Dash Camera Installation

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I'm looking at fitting a dash cam to my e, ideally I was hoping to fit it to the top of windscreen on the passenger side however the wipers don't clear the screen very high up so it looks like it will have to go on the drivers side.
Here a couple of photos showing the issue:

Passenger View (Custom).jpg

Driver View (Custom).jpg

2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Isn't it the case that the sucker sits over the unswept area on the passenger side anyway, with the lens of the cam looking through the swept area of screen 4-5cm cm below it?
tcg68

Post by tcg68 »

I have my dashcam and haven't installed it yet. It's a real shame this isn't a capability of the car already.
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

tcg68 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:07 am I have my dashcam and haven't installed it yet. It's a real shame this isn't a capability of the car already.
Nothing is stopping Honda from adding it in a future software update. Being a software engineer for 20 years myself, I know that you can only do so much before a deadline given X amount of resources. It’s always a trade-off between time, money and capacity.

Let’s be lucky we live in a time where we get OTA software updates, so we will see improvements over time. Consumers simply demand it nowadays, which means Honda doesn’t have a choice.

I, for one, remain positive and I am really looking forward to driving mine in a few weeks time.
londiniumperson

Jaws wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:58 am Isn't it the case that the sucker sits over the unswept area on the passenger side anyway, with the lens of the cam looking through the swept area of screen 4-5cm cm below it?
It depends on the dashcam, I've just taken a NextBase 312GW out of my old car & this has a sucker fitting (this could be fitted on the passenger side), or if you have one the best value for money dashcams (VIOFO) without a sucker fitting then this probably would also be OK.
However my son is selling his car as well but not replacing it, so I'm looking at fitting his Blackvue DR750S-1CH which due to the lens location will realistically only fit on the drivers side.
Larbor

Post by Larbor »

As for native dashcam functionality, I would me more interested in “guard mode”. I have had 3 wing mirrors kicked off for fun, and once they stole the glass after forcing the mirror out (it was auto folded). £60 to replace glass.
I would have loved to have this on camera
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

renedekat wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:51 pm As for native dashcam functionality, I would me more interested in “guard mode”. I have had 3 wing mirrors kicked off for fun, and once they stole the glass after forcing the mirror out (it was auto folded). £60 to replace glass.
I would have loved to have this on camera
Well I suppose that's one thing that won't ever happen to your Honda e. :lol:
londiniumperson

I've decided to fit the Blackvue dash cam on the driver's side because I have found out that I can power it from the OBDII port (which is in the driver's footwell) using the Blackvue Conecta cable, that also has the battery discharge protection so parking mode can be used and it's cheaper & more convenient than the magic pro.
Here's some photos of how easy it was to do a tidy install. The switch on the OBDII connector switches between normal (switches off after car locked) & parking power mode (stays powered on when car is locked to capture any parking/motion incidents, subject to the low voltage battery remaining above 12v) for the dash cam.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

Did you remove any cover to get to the ODBII port?
Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Tidy job with the camera installation Londi.
Very brave removing the A-pillar trims 😀
How easy was the trim removal? I guess it depends on the flexibility of the plastic
Thanks for the photos. It’s very useful for the forum to document enhancements

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post