Does anyone have the Drive Recorder

All Honda E related discussions
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Thank you very much Scott for your report. By any chance are you able to see where the wiring is connected to? From where and how it takes its power? It looks like it is a normal dashcam but connected very neatly.

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

All I can see is that the wiring goes straight up into the headliner. Its been added aftermarket, but I'm not prepared to start pulling off any trim to see where it goes. I suspect for ease it will be wired to the over head mirror assembly. It would make little sense for it to draw its power from say a fusebox in the footwell, as far more interior trim panels would need to be pulled to perform the installation.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

If someone decides to purchase one to fit themselves, then hopefully it'll come with detailed installation instructions just like the armrest did.
Then if that person is willing to post them on here we'll find out where it's connected to for power source.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Keawon

Post by Keawon »

londiniumperson wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:06 pm If someone decides to purchase one to fit themselves, then hopefully it'll come with detailed installation instructions just like the armrest did.
Then if that person is willing to post them on here we'll find out where it's connected to for power source.
I use Blackvue dashcam front and rear with batterypack for parking recording.

But here comes installation and usermanual for Hondas Drive Recorder.
08E30-HF4-G000-80EN00.pdf
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 793 times
08E30-TYF-G000-90EN00.pdf
(4.44 MiB) Downloaded 624 times
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Thank you Keawon! Now that installation is much more than armrest - no way I trust my husband to do that level of work on my beloved e. I guess third party fitter can do them though. However, for genuine Honda drive recorder, isn't it better to ask Honda dealer to fit it in, so that they can service/fix later if necessary?

Or am I too naïve..??
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Thanks for the pdf files Keawon.
Currently I'm using a 'BlackVue Conecta OBD Power Cable' which connects to the OBD port, but now that I know that the official dashcam connects to position 7 of the fuse box I'll look at using that instead.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Thank you Keawon. Great to see how it is connected :) Maybe I try myself too like londiniumperson
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Thank you for the manuals - it tells us there is no application but simply a Wi-Fi hotspot broadcasted to connect to to view the footage.

Since a fair few trim panels have to be removed to get the wiring harness to where its needed, its probably best left to someone who has done it a few times. I always hate removing trim panels. Admittedly my Hondas have always been quite old, and the plastics brittle with age But I wouldn't fancy doing it if I didn't have to. I guess it was too simple to believe it could tie into the rear-view mirror assembly. Since this is a generic accessory, I'm guessing that all the necessary signal lines are actually available in the overhead cluster.

I would review the options for dashcams, despite being Honda approved accessory, it really is a bit lacklustre. Any number of aftermarket kits could be installed for a similar cost - then you have more choice. It's a bit disappointing that there isn't this functionality already built in. Imagine if additional information about indicators/speed/driver controls were captured from the car and stored on the video - that would be really neat. A trick missed for sure, perhaps Tesla have a patent on it...
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
grayw

Post by grayw »

Does it have an interface into the infotainment system?
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

grayw wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:36 am Does it have an interface into the infotainment system?
Nope - even though its offered by honda, it is in no way integrated to the car other than the supplied loom for power which makes installation easier. It is literally an add on unit that is stuck to the windscreen , and the same model is offered for several hondas (Where the rear camera works, unlike the e).

I didnt even realise my car had it fitted until i worked out where the annoying beeping was coming from. I havent even tried to use the wifi hotspot interface, it will most likely be a dissapointment.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post