Sounds restricted as AMP is in protective mode

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
bogga

Post by bogga »

SO, driving along in the glorious sunshine, listening to music when the sound cuts out and I get this message on the screen:

"Sounds restricted as AMP [sic] is in protective mode"

Sound then stays off for the next 15minutes, and then starts working again........ anyone else seen this?

Now, I'm assuming the amp is overheating, and I know it was a hot day today... but I don't think a British summer should break it!

Time for a garage visit?

Joolsdc

Post by Joolsdc »

Yes Boggo. Not seen that notice

Loud, banging tewwwnnnnz? 😂
rickwookie

Post by rickwookie »

I always crank mine up, but I haven't while also driving in the dizzy heat of the British Summer at a scorching *checks notes* 21°C.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

That happened to me in long drives last summer with the infotainment system completely shutting down.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
bogga

Post by bogga »

FDAD wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:02 pm That happened to me in long drives last summer with the infotainment system completely shutting down.
Design fault then? Where is the amp?
Designerroger

Post by Designerroger »

FDAD wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:02 pm That happened to me in long drives last summer with the infotainment system completely shutting down.
Sounds like overheating? :roll:
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

I'd imagine a fair bit of the electronics is tucked in behind the displays, sounds like they need to route some cooling behind there, the top gets fairly toasty in direct sun being a dark colour and mines a blue car it can only be worse in all black cars.
Ex e owner
Joesiris

Post by Joesiris »

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread but I just had this happen to me driving in 5C weather. Definitely my fault, was listening to Rage Against the Machine VERY loud while
commuting.

Interesting fact though, I normally run the Sub at +2 ticks above default settings. I also listen to music at the same volume level as I was listening to Rage, but normally it’s hiphop or reggae or something. So I guess Rage raged my amp. Super weird, I feel like I’ve stressed the amp more before without issue.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Joesiris wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:32 am Hi All,

I know this is an old thread but I just had this happen to me driving in 5C weather. Definitely my fault, was listening to Rage Against the Machine VERY loud while
commuting.

Interesting fact though, I normally run the Sub at +2 ticks above default settings. I also listen to music at the same volume level as I was listening to Rage, but normally it’s hiphop or reggae or something. So I guess Rage raged my amp. Super weird, I feel like I’ve stressed the amp more before without issue.
If it's not something that happens often, don't worry too much.. :)
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

If the music was clipped ie a square wave it could explain the issue.
Ex e owner