Alternative e-SIM internet provider

All Honda E related discussions
hondaeboy

Post by hondaeboy »

Has anyone successfully used the "Internet in the car" option, because just like the Honda customer service, the Vodafone customer service seems to be horrible as well. :lol:

Is it possible to use another (e-SIM) provider?

I have tried setting up the Vodafone account. It took quite a while to figure out how to get it done through Vodafone. Once the account was set up, confirmed, and all, I got a screen saying that there are no subscriptions available in my country (strange). I should contact them to ask them if they might have some custom bundles available. When I called them they wanted to know my account details. Even though the account was registered with full address, postal codes, country, cell phone, and credit card, they could NOT find my account (stranger). Then they told me I should try to contact Vodafone Germany, because they couldn't see any of my account details (even strangerer).

I'm now considering just using an alternative e-SIM provider, one that I already have an subscription with, if possible. Does anyone know if that's possible?
2021 Honda e Advance on 16" RC30 wheels with Goodyear 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
Wrapped in Red metallic with full black and cinnamon leather interior.

Tonxzy

Post by Tonxzy »

I have nearly the same problem. I bought my car in austria and i use it in hungary. The car settings are for austria also the e-sim. I created an account in hungary without any problems, vodafone sad they don't have any subscriptions here, but they will activate for me 1TB for 1 year for free. Next day the amount was there but i still had no internet in the car. After tons of emails they told me i should ask honda to change the national code to hungary and then it will work. After 3 month and a lot of visits at honda dealers still no success. They can't change the code. I made an other subscription in austria but there i have to visit a local provider to make sure that i'm who i'm. And the adress will be also checked but i have no valid adress in austria:( So after nearly 6 month i still cant use the e-sim and the honda app because honda cant change the national code of the car.
'20 Honda E Advance white
'13 Honda Civic 1.6DTEC
'05 Honda Civic VSA 2.0
hondaero

Post by hondaero »

... and here is goes again :) ...

Both of you have TCUs registered in supported countries (DE and AT), so it should be fine if you connect with your app selecting that specific country on 1st screen.
Indeed, the app will operate in that specific language, but at least it will allow you to check if the communication between Car and App works.
Have you already tried this ?

Regarding Honda <-> Vodafone connectivity:
- Honda & Vodafone contract agreed at HQ level and applicable cross Europe
- activated e-SIM should work in Europe - dealer should be able to check and confirm
- local Vodafone COs do not involve / not aware about this matter (global agreement)
Is it possible to use another (e-SIM) provider?
-> most likely NOT, it needs compatible application to be run on car
- contacting vodafone internetincar and mentioning Honda -> they are pointing you to Honda Connected Services (the link and process exist).

HTH,
Thanks
~amo~
2023 Honda e Red Advance on 16" Michelin 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
Tonxzy

Post by Tonxzy »

Yes that's true my car is registered in AT, and if I choose an austrian adress I recieve the code but after that I see about 10 minutes just a running circle and I recieve an error. So i have to start all over again. I tried this many times and no success, but every time I recieve an email that i successfully registered to Myhonda+ but they show me a wrong name of some Daniel H. The communication works over the hotspot of my phone and not over the built in sim card.
Vodafone said that the e-sim is also registered in AT, so in HU they can't do nothing I have to visit a local Honda dealer so they change the AT to HU. But I was at 2 dealers, spoke with a lof ot Honda technicians, and nobody could help me. In a german E forum one owner told me it is possible to change the code and showed me the print of the changes, but he won't tell me the name of the dealer:(
The E-sim is working but no internet in the car:(
It could be so simple just an oldschool sim slot for internet and a built in E-sim for emergency calls.
'13 Honda Civic 1.6DTEC
'05 Honda Civic VSA 2.0
hondaero

Post by hondaero »

IMO you're seeing a different fault here.

Communication App-Car (in AT) should be fine as you receive PIN and able to send it for confirmation. Most likely your record in Honda's Digital Service is wrong and that should be corrected. For that, you need support from Honda Authorized Dealer.

