Extended Range

All Honda E related discussions
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

My typical range is basically identical to that of Londiniumperson.
Normal range without climate is 1% of battery = 1 mile.
The range with and without climate varies depending on the ambient temp and if the climate is heating at low temps or cooling at moderate temps.
The first service is not due to August, so I will monitor again then to see if after the service I see a higher range

Abbe

Post by Abbe »

What are the parameters that are taken into account when it comes to the prediction of the range?
Seems that 1% matches 1.6km (1 mile) is a realistic figure that I can match once I turn of the climate control and drive 95km/h on the highway. I normally use the cruse control on the highway and the one paddle system in the city. Any suggestion to extend the range a little more?
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I popped out into the local town one lunchtime whilst at work and it was a nice 15C and experienced decent efficiency, though it had cooled down for my commute home:

IMG_1137.JPG

2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
advance2020

Post by advance2020 »

Guys,
This thread is not about your actual economy, or lots of other off topic comments here. But some of us have noticed a significant change in Predicted Mileage, whIch we suspect is due to a software update, because our driving habits don't change that much. I have seen my best PM jump from around 123-126 miles to 142/143 that's a big increase for no apparent reason. And we know Japanese cars have even better stats.
Platinum White Pearl: e-driving green at last, on R17 Michelin Pilot Sport
A fan of One Pedal Driving max >>> and physical buttons
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

advance2020 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:35 am Guys,
This thread is not about your actual economy, or lots of other off topic comments here. But some of us have noticed a significant change in Predicted Mileage, whIch we suspect is due to a software update, because our driving habits don't change that much. I have seen my best PM jump from around 123-126 miles to 142/143 that's a big increase for no apparent reason. And we know Japanese cars have even better stats.
As previously posted I have not seen a change in predicted range, however now that the temperatures are on the rise, the range lost due to the climate control has changed from 12-20 miles to 2-5 miles as it moves from power sapping heating to cooling.

With the increased range that your car is showing, is this repeated on all charges from when first noticed and have you been able to actually achieve close to that range to confirm what the car predicts?
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Are people's ranges extended just by the fact the weather is now warmer?

I have been able to make a couple of journeys during late morning & early afternoon recently and noticed that I can comfortably get 4.8+ miles/kWh, on one trip yesterday where the first 3 miles were slow I was seeing an average of up to 6.3 miles/kWh, ending up with 4.8 miles/kWh over a 25.4 mile trip with approx half of that at 65-70mph on a dual carriageway?

Therefore as I usually see around 1 mile per percent of charge (i.e. 100 miles range @ 100 SoC) with an average efficiency around 3.4m/kWh, then surely if I'm easily getting 4.8+m/kWh then my range at 100 SoC will be 140+ miles.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

I am certainly seeing some improvement as expected with the warmer weather. I just charged to 85%, which shows 97 miles with climate off, so 114 miles at 100%.
A couple of 2 mile trips into town have shown as high as mid 4's with low to mid 3's on the way back. My last trip which was a 16 mile gentle roundtrip achieved high 3's, which is what I think the range after todays charging is calculating from.

Still, however slowly, gently, throttle off I drive, I am yet to see anything close to 5 or 6 miles/kWh, with my 900 miles average at 3.0
I have no trouble getting efficiency in my XC90, two 100+ mile trips this week I achieved 47mpg on each trip with considerably higher average speeds than in the Honda
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

FMIB: yeah, the volvo might be feasible to get 'efficiency' up a bit, esp in slightly warmer weather - but it's still sh?t compared to an ev! The e's efficiency problem comes from it's drag coefficient: The 'drag area' (drag coefficient - probably around 0.32) multiplied by cross-sectional frontal area; this is fairly high compared to the sleeker (tesla-fastback style) vehicles. There is a relationship to length ratio to csa - as that ratio rises to iro 3 to 4, (i.e. body 4 times as long as max csa) the drag coefficient reduces. After this, skin friction becomes relatively more important. So the e is short and stumpy hence the high drag coefficient. The relatively bluff rear-end hinders pressure recovery (worsens drag), as does the concave upper nose - looks funky, costs drag.

Londinium: my initial post regarding this was because our gom 'jumped' overnight - but in cold weather. 36 hours later, however, the weather improved somewhat: was the e getting forecasts? Odd. However, yesterday my wife drove Esme on a 60-miler; now the gom is down 20%+. That's entirely due to driving style.

Fab car though!
atb - ttp
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

FMIB: sorry forgot to add this bit: Yeah, for sure it's the battery self-heating that screws the efficiency for the first 10 minutes/miles: short trips from a 'cold-start' are an efficiency killer. It seems the battery pack isn't too well thermally insulated, only taking around an hour to cool somewhat below optimum. I'd love to see the model for this, but H are to secretive to ever allow external tech input, i think. Shame, 'cause it's costing them.

atb - ttp
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Turntoport, I am not convinced the drag coefficient on the e has much bearing on my efficiency given that my average speeds on the e look to be in the 15-25mph range.
The XC90 is a brick going trough the air, its a diesel, not a plug in hybrid. I decided against a plug in hybrid for the Volvo since I have the e for all my short town trips and on the longer trips I would have a limited battery range and then end up with a relatively thirsty petrol engine.
The other deciding factor was the additional premium of £10,000+ for the plug in hybrid, which made no sense for me.

Yes, you may be correct about the battery preheating. I was a bit surprised to find that an EV can be almost as inefficient as an ICE for the first few miles

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post