IONIQ 5

The place to discuss everything else..
kbjpick

Post by kbjpick »

reflecting on posts by londiniumperson and FMIB above does coincide with many of my thoughts, but we only have maybe 4-5 longish trips per year these days and the Honda e covers the local requirements and the I5 will be an adventure on the longer trips. I have a trip to Devon next month from the SE and will be my first foray into charging from the wider world - I nervously anticipate several sessions with ABRP and Zap Map prior to departure!

FDAD

Post by FDAD »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:08 pm I’ve just checked the route using ABRP and using the Honda it would take us 6hr 57 mins compared to 4hrs 38 mins using the ICE car. Significantly longer.
This all assumes that all of the chargers are operational because if any of them isn’t it’ll probably mean a very long extended stop at a 7kW with so few rapids available. None of us in the car will be impressed with what would normally be less than 5 hrs ending up as an over 10 hr trip, or even longer if more than 1 of them is in use or faulty.
In the past I’ve had to do this many times as a return trip in a single day, which is not a realistic option with the Honda or any low range EV.

There are other reasons, namely the lack of passenger and boot space, no car charging at the accommodation with the nearest rapid 8 miles / 17 mins from the accommodation and very few anywhere we planned to go.

Replacing the use of ICE by EVs in the world will have negligible effect on the worldwide global pollution.

Driving 800+ km in a single day in any vehicle let alone an EV is not very environmentally friendly.

Believe me I would have driven less if I could.. :lol: even when a rapid charger was not available when thought I had another one nearby. Tomorrow I'll drive close to 400kms... Each country has its level of rapid charges availablity and that impacts how can a EV became or not a main vehicle. Having a whole car and a few long trips seems to me are very different in terms of environmental friendliness... But having that said if the power comes from renewables makes it even better given that driving less is not an option.

This is the amount of power I used/paid for last December... PCN is AC and PCR is 50kw charging.

IMG_20220307_125305.jpg

It is what it is... And as you can see that AVG time spent in rapid chargers is 26m... I have friends that say they are not willing to spend more than 5/10m to fuel... I don't think 20m bothers me one bit... Believe me.. I save a few tonnes of CO2 even if all the electricity came from diesel generators.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
Minky92

Post by Minky92 »

The IONIQ 5 is definitely the front runner for my next car, not just for its looks but practicality-wise in its battery/charging speed. I don't think I'll keep the E at the end of my contract... the car is wonderful and I love it to bits but the range has been a real problem, especially in winter. The 2023 version of the 5 will apparently have optionable digital side mirrors as well, which is perfect because they've been fantastic on the E.
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Had Honda since September 20 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 Project 45 since September 21.
Rather than his car and her car, we have the short range and long range EV. And chose the car for the job.
Both fab

AD46DFF9-A78A-4E13-8EDC-B325850EBA17.jpeg

Highanddry

Post by Highanddry »

Joolsdc wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:00 pm ... we have the short range and long range EV. And chose the car for the job.
Both fab
To me that is totally the way to go.
Just will need something with more load space to replace the diesel ( :mrgreen: ) BMW X5 ion terms of load capacity.
Any thoughts?
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Highanddry wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:54 pm
Joolsdc wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:00 pm ... we have the short range and long range EV. And chose the car for the job.
Both fab
To me that is totally the way to go.
Just will need something with more load space to replace the diesel ( :mrgreen: ) BMW X5 ion terms of load capacity.
Any thoughts?
Makes sense for many people, but until the charging network improves, I decided to stick with an ICE for my long range car.
As we know from the Honda e, winter and adverse conditions significantly reduce the range, so a car like the Ioniq 5 could have a range of sub 200, many owners of the BMW iX3 are reporting getting ca 180-200 miles, which means a driving radius of around 100 miles if I want to make it back without having to worry about finding a charger(which most probably would be out of my way)
You also hit the nail on the head, range aside, most EV's are really compromised on boot space and shape.
The new BMW iX, a huge vehicle, has maybe the closest to the X5 boot, although I think its smaller and the purchase price is scary.
Even the big SUV PHEV's have smaller boots than their ICE cousins.
Having the e as my city car meant that a PHEV as a second car made no sense for me as I would get limited benefit from the EV range and mostly be lugging around batteries on my longer trips.
I need the space, so decided on a mild hybrid diesel Volvo XC90 (my first diesel for nearly 35 years) and am very happy so far with the average fuel consumption of 44 mpg and a high of 49mpg(possible 650-700 mile range).
With the Honda e, I do my bit around town reducing emissions, but until something becomes available that can meet my requirements for a longer range car, the Volvo stays.
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

@highanddry have you looked at ŠKODA Enyaq? V big book and massive if you throw seats down.
I find the Ioniq 5 much bigger than any vehicle I’ve ever owned. Again very flexible seating
200-250miles range for my performance Ioniq 5 is more than enough. For me it is the speed of charging. On trips to Whitby and Cornwall from rural Worcestershire, we rapid charged at Ionity Leeds and Exeter. Easy. I do recognise we need more of these 350kW chargers
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Joolsdc wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:52 pm @highanddry have you looked at ŠKODA Enyaq? V big book and massive if you throw seats down.
I find the Ioniq 5 much bigger than any vehicle I’ve ever owned. Again very flexible seating
200-250miles range for my performance Ioniq 5 is more than enough. For me it is the speed of charging. On trips to Whitby and Cornwall from rural Worcestershire, we rapid charged at Ionity Leeds and Exeter. Easy. I do recognise we need more of these 350kW chargers
Is that the ‘Extra Services Cullompton’, 14miles North of Exeter?
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current