Soft paint easy chipping

All Honda E related discussions
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Maybe it is just me, but it seems like the Honda E paint lacks durability and I haven't seen the issue being discussed much nor has it been mentioned in any of the reviews. Therefore, I wanted to bring it up so that people considering getting the car would make an informed decision and the existing owners would be extra careful with it.

My charged yellow Honda E is a little bit more than one year old. I did not drive it on gravel nor have I a tailgating habit. Yet, when today I was carrying on a detailed spring hand wash I noticed many minor paint chips. Some of them are showing blue primer, while others (on the front edge of the bonnet, and the lower edge of a wheel arch) are metal black, which makes me believe that it won't take long until rust will be present in those places. Rust issue is not something one expects to deal with on a car that is still under the warranty... I am considering wrapping the car to prevent further damage.

Another thing I have noticed is that road debris sticks easily and deeply in the paint. Due to the soft coating, it doesn't come off with pressure washing and requires claying the car on regular basis. Pretty sure it is not as visible in less vibrant colors, but before the E I had a Fiat 500 in electric blue and this was less of an issue.

Is it just me or do you also find the coating on the E problematic? If so, is it a typical Honda thing or just the E thing?

hondaeboy

Post by hondaeboy »

I did not notice the chipping, as I had already wrapped it as a precaution, but during my two day test drive I did notice that the car is really dirt prone. A bit of rain, sand, and dirt, and the car was totally covered in mud and crap on the side doors and back. Maybe it's because the (back) wheels are so close to the back of the car? I can't remember having this issue with any of my Civics.

That's why I added the mudguards. But even with them, i notice that the back is still easily covered in (a little bit less of) a layer of dust. Maybe I should add even better mudguards with those flaps or something?
2021 Honda e Advance on 16" RC30 wheels with Goodyear 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
Wrapped in Red metallic with full black and cinnamon leather interior.
zemdega

Post by zemdega »

I'm really careful with our car but I found 2 little holes in paint in first year. Not sure when and how I got them but it looks that they chipped very easily. Only upside is that looks like under paint there's primer so these holes won't be rusting or something very soon.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

The paint is like a sheet of paper... It gets rusty if you let it.. last winter I've had to use a correction paint pen in a few rusty spots..
My car sees plenty of road but even so to my previous cars it is quite slim.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

hondaeboy wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:09 pm I did not notice the chipping, as I had already wrapped it as a precaution, but during my two day test drive I did notice that the car is really dirt prone. A bit of rain, sand, and dirt, and the car was totally covered in mud and crap on the side doors and back. Maybe it's because the (back) wheels are so close to the back of the car? I can't remember having this issue with any of my Civics.

That's why I added the mudguards. But even with them, i notice that the back is still easily covered in (a little bit less of) a layer of dust. Maybe I should add even better mudguards with those flaps or something?
To my understanding this is a common thing with all hatchbacks. The shape creates large air turbulance area behind the car and causes the back to get dirty quickly. This is why sedans are more fuel efficient and less dirty.

I don't think any amount of mudguards would help in this situation.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Yes, I noticed this as well. Charge yellow, 2 years old / 17k miles. Few stone chips mostly on the front bumper and front bonnet edge. Few impacts on the bonnet also.

Paint does seem thin and particularly grabby for particles like brake dust and black soot. All the dirt seems to end up on the tailgate below the rear wiper, or in the hidden shut under the boot. I suspect having a flat floor underneath the car help promote the hoovering affect?

As mentioned, I had to clay bar it once and it seems a pointless task, because just a few weeks later, black crap is stuck to it again in a way that is almost impossible to remove with snow foam / wash mit / APC. English weather doesn't permit frequent washing and waxing. It would be interesting to hear if a professional ceramic coating helps prevent adhesion. That said, hot brake dust particles will probably stick to anything. I don't use the cruise control and try not to use regen braking above 1 click (as in settings 2 and 3 you are using the brakes)

Wifes Civic (10th gen - cassis red) doesn't seem to suffer the same issue at all. There are a couple of damages , but not stone chips or anything, and she has done double the mileage I have. It's also ugly - so perhaps the stones avoid it on purpose :)
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

EEEE wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:30 am Yes, I noticed this as well. Charge yellow, 2 years old / 17k miles. Few stone chips mostly on the front bumper and front bonnet edge. Few impacts on the bonnet also.

