12V battery issues

All Honda E related discussions
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Wee Peem wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:58 pm Just a bit of advice please. Awaiting delivery of Yuasa YBX5053 12 volt battery from Halfords, £89.95 including delivery. If I do NOT maintain a 12 volt supply whilst doing the change over what am I likely to have to reset or what data will I lose and anything else I should be concerned about ? I remember the warning about losing battery clamps down into the "guts."
You wont lose any data or settings.

Just be careful when removing the nuts off the top of the tie down rods. They are not connected at the bottom (they are a hook, like an upside down tent peg), and they might just fall into oblivion! Make sure you have one hand on the rod whilst you undo the nut and you will be fine.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

Wee Peem

Post by Wee Peem »

Great, many thanks for that.
Xeast

Post by Xeast »

Sadly the paint on my Apillar got fucked up when the battery went flat and the towtruck came to get it to the shop, the towcompany wont take the damage and there no way for me to prove it was them even tho I never wven entered the car after the battery went flat on my first winter. So now im sitting here with a 800 euro deductible if I want the paint fixed
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Xeast wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:25 pm Sadly the paint on my Apillar got fucked up when the battery went flat and the towtruck came to get it to the shop, the towcompany wont take the damage and there no way for me to prove it was them even tho I never wven entered the car after the battery went flat on my first winter. So now im sitting here with a 800 euro deductible if I want the paint fixed
My battery, not surprisingly has gone flat many times and we all know that the window only damages the paint if the door is shut without it dropping the window down, which happens with a flat 12v battery.
Mine was inflicted with some minor damage marks the first time because I shut the door with a fair amount of force, however I was able to buff out the marks.
The only way the paint could be seriously damaged is if someone decided to repeatedly slam the door shut many many times, not just the once or twice in the case of a flat battery.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Isotope Toast

Post by Isotope Toast »

londiniumperson wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:38 pm
Xeast wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:25 pm Sadly the paint on my Apillar got fucked up when the battery went flat and the towtruck came to get it to the shop, the towcompany wont take the damage and there no way for me to prove it was them even tho I never wven entered the car after the battery went flat on my first winter. So now im sitting here with a 800 euro deductible if I want the paint fixed
My battery, not surprisingly has gone flat many times and we all know that the window only damages the paint if the door is shut without it dropping the window down, which happens with a flat 12v battery.
Mine was inflicted with some minor damage marks the first time because I shut the door with a fair amount of force, however I was able to buff out the marks.
The only way the paint could be seriously damaged is if someone decided to repeatedly slam the door shut many many times, not just the once or twice in the case of a flat battery.
Sadly, this is not true. My 12V went flat once. I closed the door once normal (me getting in the car to check what was going on (middle of winter)), then tried to close it again when I got out (softer this time, because it felt weird the first time). One of those times took a nice chunk out of the a-pillar, about a 1/2 inch in diameter. :(
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Somehow I failed to find this topic earlier this week after my 12v battery completely died, upon checking it was at 9.4v

After trawling the internet for a replacement for the best value battery I ended up with same one: Yuasa Silver 5000 Series YBX 5053 50AH at a cost of about £70 from Halfords, using a trade card/Topcashback & e-gift card via a work discount site.

A point to note, I picked it up late yesterday afternoon and when I went to fit it today I thought I'd bought the wrong one because when I took off the plastic terminal caps the posts were a lot smaller than the original battery. Luckily I turned the caps over and discovered that tight inside there were adapters to increase the post size.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Also I took heed of EEEE's advice because only a couple of weeks ago I dropped a 10mm socket into the engine bay and ended up taking off the undertray :lol:
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Just to add, I recently went on holiday for 2 weeks, and was pleasantly surprised to find the e 12v wasn't flat when I got home. It was not plugged into the mains.

When I unlocked / locked with the fob (to check if it was dead or not), I later checked the BM2 and noticed that this action initiated full 14.6v charging for a full 50mins (the car was not entered or used, just lock/unlock via the fob). I'm not sure if that's normal behaviour or new since the new handles (perhaps module/software update also?)

Slightly annoying that the car needed to be woken up to initiate the charging. the battery voltage was at 12.40v having been parked up/left on 12.64v 15 days earlier (the previous journey was short, and did not initiate the 12v charging which can happen if the 12v system is close to 13v which can happen when we have temperature swings)
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

It will be interesting to see if you observe the same charging cycles as I do. Since I never had the bm2 on the original/defunct battery, I don't have a 'normal' to compare to. The oversize battery in mine shouldn't affect it that much, but I think the move to the yuasa enhanced lead acid will show some difference in the charging behaviour compared to the original
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Sousaphone

Post by Sousaphone »

My 12V battery went unstable on me earlier this week and I received absolutely craptacular service from the dealer as expected. They did sling me an expensive replacement battery, but unfortunately couldn't find the two minutes to replace it within the coming three weeks. Replacing it isn't hard if you've got a 10 mm socket, though.

Took the old battery to a relative who just happens to be a mechanic (though sadly not EV-trained yet) for testing. It topped out at 12.17V and 50% capacity after a mere three and a half years of active use and about six months in the car pre-delivery. We were not impressed.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

The oe battery is crap. I drop tested it to 10.5v at 2.25amps and it only gave me about 19ah instead of the 45ah rated. It was only 2 and bit years from registration, so perhaps 3 or 4 years old in total.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post