Compact Type2-Type2 Charging Cable

All Honda E related discussions
hondaero

Post by hondaero »

Hi,

I'm looking for a more compact/light Type2-Type2 cable for regular AC charging.
I'm wondering if a 1 phase 32A 3m could be (much) more compact.

Any advice / example / link is appreciated.

Thanks,
~amo~
2023 Honda e Red Advance on 16" Michelin 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.

MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

Have you considered a coiled option? In a way it takes less space and should be easier to take out and put away. I don't have one, but I've seen it in use and considering it myself. The only issue I can see with this option is that it might put an additional stress on the charging port if stretched sideways. Just a random link from Amazon
www.amazon.co.uk/EV-Wired-Electric-Vehi ... B092MYLX93
hondaero

Post by hondaero »

The one you pointed above looks interesting and much more compact then the 5m 3 phases coiled I've tested. Also the price is no bad.
It gets on the short list :)

Thanks,
~amo~
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

I jumped into the rabbit hole of reaearching the available options of the coiled cables (ended up ordering one myself :D ) It seems that there are a couple of things to keep in mind.

1. 1 or 3 phase. To my understanding the E supports only 1 phase, so there is no point to get a thicker 3 phase cable.

2. 16A or 32A. Defines how much juice one can get with the cable, where 16 on one phase equals to 3,6KW. The higher the amperage the thicker the cable will be.

3. The lenght. Seems like not a brainer, but 5 meters of coiled cable equals to 3 meters of useable lenght. They are measuring the lenght of the cable in a completely outstretched position, which is not realistic.

Since I have a proper type2 cable provided by Honda and my working place wallbox provides 3,6KW, I ended up ordering 16A one phase 5 meters (3 usable) as the most compact option possible. Hopefully, I didn't misunderstand anything and it will work as intended :)
green1

Post by green1 »

MaXPainT wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:07 am I jumped into the rabbit hole of reaearching the available options of the coiled cables (ended up ordering one myself :D ) It seems that there are a couple of things to keep in mind.

1. 1 or 3 phase. To my understanding the E supports only 1 phase, so there is no point to get a thicker 3 phase cable.

2. 16A or 32A. Defines how much juice one can get with the cable, where 16 on one phase equals to 3,6KW. The higher the amperage the thicker the cable will be.

3. The lenght. Seems like not a brainer, but 5 meters of coiled cable equals to 3 meters of useable lenght. They are measuring the lenght of the cable in a completely outstretched position, which is not realistic.

Since I have a proper type2 cable provided by Honda and my working place wallbox provides 3,6KW, I ended up ordering 16A one phase 5 meters (3 usable) as the most compact option possible. Hopefully, I didn't misunderstand anything and it will work as intended :)
Can you link this please (assuming it's not the one in the Amazon link above)? ;)
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

For some reason Amazon doesn't stock it. Basically it is this but coiled:
www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B087QHRLYS

They do list one phase 32A coiled one:
www.amazon.de/-/en/EV-Electric-Vehicle- ... B08NKBH4QM

The 16A weights 1,5 kg, while the 32A weights almost 3 kg, so it is twice as bulky.

And just to prove that such cables do exist, here is a link to a local store in Lithuania I actually ended ordering from:
www.topocentras.lt/automobiliu-prekes/e ... is-3m.html

My guess is that one phase 32A is more universal for a type 2 cable, therefore, it is more difficult to find a type 2 cable with granny cable capabilities :D
hondaero

Post by hondaero »

let us know your experiences once it arrives ... i I thought the 1 phase 32A is thinner than 3 phases 32A but I might be wrong ...

thanks
~amo~
MaXPainT

Post by MaXPainT »

OEM Type2 Honda cable vs EV+ coiled 5m (3m usable) 16A 1 phase cable. Boot for scale :D

Media (1).jpg

Media.jpg

hondaero

Post by hondaero »

Woow ... that's quite an optimisation :)
In the meanwhile, I've ordered the EV Wired cable you've mentioned above. I'll post once here and tested.

Thanks
~amo~

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post