Charging speed type 2 public charger

All Honda E related discussions
betonos

Post by betonos »

Hi Guys,

Today I've used type 2 public charger for the first time. Not quick ccs2 DC type, just type 2 AC charger. It's rated at 22kw max output. I understand that E can charge around 6+kw from such charger. I'm using GreenCell single phase type 2 cable, bought on Amazon. Now according to the data my car shows when charging (and I've started charging at aorund 65% SoC), it tells me the charge would take around 4,5 hours to complete. Now, this seems very slow, close to 7% gain per hr. If you do the calculations, this seems as charge rate close to 2,5kw rather than expected 6+kw. The charging time seems very close to what i get from typical 230v charge at home. And altough I've read with people not being able to achieve great speeds with DC charge, I've not read anybody having such slow rates with type2 chargers. This rate is rather typical for charging from 230v outlet.

The app for this provider doesn't show any details, neither honda or it's app does. Do you think the culprit can be the single phase charging cable? Shoul I've purchased three phase charging cable? (but honda supports only single phase charging anyways, so it didn't make sense to me to purchase three phase cable).

The cable is: Green Cell® GC Type 2 | 7.2kW | 32A | Type 2 to Type 2 | 5 Meters | 1-Phase
- so by all I've read here, this falls perfectly within specs.

Any help would be apprecciated.

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Single phase type 2 chargers can support up to 7KW/32A, but the charger sets the speed based on installation specifics (Wiring and feed).

It may be that the feed to the unit is not 32A capable, so the charger would be set by the installer to only operate at a specific rate (16A for example). I suspect that is the case here. Where are you located? 32A single phase is not so common in Europe - with a preference for 16A/3phase as I understand it (which for the E makes it barely faster than domestic socket charging as it does not have 3 phase charging ability).

I can confirm that the e will charge at 7KW/32A single phase type 2 charger if the charger supports it (This is how I charge at home in the UK). I also know that the charger can be set to charge slower based on physical installation parameters (Such as internal wiring type etc).
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
betonos

Post by betonos »

I'm located in Poland and using Tauron's charging station (Tauron is one of the biggest energy providers here). By their own online specs, their charging stations should be able to provide 32A as they state:

Max 3x 32A
22 kW – 44 kW

But it might be as well, that this particular station is for example older model and not capable of 32A output. I'll try to contact them and get the info.
betonos

Post by betonos »

Ok, I've managed to get the info from Tauron: this particular outlet is of older type and it supports only 3x16A. Therefore, this is exactly what EEEE said above and it will therefore not charge any faster. Bummer, but at least it should be healthier for the battery at this slow charging speed ;)
Keawon

Post by Keawon »

Honda e onboard charger only supports 6.6kW with 32A single phase.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

When I check my hypervolt charger app, it shows the charging power around 7.1kw. When I check my octopus account, I can see 3.6kw in each half hour slot at those times in the dead of night...

I suspect the 6.6kw is either only correct for lower european voltages, or not correct at all? I don't have any real time voltage readings, but at 230v that makes 30.8amps.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Keawon

Post by Keawon »

Hi, you have to to consider charging losses, I think its about 5-10%.
Because car can only take 6.6kW AC even if u feed it with more.
And also some of the power might go to warm the battery in winter.
Accord

Post by Accord »

I seem to only get 22.1A charging speed on my new Honda e.
With my 244V that only totals to 5.4kWh!

It says charging speed “normal”. Is there any way to increase it?

My IONIQ has a 32A charger, and I usually get 31.5A, resulting in 7.6kWh charge speed.
Accord

Post by Accord »

Huh?.. After charging for 30 minutes+, going from 60 to 75%, it’s now ramping up the charging speed. Currently at 28A and increasing.

I guess maybe the battery is just too cold.

Edit:
Maxed out at 29.9A, 7.4kWh.
So way more than the 6.6Wh stated.

I guess it’s a 30A charger and they’ve calculated with 220V.
The extra ~25V I’m getting is giving me another 750W - nice.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Yes , after multiple days of disuse and low ambients, the charging rate is definitely slower to begin with.

Where are you measuring the voltage? You will get a drop of course, but only a couple hundred watts at full draw.

The charger at work lists the voltage on all 3 phases. The disused phases were at 251.2v , but the L1 phase pulling 28.9a dropped to 246.6v , so about 130w charging losses (makes sense, the cable is usually warmed but not excessively during 7kw charging). This was during the first 30seconds of charge, I didn't hang around as it was too cold...

In the UK Climate at least, and charging up from reasonably full each day - the charging pretty much goes full speed straight away as far as 7kw charging is concerned.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post