Paint does seem thin and particularly grabby for particles like brake dust and black soot. All the dirt seems to end up on the tailgate below the rear wiper, or in the hidden shut under the boot. I suspect having a flat floor underneath the car help promote the hoovering affect?

As mentioned, I had to clay bar it once and it seems a pointless task, because just a few weeks later, black crap is stuck to it again in a way that is almost impossible to remove with snow foam / wash mit / APC. English weather doesn't permit frequent washing and waxing. It would be interesting to hear if a professional ceramic coating helps prevent adhesion. That said, hot brake dust particles will probably stick to anything. I don't use the cruise control and try not to use regen braking above 1 click (as in settings 2 and 3 you are using the brakes)

Wifes Civic (10th gen - cassis red) doesn't seem to suffer the same issue at all. There are a couple of damages , but not stone chips or anything, and she has done double the mileage I have. It's also ugly - so perhaps the stones avoid it on purpose :)
How bad paint chips is in part due to the paint as we know and some colours on the e seem more susceptible than others.

The white MG ZS EV is well known for it's very think, easily to chip paint, whereas the tri-coat red option is a lot better.

Mine is black and got a nasty stone chip on the bonnet soon after I bought it but I've not seen any others since even though the first 2 years I mainly drove it on motorways & dual carriageways; though I do generally leave a lot of space between me and the vehicle in front, so much so that often 2 or 3 cars plug in the gap at motorway exits.

I had mine ceramic coated the day I picked my car up buy a professional company (not the dealer) and I haven't had to even use tar remover yet on it, however until the end of last year I had been cleaning it monthly with:
non-acid, non-alkaline alloy wheel cleaner
  • Bilt Hamber non-acid, non-alkaline alloy wheel cleaner
  • jet wash rinse of wheels, wheel arches & underbody
  • clean tyre walls & jet wash rinse them
  • 2 snow foams
  • jet wash rinse
  • 2 bucket method with at least 3 changes of water
  • jet wash rinse
  • dried with a top quality drying towel
  • occasionally used a polish
and that's just the outside.

The Honda ALWAYS uses the brakes, no matter what level of regen you select.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
hondaero

Post by hondaero »

Paint chips and even rust reported on German site as well :(
Seeing the same topic here I'm becoming concerned :shock:
Their tip: stone chip protection film at least on the front edge of the hood.

Wondering if Honda recommends something.

Thanks,
~amo~
2023 Honda e Red Advance on 16" Michelin 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I spent too many hours this weekend detailing the exterior of my car. In the process of clay barring it I quickly discovered that it has many more stone chips than I had realised, mainly on the bonnet & front wings.
To top this off it rained this morning :(
I’ll be giving it another clean on Thursday evening because my workplace is having a car meet on Friday to promote EV use as well as a general car enthusiast get together and I said that I can bring my Honda e.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
vulgaris_magistralis

Post by vulgaris_magistralis »

hondaeboy wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:09 pm I did not notice the chipping, as I had already wrapped it as a precaution, but during my two day test drive I did notice that the car is really dirt prone. A bit of rain, sand, and dirt, and the car was totally covered in mud and crap on the side doors and back. Maybe it's because the (back) wheels are so close to the back of the car? I can't remember having this issue with any of my Civics.

I totally agree with the dirt accumulation; especially the door frames. I guess my previous cars had self cleaning ones because whenever I open the door I see all sorts of gunk accumulated between the A-pillar and the door. Never cleaned a car as much as well so the feeling is mutual.

However, I found a solution that works for me. It made a day and night difference when I waxed the car and dressed the tires. It created a hydrophobic layer so things don't stick. After waxing at the beginning of summer, I just took it to self car wash once every 2-3 weeks or so and it still looks shiny and repellent. Oh btw, I'm dealing with the bird crap immediately with waterless wash&wax :lol:

Not sure if it would work with a wrap but here is what I've used if anybody is interested.

- General wash: Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax
- Wax: Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax
- Tire dressing: Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss Tyre Gel
- Touch up: Meguiar's Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post