Steering wheel spacer

The place to discuss everything else..
lagom

Post by lagom »

Hi guys,
I’m looking for a way to get the steering wheel more comfortable for tall people, since the available adjustment is really limited. So I thought there should be some steering wheel spacer I can mount to keep the wheel closer to the driver. Have you never heard or tried something like this?

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Gonna be a tough one as there isn't a flat flange type interface between the wheel and the column.

The wheel will have a broached spline directly in the middle of the main casting, and the steering rack is a splined shaft.

If you could get an extender, you would then probably have some trouble with the rotary coupler which joins the electrical parts together. This is mounted to the steering column, and I doubt it has even 1cm of slack.

I have recently dismantled an 8th gen civic steering wheel and there is no way you could space it out any more than say 5mm, as the loom inside the steering wheel which joins to the rotary coupler has no slack either.

It would be quite the task to machine an extender and manually lengthen the loom. You'd then have an unsightly gap between the wheel and the cowl...
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post