The e gets a Which? Magazine best buy recommendation

All Honda E related discussions
Yellow e

Post by Yellow e »

Our lovely little machine was 3rd place (but second as a best buy) in the annual Which? survey in the small cars category.

35C8B775-9DFD-461F-8107-196DA7824450.jpeg

Advance, Charge Yellow, little wheels, 3pin home charger.

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Hopefully more will buy them on the back of this article.

I'm really surprised that the Zoe only got 9% :o surely it's not significantly worse that any other car of 2019.
Last edited by londiniumperson on Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

As much as I love the e, I'd struggle to recommend it to anyone as strongly as that! Especially its cold weather performance is poor (sticking handles, poor pre heat management re condensation etc).

Yes it's a great small car (spec/equipment/looks etc), but is it really that strong overall? Even if you take price out of it, its still got a tiny boot, cramped seating and naff door handles. I know different people will have different needs/use cases, but I suspect many would be happier and better off in something else in the category.

I know a few here have traded the e for a new jazz, what would they say to the weighting of the result? Is the Jazz better day to day? The 10th Gen Civic we have is a little on the large side and has poor visibility and terrible turning circle, perhaps the jazz is more of a 'civic' in the old sense of the civic sizing/category.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Reading just the summaries of each car and not having access to the whole report, it’s pretty obvious that the safety rating was a significant factor is the scoring whereas boot space and economy were of little consequence. Also reading into the Jazz summary it implies that Which members comments had a bearing on the ratings, if this is the case then the demographic of a typical Which member probably accounts for the result of the Jazz taking top spot.

Decades ago when the internet wasn’t so prevalent, I placed a lot of trust in the Which testing & reports, however personally I find that they are of very limited use to me.. This is because I feel that they tend to focus on ease of use & safety way too much and other factors that I don’t generally prioritise in my purchases, maybe that will change when I’m in retirement and have different priorities.
I do applaud them though for sticking to their testing processes, procedures & scoring in which they are transparent and make public.

In summary my view of the Which organisation is that anyone taking their top pick recommendations for products won’t end end up with a bad product, however they are also equally likely not to end up with the best product either.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

I would have got the new Civic (after 5 Civics) but the even greater length was no use to me, so went for a Jazz EX. Very pleased with the new hybrid system, an easy real world 60mpg, the cabin is as big as the Civic, the ride as good (specially got 15in wheels for the ride) and almost as quiet as the E. Nice lift from traffic lights because of the electric motor, surprising other cars. It's a good motorway car and long distance traveller while long distance charging remains sub optimum.
Still love the E. If you have a garage and home charging and want a car just for shopping and local hops, it is unsurpassed for pleasurable driving. Get a smile every time you silently zoom off.

Perfect Jazz would be what I have got now with the camera mirrors of the advance E, a double screen for sat nav and music at the same time, the all round camera views for parking, and get rid of the pointless auto gear stick for buttons, probably still there not to scare their existing older customers. But the extra cost might be too much for the small car market - like the E!

P.S. when I was looking around for the E the Zoe had a lot of poor reliability reports which put me off.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

I also made the switch from the E to the Jazz.
The E was a great car to drive, but for me the Jazz surpasses it in most areas, especially practicality. The driving position better fits me and economy has ranged from mid 40's to low 80's to the gallon depending on conditions and journey distance. Overall its in the high 50's/mid 60's.
For a pure city car, where range is no issue, the E is hard to beat.
However, the only thing I really miss from the E is the 360 parking camera, other than that, the Jazz has reasonable performance, exceptional range and is comfortable, refined and some £10-15K cheaper depending on spec.