Best place for the phone mount?

All Honda E related discussions
vulgaris_magistralis

Post by vulgaris_magistralis »

Although I use Apple Carplay, I always like to mount my phone to an easy to reach place (preferable the mount doubles as wireless charging). Usually I mount a suction cup on the windscreen next to the A pillar but with the Honda e, I think it would restrict the visibility a lot.

I bought and tried a to install the Otterbox Magsafe Vent Mount but it didn't fit in the vents. Finding an alternative place got me puzzled. Where did you mount your phone? And how did you manage the wiring?

Capture.PNG

Accord

Post by Accord »

Struggling with same thing. I don’t want it on the vents though, I generally don’t like that solution. I’ve bought a wireless charger with automatic height adjustment (to match the coils, very fancy!) so I’m trying to find a place where it doesn’t ruin the nice and clean interior. Most likely a short distance from the USB-ports so I can use a 20cm cable.
I might put it under the armrest if I can route the cable nicely.
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

I bought one like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004249766559.html I mounted it in vent same place as in picture but it was a bit too low. It was blocking seat heating button and as I accidentally switch it on once in a while I wanted to see that button. So I modified it a bit to make it a bit higher. Then I bought 90 degree usb c adapter so cable doesn't stick down and now it's perfect. I'll post image when I get there.

ETA
Found similar to mine but I have without backlight
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Magnetic-Wir ... 109&sr=8-9
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

You can see what I did here:
Apple MagSafe Charger Installation
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
vulgaris_magistralis

londiniumperson wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:52 pm You can see what I did here:
Hi Londiniumperson, I've seen your solution before and tried the same spot. Although it would be a good spot for just getting the phone charged, it is inconvenient for me to reach since the steering wheel gets in the way. I'd prefer something that I can touch the screen easily when I'm at the stoplight.
vulgaris_magistralis

zemdega wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:23 pm I bought one like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004249766559.html I mounted it in vent same place as in picture but it was a bit too low. It was blocking seat heating button and as I accidentally switch it on once in a while I wanted to see that button. So I modified it a bit to make it a bit higher. Then I bought 90 degree usb c adapter so cable doesn't stick down and now it's perfect. I'll post image when I get there.

ETA
Found similar to mine but I have without backlight
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Magnetic-Wir ... 109&sr=8-9
The vent connector looks almost identical to what I have but mine didn't fit; strange. But thanks, it is good to know there is a product that fits the vent.

Capture.PNG

vulgaris_magistralis

I've found this Brodit Proclip (https://www.brodit.co.uk/brodit/vehicle ... 855632.htm) solution that is designed specificly for Honda e. However, this is just a place to mount to phone so I'll need an additional mounting point besides that; which would make it very bulky. Therefore this would be my last resort solution.

Capture.PNG

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

vulgaris_magistralis wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:55 am
londiniumperson wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:52 pm You can see what I did here:
Hi Londiniumperson, I've seen your solution before and tried the same spot. Although it would be a good spot for just getting the phone charged, it is inconvenient for me to reach since the steering wheel gets in the way. I'd prefer something that I can touch the screen easily when I'm at the stoplight.
Not only is it dangerous using a phone whilst driving, but in the UK it’s also illegal to use whilst stationary in traffic, therefore my location is the perfect solution for me.
There’s absolutely no need to touch it with both Apple CarPlay & Android Auto available via the car’s touch screen.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

So this is how it looks like. I specifically searched for attachment where there's some kind of hook and possibility to tighten it up. I had other holders where you just push it in and rubber should do the job but it never works. At least for me.

IMG_7724 copy.jpg

90 degree usb thingy is super cool. I was thinking of some cable management before I bought it but when I put it in it was like "it just works" :D I mean cable now is in place I wanted without any extra attachment.

IMG_7725 copy.jpg

I just rolled up extra cable part and put in pouch under ports.

IMG_7726 copy.jpg

Maybe somebody wants something super high tech but I'm really happy with this setup.

One thing I didn't post is my modification to make it a bit higher. I can show them if needed.
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

May I ask what for do you need the phone screen? Most of the features that are required during driving are on the infotainment anyway.

My phone lives in the pocket under the usb ports with a short usb cable connection. Not the most modern solution, but it is not in a way of anything and doesn't tempt me to do illegal actions :D

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post