Will we get home after arriving at destination with 51%

The place to discuss everything else..
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

We’ve driven to London, leaving after preheating with 100% battery and arrived at the car park with 51%.
I drove at no more than 64mph and turned off the HVAC for most of the journey.

The question is, how much charge will we have when we get home later tonight if we don’t charge?
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

turntoport

Post by turntoport »

reckon you can answer this better than anyone else on here, Londiumperson! Rapid cooling this evening (temps down to ~10 deg C by 9 pm, 4 deg C by midnight) will offset the light tailwind (guessing 'home' is Newbury area?), so if you can force yourself into the slow lane, say down to 60 mph max, you'll get home with 4 to 5 %. Squeaky-bum time, but with the heater off and no diversions/accidents you should just be ok...
atb - ttp
londiniumperson

Well, I needed a recharge a few miles from home.
On the return trip it was dark and 11C.
I drove at speed limits on the roads up to 50mph and only 64mph on the dual/motorways for the first 17 miles as it looked like we would make it, but then had to drop to 55 for the remainder of the journey with only using the HVAC for about 5 miles near the beginning.
We had 9 miles to go but only 4 miles left on the GOM, so stopped for a 10% top up (which meant I could have the heating on and hammer it for the last few miles) at a Shell service station which only has one charger and when I arrived there was a ICE car parked in the spot :roll: even though there were loads of parking spaces free.

I suspect that if I had driven up on both out & return legs at a max of 55mph we might have just made it home on one charge.

Outbound efficiency: 3.8m/kWh (53.5 miles)
Return efficiency (before rapid charge): 3.9m/kWh (44.3 miles)
After Rapid charge efficiency: 3.0m/kWh (9.0 miles)
londiniumperson

turntoport wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:36 pm reckon you can answer this better than anyone else on here, Londiumperson! Rapid cooling this evening (temps down to ~10 deg C by 9 pm, 4 deg C by midnight) will offset the light tailwind (guessing 'home' is Newbury area?), so if you can force yourself into the slow lane, say down to 60 mph max, you'll get home with 4 to 5 %. Squeaky-bum time, but with the heater off and no diversions/accidents you should just be ok...
atb - ttp
If I was on my own I might have taken a chance on not stopping but as I had my wife & daughter, then I wouldn't have been popular if I'd run out of power with others with me.
As for home, that is SW of London, so over the Surrey Hills (i.e. past Guildford & through Hindhead tunnel).
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Interesting report, pity the family got in the way of confirming how far the range is on zero battery for the benefit of forum members(but completely understandable as I would also not like to face the family wrath should I run out)

http://techzle.com/this-is-how-far-an-e ... y-is-empty
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

Did you leave a 'message' on the ice vehicle windscreen?
Icing chargers should be a mandatory £1k fine (first offence, doubling for each subsequent...)
glad it worked out!
atb - ttp
londiniumperson

turntoport wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:06 pm Did you leave a 'message' on the ice vehicle windscreen?
Icing chargers should be a mandatory £1k fine (first offence, doubling for each subsequent...)
glad it worked out!
atb - ttp
They were sat in their car, so I banged on the window and asked them to move.
They gave the reply that they didn’t realise 🤦
I don’t know what’s worse people that do this on purpose or those imbeciles that are away with the fairies. I think the seconds group are more of a danger to others than first, however this group seems be increasing exponentially from my experience of UK driving standards.

We all make mistakes but too many aren’t even aware they are making them.

The car park in Hammersmith used a website to open & close the gate and we had to wait an age getting in whilst the person in front to get out of their car, pondered how to open the gate, then once it was opened then waited about 30 seconds before moving off. Ironically her car had a reg that started with K4REN 😔 I was tempted to take a screenshot from my dashcam to prove this.
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

Ha! definitely a lol, Londiniumperson!
Yes, Uk drivers do 'test credibility' rather more of recent times...is stupidity contagious, d'you think??

Yesterday, leaving the busy bit of Bournemouth towards Poole, a blue-light dee-daa (ambulance) was rapidly closing from the rear. It was really, really obvious, my wife and i both clocked it about 30 seconds before if appeared in the mirror. I booted it (a bit, safe & legal, obs) until a section where the road widened and enough to allow us to move inboard and give the ambulance room to pass: I indicated left and moved over - still travelling at about the 'limit'. With no turn-off within sight (4-500 metres), instead of following our move, the person (lady) driving the very large suv immediately behind us chose to pull-out, half across the oncoming traffic, to 'overtake' us - right into the path of the overtaking ambulance, who had seen my movement and assumed the suv driver would follow (it was GLARINGLY obvious what to do); the blu-lighter had to bang-on hard the anchors so as to avoid a collision with the suv, which damn nearly caused an accident in it's own right. (Just for avoidance of doubt, the SUV would have been significantly exceeding the speed limit in a quite congested area). I hope the ambulance driver filed a 'f***wit driver' report re the suv; he did turn-on the really loud siren and honked as he maneuvered past, so was obviously pi$$ed-off. 'Lack of awareness' - lol.

atb - ttp
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

I very rarely drive at night, but when I do it is noticeable how much the efficiency drops due to headlight use. Not sure what they draw in terms of current/kWs but it seems to make a big difference - say 10 - 15% loss
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
londiniumperson

advance2020 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:16 pm I very rarely drive at night, but when I do it is noticeable how much the efficiency drops due to headlight use. Not sure what they draw in terms of current/kWs but it seems to make a big difference - say 10 - 15% loss
I very much doubt that the lights use that much.
It’s more likely that the ambient temperature is lower at night than during the day which is impacting your battery usage.
Consider that a car with standard incandescent bulb’s probably only consume a total of 150 watts if all lights are taken into account, with each headlight rated at 55W on main beam. Then as the Honda only has an approximate 100 mile range, then even at slow town driving speeds this would be depleted within 4 hours at most.
Therefore 150W x 4 hrs = 600Wh at worst case and more likely only 20% (i.e. 120Wh) of that amount due to LED’s being 80-90% efficient compared to incandescent bulbs.
10-15% of battery capacity would be 2.85 to 4.28kWh, which would mean that the lights draw about 1kW. If the lights drew that much power then they would be dangerously hot to the touch.