Dash Camera Installation

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
dVb9

Post by dVb9 »

Finally got round to installing a dashcam this weekend. I decided to go for a Nextbase 522GW, which is the same model I've got in the Kona.

I certainly wasn't brave enough to attempt removing the A-pillar trim, but like my Kona, the e has enough of a gap between the trim/headlining and the screen to push the cable behind. The only place it shows is at the very base of the screen where it traverses the top of the dashboard, but it sort of blends in so I can live with that.

Last edited by dVb9 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pennyg66

Post by Pennyg66 »

Did you fit a rear camera?
dVb9

Post by dVb9 »

It's a bit hard to see in the photo, but the 522GW has an optional add-on module that uses a zoom lens to simultaneously record a rear view image. It's not quite as good as having a dedicated rear-mounted camera, but it's adequate once positioned correctly and saves a fair amount of installation hassle.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

dVb9 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:39 pm It's a bit hard to see in the photo, but the 522GW has an optional add-on module that uses a zoom lens to simultaneously record a rear view image. It's not quite as good as having a dedicated rear-mounted camera, but it's adequate once positioned correctly and saves a fair amount of installation hassle.
I thought that add-on was for taxis etc to record the interior cabin rather than through the rear window.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
dVb9

Post by dVb9 »

They do two - one called cabin view, the other called rear view. They look all-but identical, except for the lens part (of course).
ZeroEmissionRequiem

Post by ZeroEmissionRequiem »

Old thread, but I think it's better to keep the relevant information in one place.

I hardwired my Viofo A119S today using a fuse tap on the driver side (LHD) fuse box. I had intended to tap into the front accessory socket fuse, but to my chagrin I discovered that it has constant power! I found this pretty weird, as the front accessory socket (12V) itself is not constantly powered...same thing with rear USB charger fuse.

In the end, I tapped the rear wiper fuse, and it worked as intended, with the dashcam powering up as the car is started.

Thanks to londiniumperson for the instructions; pulling the door aperture seal made this the easiest one I've ever done.
2022 e Advance
YogiX

Post by YogiX »

Hi All,

Just joined the forum.

We are hopefully purchasing a Honda E at the weekend and I would like to install a front and rear dash cam. As I don't have the car yet I'm not sure how easy this is.

Looking at the Viofo a139 pro currently as the picture quality looks pretty good.

I'm also looking at getting the hardwire kit so we can activate the parking mode.

Has anyone noticed any impact to the accessory battery?
williamchan

Post by williamchan »

YogiX wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:24 am Hi All,

Just joined the forum.

We are hopefully purchasing a Honda E at the weekend and I would like to install a front and rear dash cam. As I don't have the car yet I'm not sure how easy this is.

Looking at the Viofo a139 pro currently as the picture quality looks pretty good.

I'm also looking at getting the hardwire kit so we can activate the parking mode.

Fitting both front and rear camera shouldn't be too difficult, the fuse box is under the steering wheel and you might first want to check if the length of stock cable is long enough.

If you are driving the E every few days it should be fine to leave parking mode on but if you are like me who always leave the E for a week or two, it is better to get your dashcam a separate battery and depend on the size of the battery you should consider not to tap it to a constant fuse but a switched fuse to avoid draining the 12V.

Search "12V battery" in this forum and you will find quite a few discussions about it.

I just grabbed my E a 20W solar maintainer (connect it directly to the 12V and had the power cord run through the firewall, passenger side trims and stick it to the rear window), testing in process so can't tell how good/bad it is.
YogiX

Post by YogiX »

williamchan wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:38 pm
YogiX wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:24 am Hi All,

Just joined the forum.

Fitting both front and rear camera shouldn't be too difficult, the fuse box is under the steering wheel and you might first want to check if the length of stock cable is long enough.

If you are driving the E every few days it should be fine to leave parking mode on but if you are like me who always leave the E for a week or two, it is better to get your dashcam a separate battery and depend on the size of the battery you should consider not to tap it to a constant fuse but a switched fuse to avoid draining the 12V.

Search "12V battery" in this forum and you will find quite a few discussions about it.

I just grabbed my E a 20W solar maintainer (connect it directly to the 12V and had the power cord run through the firewall, passenger side trims and stick it to the rear window), testing in process so can't tell how good/bad it is.
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like I have a bit more research to do. I have looked on Viofo's website and they recommend the Cellink NEO Battery — BlackboxMyCar which is quite pricey. But I think I can get a cheaper, non blackboxmycar branded version.

Your solar maintainer sounds interesting. Does that replace the battery pack? Would be good to see some pics of your installation.
williamchan

Post by williamchan »

As it’s just a “maintainer” so do not expect it will charge the battery but more like slowing down the draining.

Fitting is kind of straightforward and just need to be careful when punching the hole of the firewall.

IMG_1169.jpeg

IMG_1168.jpeg

You will then need to pull out the top part of rubber seal on the rear passenger side door, check carefully and you will find a hole facing top, it is where the wire can go in and reach the tailgate.

IMG_1170.jpeg

IMG_1171.jpeg

IMG_1172.jpeg

Hope this help!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post