End of PCP return - Drive recorder to retain??

The place to discuss everything else..
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

I'm in the final stage to return my beloved e ... since I have 5year service plan I will complete 3rd service & first MOT next week to avoid any possible hassle.

Now, I have Honda's Drive recorder/dash cam installed, paid £400 (£70 install fee + £330) a couple years ago.

Is it worth paying yet another fee and retain the recorder then sell via eBay etc or attach to next Fiat 500e (if possible??). Or shall I just accept as sunk cost and leave it?? FYI. Just like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225435816042 ... R9L54sioYw

Any opinion appreciated.
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:

MrM83

Post by MrM83 »

I don’t know much about this unit, but it’s peaked my interest. I’ve fitted a number of dashcams to various cars I’ve owned over the last 15 years.

The tricky part is always the wiring. If this unit neatly connects into the overhead console (specific to the e) then I can sort of see why it appears to be so expensive. More so if it allows some kind of “smart” recording in conjunction with this.

If not, then it looks like an expensive dashcam sold in the name of Honda.

Either way I don’t think there’s significant benefit of moving it into a new car. Assuming it is a generic wiring solution, if you are able to take it out yourself and you like the unit, then go ahead, else I’d be inclined to start afresh in a new car.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I'd leave it in the car. You only run the risk of damaging the car trim or some other hassle. I certainly wouldn't bother fitting it to another car.

As for the dashcam itself, its pretty crap quality and I've never found the need to connect to its wifi hotspot to look at its features.

The dashcam comes with an e specific wiring loom, it doesn't connect to the overhead, instead it runs in the roof liner and down around the passenger side door I think, then intercepts a multiplug somewhere under the dash.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

Hi MrM83 & EEEE

Thanks for your input!

My husband (who removed his dashcam from Lexus leaving wiring and transferred to Mini by himself) had a look but told me he was not confident for removing this one. Since I will bring in for service anyway, I just thought about it but I shall just leave as is.

I actually hardly looked at recording, let alone understood why Honda says 'more than drive recorder' etc :lol:
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post