Help... Rattle

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
Distant

Post by Distant »

Hi all, I hope you are well. I took the plunge and bought a used Honda E. On the test drive across some bumpy roads there wasn't a single rattle. However since taking it from the dealer a slight rattle has occurred (v annoying) appreciate that there are plenty of threads on it and have tried messaging owners who had some success with it. Think it's the common one / near the sun visor passenger side... if anyone has any tips or solutions or even better the name of the dealership they dealt with to resolve that would be most appreciated.... apart from that car is great, definitely heart over head though! Cheers.

5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

My intermittent was from the camera cover behind the rearview mirror. When it happens just place you hand on the cover to see if it stops. If so put a fingernail under the cover by the windscreen and pull away from the windscreen a little and see if it stops. I told the dealer at the first service since there is supposed to be a fix ( a piece of foam underneath??) and it has stopped to a very great degree but I still sometimes pull the cover away from the windscreen on a bad road to stop the rattle. Originally from new I could not pinpoint it as driver, it sounded like something serious under the dash, but my son as passenger recognised the source straight away.
Distant

Post by Distant »

5thcivic wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:24 pm My intermittent was from the camera cover behind the rearview mirror. When it happens just place you hand on the cover to see if it stops. If so put a fingernail under the cover by the windscreen and pull away from the windscreen a little and see if it stops. I told the dealer at the first service since there is supposed to be a fix ( a piece of foam underneath??) and it has stopped to a very great degree but I still sometimes pull the cover away from the windscreen on a bad road to stop the rattle. Originally from new I could not pinpoint it as driver, it sounded like something serious under the dash, but my son as passenger recognised the source straight away.
Thank you for reply. Will try that out as well.
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Ah, yes. The good old rattle. Maybe one day someone will take the car apart to give us a definitive answer as to what exactly causes it.

Removing the cover behind the rearview mirror didn't help me. I tried driving with it removed and the rattle was still there. It feels as if the rattle comes from the cluster where the SOS button is located, but it looks too intimidating to take apart.

I tried several fixes for the issue and currently driving without the rattle but there is a catch...

Fix #1 - soft feet under the visor. I have noticed that sticking a finger between a closed visor and the interior trim stops the rattle when the rattle appears (for me it is the passenger-side visor on a left-hand car, it could be the driver's side on a right-hand car). I have tried to stick some foam between the closed visor and the interior trim. It helped but looked ugly and had to be reapplied if the visor was ever used by the passenger. So I came up with a more elegant solution - sticking soft bumpers on the interior trim. When the visor is closed, it rests on the soft bumpers, which prevents it from banging the trim, causing rattle on bumpy roads. Did it completely remove the rattle? No. But it required a bumpier road for the rattle to appear.

Fix #2 - foam between the soft interior trim and the car's metal body. Another thing I have noticed is when the rattle appears with an open sunroof, pulling away the interior trim right in the center of the sunroof opening (rearview mirror side) causes the rattle to stop. This made me believe that sticking something between the interior trim and the metal body could keep the trim away and stop the rattle. So I took loads of foam and pushed it in between the body and the trim. It helped but the rattle had not been eradicated.

Fix #3 - close the sunroof. This is the "catch" part of the solution since you might want to keep your sunroof open. I am not sure if this would help without the other fixes, but with the two fixes applied closing the sunroof cover completely stopped the rattle for me. I do believe that it further assists in keeping the interior trim away from the metal body.

Hopefully, someone will come up with a better solution so I can enjoy my sunroof again. Until then, I am hoping that any of this was of use to you and you will be able to enjoy a rattle-free drive. The car feels surprisingly more premium when there is no annoying rattle :)
Distant

Post by Distant »

MaXPainT wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:39 am Ah, yes. The good old rattle. Maybe one day someone will take the car apart to give us a definitive answer as to what exactly causes it.

Removing the cover behind the rearview mirror didn't help me. I tried driving with it removed and the rattle was still there. It feels as if the rattle comes from the cluster where the SOS button is located, but it looks too intimidating to take apart.

I tried several fixes for the issue and currently driving without the rattle but there is a catch...

Fix #1 - soft feet under the visor. I have noticed that sticking a finger between a closed visor and the interior trim stops the rattle when the rattle appears (for me it is the passenger-side visor on a left-hand car, it could be the driver's side on a right-hand car). I have tried to stick some foam between the closed visor and the interior trim. It helped but looked ugly and had to be reapplied if the visor was ever used by the passenger. So I came up with a more elegant solution - sticking soft bumpers on the interior trim. When the visor is closed, it rests on the soft bumpers, which prevents it from banging the trim, causing rattle on bumpy roads. Did it completely remove the rattle? No. But it required a bumpier road for the rattle to appear.

Fix #2 - foam between the soft interior trim and the car's metal body. Another thing I have noticed is when the rattle appears with an open sunroof, pulling away the interior trim right in the center of the sunroof opening (rearview mirror side) causes the rattle to stop. This made me believe that sticking something between the interior trim and the metal body could keep the trim away and stop the rattle. So I took loads of foam and pushed it in between the body and the trim. It helped but the rattle had not been eradicated.

Fix #3 - close the sunroof. This is the "catch" part of the solution since you might want to keep your sunroof open. I am not sure if this would help without the other fixes, but with the two fixes applied closing the sunroof cover completely stopped the rattle for me. I do believe that it further assists in keeping the interior trim away from the metal body.

Hopefully, someone will come up with a better solution so I can enjoy my sunroof again. Until then, I am hoping that any of this was of use to you and you will be able to enjoy a rattle-free drive. The car feels surprisingly more premium when there is no annoying rattle :)
Thank you for taking the time to reply and suggested solutions, appreciated.
Distant

Post by Distant »

Okay. Some positive news. The dealer has eliminated the rattle. I think originally it was coming from the passenger side visor etc but they've identified some pins that were loose near this area and repositioned in the correct position etc and added some foam in this area. They've assured me it's all done and they've tested etc. We will see but they sounded really pleased to sort it out. Will update when I've tested the car properly.