So, if your address and residence are in HU, I would advice the following:
- go to Honda Authorized Dealer in Hungary
- ask them to "Change the country" for your TCU to HU
- AFAIK 2 ways to do it:
1/ internal ticketing system (as per Technical Ticket) however Create Issue of type "CONNECTED SERVICES SUPPORT". IMO they should ask for TCU country change (AT->HU) + reset of the data related to your Vin / car
2/ or they usually have access to Digital Services Portal being able to operate those changes themselves.
- remove + fresh install of My Honda App+:
- select country HU
- register a fresh / new account to avoid any potential conflicts.

HTH,
Thanks
~amo~
hondaero

Post by hondaero »

Tonxzy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:42 pm Yes that's true my car is registered in AT, and if I choose an austrian adress I recieve the code but after that I see about 10 minutes just a running circle and I recieve an error. So i have to start all over again. I tried this many times and no success, but every time I recieve an email that i successfully registered to Myhonda+ but they show me a wrong name of some Daniel H. The communication works over the hotspot of my phone and not over the built in sim card.
Maybe I got it wrong:
- "I recieve the code" -> does it refer to receiving PIN on car or OTP (One Time Password) code in My Honda App+ ?

If second, I would advice you try to register with a new email address and check if it works.

Thanks
~amo~
hondaeboy

Post by hondaeboy »

Tonxzy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:42 pm I tried this many times and no success, but every time I recieve an email that i successfully registered to Myhonda+ but they show me a wrong name of some Daniel H.
The former owner needs to be removed (or "unlinked" as my dealer called it). This was the case with my car as well, and was done almost instantaneously. Then they *should* be able to easily change the country as well in their own dealer portal (this has still not been successfully done in my case).
Tonxzy

Post by Tonxzy »

hondaero wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:29 pm IMO you're seeing a different fault here.

Communication App-Car (in AT) should be fine as you receive PIN and able to send it for confirmation. Most likely your record in Honda's Digital Service is wrong and that should be corrected. For that, you need support from Honda Authorized Dealer.

So, if your address and residence are in HU, I would advice the following:
- go to Honda Authorized Dealer in Hungary
- ask them to "Change the country" for your TCU to HU
- AFAIK 2 ways to do it:
1/ internal ticketing system (as per Technical Ticket) however Create Issue of type "CONNECTED SERVICES SUPPORT". IMO they should ask for TCU country change (AT->HU) + reset of the data related to your Vin / car
2/ or they usually have access to Digital Services Portal being able to operate those changes themselves.
- remove + fresh install of My Honda App+:
- select country HU
- register a fresh / new account to avoid any potential conflicts.

HTH,
Thanks
~amo~
If I register with hungarian adress I don't recieve the PIN, with austrian adress I get the pin but after writing it in the APP I have to wait about 10 minutes and after that I get an error. But on my email I recieve the mail that I succesfully registered to the app.

That's exactly what i want to change the country. But none of the dealers can do it.I visited 2 dealers wrote to Honda HU they told me I should visit a dealer and they can make it. After 3 hours we called Honda technician who said it won't work, no possibility to change the country. But I know that it's possible, but the dealers can't do it.

Tonxzy
'13 Honda Civic 1.6DTEC
'05 Honda Civic VSA 2.0
Tonxzy

Post by Tonxzy »

hondaeboy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:42 pm
Tonxzy wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:42 pm I tried this many times and no success, but every time I recieve an email that i successfully registered to Myhonda+ but they show me a wrong name of some Daniel H.
The former owner needs to be removed (or "unlinked" as my dealer called it). This was the case with my car as well, and was done almost instantaneously. Then they *should* be able to easily change the country as well in their own dealer portal (this has still not been successfully done in my case).
I wrote the former owner but they didn't even answer. So it's not so simple as I thought:(
'13 Honda Civic 1.6DTEC
'05 Honda Civic VSA 2.0
hondaeboy

Post by hondaeboy »

Tonxzy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:27 pm I wrote the former owner but they didn't even answer. So it's not so simple as I thought:(
I think the Honda dealer can do this for you though. So you don't need to contact the previous owner.