping the 12v side AND turning the car on and off and on again (the manual does state this - but annoying).

You can't open the charge port if the battery is flat without first opening the bonnet and locating the override. You cannot easily open the doors if the windows don't drop. You then can't shut the doors without damaging the a-pillar trim if there is no power. Doesn't help that its icy either.

When I got there this evening, the battery was at 10.5volts. An hour on the CTEK didn't error and seemed to put enough life into it for the car to behave normally.

I'll try and get the car booked in to check that it has had every update possible. If it goes flat again the car will have to go as today was the one day i really needed it. I can put up with the stupid problems with the car like frozen door handles and all the rest of it, but for it to not to work is just terrible. I only bought a new car to replace the aging prelude, how ironic...
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

EEEE wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:14 pm My sister managed to jump it into life with the cheapy jump pack, but only temporarily. She couldn't stay with the car left switched on (in order to let it charge the 12v itself). She encountered a fair few problems on my behalf.

240v charging didn't seem to start by itself until after jumping the 12v side AND turning the car on and off and on again (the manual does state this - but annoying).

You can't open the charge port if the battery is flat without first opening the bonnet and locating the override. You cannot easily open the doors if the windows don't drop. You then can't shut the doors without damaging the a-pillar trim if there is no power. Doesn't help that its icy either.

When I got there this evening, the battery was at 10.5volts. An hour on the CTEK didn't error and seemed to put enough life into it for the car to behave normally.

I'll try and get the car booked in to check that it has had every update possible. If it goes flat again the car will have to go as today was the one day i really needed it. I can put up with the stupid problems with the car like frozen door handles and all the rest of it, but for it to not to work is just terrible. I only bought a new car to replace the aging prelude, how ironic...
I as well as other's have had the same issue as you.
In my case I'm confident that it was related to a faulty driver's door handle because since it was replaced I haven't had any further 12v battery issues.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Charged up the HV battery overnight to 100%.

Unlocked the car and the bonnet, checked the 12v voltage, 12.2v! That was after the 1 hour 12v charging and 1hr drive back home yesterday evening.

Working from home today so stuck the ctek 12v charger on and have left it be, hopefully with a full days charge the 12v battery will recover. I'll have to find somewhere to wire up an external charge port that isn't under the charge cover.

As for the door handle, it's been operating absolutely fine (open/retracting/sensing/window dropping etc). It had one funny moment moths ago when jet washed, but with it operating completely normally since then, I can't see that being the cause in this instance (unless its since gone faulty). I have never noticed the window dropped or any other indication to suggest the car is awake more than normal.

Given that the drain only seems to occur after a few days of dis-use, testing it in situ is going to be a long process!
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I also spoke too soon, after having collected the car and driven it today in the day time, I did notice the drivers door handle does not fully retract flush. it will if I lock/unlock from the cabin switch a few times. It also feels slightly different. Are the mechanisms really that weak that a slight frost will kill them off? Don't fancy taking the door apart to fiddle with it - but I doubt ill get the old handle given to me if its replaced under warranty.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Accord

Post by Accord »

I haven’t had any more issues since replacing to a better (winter) battery in our IONIQ, and I’ve set a timeout for the dash cam parking mode. It seems to charge regularly enough to keep it topped up.
But I’ve fitted a DEFA smart charge plug just in case and will probably do the same to the Honda when it gets here.

I was tempted to put it in the charge port area on the Honda, but as you can’t open that without 12v working, I guess I’ll try to make it available underneath the bumper or something, so the doors won’t have to be ripped open to open the hood. That way I can just open a cap and plug in 12V when needed.

But it shouldn’t go flat. It can go low, but it should emergency charge if too low and the car is locked.

For the IONIQ it does not charge the 12V if the car is unlocked it seems.
Bikkc

Post by Bikkc »

I have had the 12 v battery die on on 3 separate occasions - first in in middle of winter when i was in the car waiting for my son to complete is 45 minute Twaekondo class was listening to radio after dropping him - and then all warning and error messages pinged up and then car would not start. Called the AA who charged the 12v battery for 10 minutes and hten the car started I took to honda and they did battery check and said no fault found. About 6 months later in mid April - warm day - smae thing happened whilst in twaekondo class after sittign int he car for only 10 minutes- back to honda who again confirmed no fault found.
Yesterday it happened again - the main EV battery had 51% SOC, i parked the car in car park after haven driven about 40 miles that day - wnet to see a film and have a meal wiht the family - 4 hours later return - the car to find it would not start - wil lbe taking it back to honda again and demandin a new battery or they identify the reason for the drain whilst the car is parked for 4 hours in 25C heat!
I have l aso bought a portable battery jump starter to prevent the major inconvenience whenever this happens in a 2.5 year old EV with 28k miles.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post